HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2007, 01:08 AM
It is a good day to fly..
Savage, MN
Joined Oct 2004
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
interesting Idea but as yr chart stands it's little more than a listing of available servos.
ONLY way to make any kind of an intelligent comparo it to actually Test 'em all. Yup.. compare them directly... same tester,same day, same tests.
A smattering of widespread personal anecdotes is less than revealing or useful .
Perhaps IF you had hundreds of entries with a couple of dozen 'opinions' for EACH servo listed, Then some usable pattern might emerge.
Otherwise it doesn't take a Genius to believe that a $30 Jr is likely gonna be 'better' than a $9 one.. Geez.
Hi Bare,

I think I will have to disagree with you a bit, at least on part of your statement.

I agree that at this point the spreadsheet is primarily just a listing of the available servos in the 9g size category. However, I disagree with your assertion that personal anecdotes are not revealing or useful. I believe that they certainly can be. Although I also agree that actual hands on testing of each servo would also be useful. But at this point no one is rushing to send me samples of all of their servos to test, and even if they did, I don't have the equipment to test them properly anyway. In addition that would not tell me anything about how well the servo lives over time. That is were the anecdotal evidence comes in handy.

You also make the point that a $30 JR servo is going to be better than a $9 one. I should certainly hope so, but I don't believe that that is always the case. However, where I think this exercise will prove helpful is in determining what is the best "bang for the buck" servo at a particular price point. Here is an example:

The E-Flite S75 costs about $14.00 and is distributed by the same company that distributes JR (Horizon). This is one servo that has gotten a very poor vote in this exercise, and from what I have read in other threads it is not very well thought of overall. In comparison, the Hitec HS-55 also costs about $14.00. However, it has gotten overall very good votes in this exercise, and from what I have read in other threads, while it is not perfect, it is generally pretty well thought of at its price point.

You also stated that if we had "a couple of dozen 'opinions' for EACH servo listed, Then some usable pattern might emerge." I could not agree with you more on this one. That is why I need everyone’s votes. The votes are the 'opinions' that I need to make this chart really useful. Without them, it really is little more than a list of servos.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Jay B.
Treker-1701 is offline Find More Posts by Treker-1701
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2007, 01:28 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treker-1701
Hi Bare,

... In addition that would not tell me anything about how well the servo lives over time. That is were the anecdotal evidence comes in handy...

Jay B.
If anecdotal comments of long term service life is one of your goals, then in all fairness, one of the top servos (IMHO) on your list will not get many votes. I refer again to the Futaba S3114. It's only been on the market for a few weeks!.... replacing the S3110... essentially the same specs, but they added a better motor that can handle 6V input. So, maybe the listing for Futaba S3114 should be S3110/S3114? I give the S3110 a 10/10 for all around performance size and cost.

I had 2 of my first 6 HS-55 malfunction right out of the box... one would not center the same in both directions, and one moved in large steps instead of small increments when stroked. Those were the last of those I bought, but the other 4 are still in use and performing OK. Based on this, I'd rate the HS-55 about a 3! And I had 2 GWS NARO-STD and one GWS-PICO burn out after about a year of use.. rating maybe a 6.

Your ratings are for quality and value. How do you factor performance into those? I could have a really well built servo that lasts forever and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but is a real slow-moving, low torque slug... maybe just the ticket for lowering retracts, but would be a disaster on a 3D or pattern plane, perhaps.

I'm not trying to throw a wrench into your efforts... just trying to understand how the ratings are supposed to work.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 21, 2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 05:20 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,475 Posts
Jay,

I thinking you're trying to swim upstream on this one. I thought with the hundreds, maybe thousands, of folks here that must use servos they could drop a note or two saying this one or that one was good for one reason or another. I just don't understand the resistance in trying to help out others with sharing their experience with a specific servo.

The question is not hard, nor is it hard to answer. It's the onus of the OP to compile the data, that's the hard part. He was just asking for some opinions, plain and simple.

The only way I can make sense of it is to believe the reason no one wants to assist is because it wasn't their idea and since it wasn't, it's pointless anyway. That train of thought saddens me.

Good luck Jay. It looks like the only way you will be able to gather the data you need is to continue to watch the posts and extrapolate the information amidst other comments and take notes. Maybe in a year or two you'll have a useable product.

Thanks for trying though it was a good thought.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Feb 02, 2007, 06:10 AM
Joined Sep 2003
420 Posts
It's a great idea and I wholeheartedly support the effort. It's "Consumer Reports" for servos...what's not to like. I just don't have any 9 gram servos or I'd pipe in with something to contribute.

Greg S
SundayFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SundayFlyer
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:03 AM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
828 Posts
I've had great luck with both the Tower Pro and the Hextronics. They seem to be about the same thing, so I'd rate the TP at 8/9 and the HXT900 at 8/10 (due to its LOW price). BTW, the Tower Pro servos are available at rchotdeals for 7.99
Chatenever is offline Find More Posts by Chatenever
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:29 AM
Savage, MN
Joined Oct 2004
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
If anecdotal comments of long term service life is one of your goals, then in all fairness, one of the top servos (IMHO) on your list will not get many votes. I refer again to the Futaba S3114. It's only been on the market for a few weeks!.... replacing the S3110... essentially the same specs, but they added a better motor that can handle 6V input. So, maybe the listing for Futaba S3114 should be S3110/S3114? I give the S3110 a 10/10 for all around performance size and cost.

I had 2 of my first 6 HS-55 malfunction right out of the box... one would not center the same in both directions, and one moved in gain steps in steps instead of small increments when stroked. Those were the last of those I bought, but the other 4 are still in use and performing OK. Based on this, I'd rate the HS-55 about a 3! And I had 2 GWS NARO-STD and one GWS-PICO burn out after about a year of use.. rating maybe a 6.

Your ratings are for quality and value. How do you factor performance into those? I could have a really well built servo that lasts forever and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but is a real slow-moving, low torque slug... maybe just the ticket for lowering retracts, but would be a disaster on a 3D or pattern plane, perhaps.

I'm not trying to throw a wrench into your efforts... just trying to understand how the ratings are supposed to work.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your votes and comments on the Futaba S3110/S3114 servos, as well as the others. I'll add your votes to the list. Thanks for your participation.

As far as how I relate performance to the quality and value ratings, let me see if I can explain my thinking a bit more in these areas.

Quality: In my way of thinking the quality rating relates to how well the servo is built, how well it does the things that all servos are supposed to do well, such as return to a consistant center position, and does is perform as advertised. In my mind the "performance" part of the question is implied as part of the quality rating in the "perform as advertised" portion. I also have included the manufacturers published performance numbers as part of my spreadsheet to help people in the selection of the proper servo for the particular application in mind. As you mention, as slow slug would not be a good choice for a 3D plane.

Value: The value rating relates the quality and performance of a particular servo to its cost. If the quality and performance of a particluar servo is really great, but it is twice the cost of a servo of similar quality and performance, then the value rating for that servo would be lower. I think of value as a quality-performance/cost ratio. The greater the quality-performance for a given dollar spent, the greater the value.

All things being equal though, wouldn't the holy grail for a servo be one that has loads of torque for its size, is speedy, is well built so that it doesn't constantly need replacement gear sets, centers well and consistantly, has low slop/no slop, and is low cost to boot? Maybe the Futaba S3110 and its replacement the S3114 fit this description best, or maybe another servo does. I don't know, but that is what I am trying to figure out with this little exercise.

Regards,

Jay B.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:34 AM
Savage, MN
Joined Oct 2004
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayFlyer
It's a great idea and I wholeheartedly support the effort. It's "Consumer Reports" for servos...what's not to like. I just don't have any 9 gram servos or I'd pipe in with something to contribute.

Greg S

Thanks for the comments Greg. I really appreciate it. The "Consumer Reports" for servos is exactly where I am trying to go with this.

Now, if not having any 9g servos is the only thing that is holding you back, go get some and contribute!

Later,

Jay B.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 10:40 AM
Savage, MN
Joined Oct 2004
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Chateneve
I've had great luck with both the Tower Pro and the Hextronics. They seem to be about the same thing, so I'd rate the TP at 8/9 and the HXT900 at 8/10 (due to its LOW price). BTW, the Tower Pro servos are available at rchotdeals for 7.99

Thanks for the votes Robert. I'll log them in.

Yeah, the Hextronic and Tower Pro sevos look so similar in the pictures that I was wondering if they may actually be one and the same, just with different lables. I'll have the Hextronic HXT900's soon, but I'll have to pick up a couple of the Tower Pros so that I can compare them directly to one another to see just how much alike they really are.

Regards,

Jay B.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 12:40 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Hi Treker-1701 -

I don't think the servos you have listed as being manufactured by Dymond are in fact manufactured by them. They are available from other suppliers as well as Dymond like Mark Miller http://www.isthmusmodels.com/ and Polk's. They are also known as X-micro servos.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Last edited by Ron Williams; Feb 02, 2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 02:42 PM
Savage, MN
Joined Oct 2004
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Williams
Hi Treker-1701 -

I don't think the servos you have listed as being manufactured by Dymond are in fact manufactured by them. They are available from other suppliers as well as Dymond like Mark Miller http://www.isthmusmodels.com/ and Polk's. They are also known as X-micro servos.
Hi Ron,

I think what you are seeing is an example of private labeling in action. This is a practice where the retailer of a product will contract with a manufacturer to have an item made to their specifications and to be labeled with their brand and model number. Sometimes they just take an off the shelf product that the company already makes and slap a new label on it, and sometimes the changes are a little more involved. There is nothing wrong with this as it is a common practice in business, and has been for a long time. As an example in the RC hobby industry Tower Hobbies has been selling private labeled transmitters, servos, and receivers for as long as I can remember. They are usually just re-badged Futaba products, and in the case of some of their servos, Hitec products.

As I have been going through the research for this spreadsheet, I have developed the strong suspicion that several of these servos are in fact coming from the same manufacturers, just with different brand names on them. Again, nothing wrong with that. However, I think it would be interesting to know which ones are the same but with maybe a different color case and a different brand name.

Here is a bit of related trivia for you. Did you know that Microsoft does not actually make a single X-Box? That's right; they don't make a single one. Instead Microsoft contracts with companies around the world to manufacturer X-Boxes to their specific design specifications, and the "contract manufacturing" companies that come in with the lowest bid(s) win the contract(s). Oh well, such is the world today. Most of the manufacturing is moving to the Orient, and that trend is not going to change anytime soon. I'm just glad we still have good "ideas" coming out of North America and other western parts of the world such as Europe, but that could all change as time goes on.

Regards,

Jay B.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 05:49 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,475 Posts
Here's some more servo info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636179
Old Feb 02, 2007, 11:46 PM
Joined Sep 2003
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treker-1701
Now, if not having any 9g servos is the only thing that is holding you back, go get some and contribute!

Later,

Jay B.
Well, these are on the way from bidproduct.com . I don't know the manufacturer, but they certainly look like dynam. Once in, I'll put them through their paces. $3.00 a pop, I couldn't resist. They've also had some good reviews down in the trade/sales area.

Greg S
SundayFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SundayFlyer
Old Feb 03, 2007, 07:46 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayFlyer
Well, these are on the way from bidproduct.com . I don't know the manufacturer, but they certainly look like dynam. Once in, I'll put them through their paces. $3.00 a pop, I couldn't resist. They've also had some good reviews down in the trade/sales area.

Greg S
Greg,

What was the shipping costs? Let us know how long it takes to get to your place please. Biproduct, hmmm. They certainly have some cheap stuff. Like to know if it's cheap cheap or cheap and decent.

Frank
Old Feb 03, 2007, 09:31 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
I wish I new why my brother and I have had so much success with the S-75 servos and so many others are totally disatisfied with them. Been flying 25 or so for a solid year and not one has failed for me and brother only had one. He did fall on the plane so we don't count that one. No problems with jitter, hunting or stripping.

Great idea for a thread. I am looking for some smaller 4 to 5 gm now and a reference there would be great too.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Feb 03, 2007, 10:44 AM
Savage, MN
Joined Oct 2004
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins

<SNIP>

Great idea for a thread. I am looking for some smaller 4 to 5 gm now and a reference there would be great too.
I have a tab started in my spreadsheet for the 5g servos, I just haven't gotten it far enough along yet to present it here. Keep an eye out for it though...

Jay B.
Last edited by Treker-1701; Feb 03, 2007 at 11:12 AM.