HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2002, 12:37 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined May 2002
63 Posts
Yet Another Brushless Switchback Thread

Sorry for the 146,793rd brushless Switchback thread, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer about running an Astroflight Mighty Micro 010 (16turn) w/GWS EPS-300C-B gearbox on eight 720 NiMHs in my SB.

I am now fully aware that this combo will NOT tear up the sky on eight NiMHs, but still being a beginner/intermediate, that is not necessarily something I want to do (yet ). If I can find a setup with this powerplant that will provide at least NO LESS thrust or speed than the stock setup, I wouldn't mind spending the money to get...

* motor longevity
* lower current draw (longer runtimes + easier on batteries)
* less electrical noise
* etc.

Is this possible? Anybody out there actually doing this?

Current...
Gearbox: GWS EPS-300C-B
Motor: stock
Pinion: stock
Prop: GWS 9x7
Batteries: 8 x 720NiMH

Proposed...
Gearbox: GWS EPS-300C-B
Motor: Astro Flight Might Micro 010 (16turn)
Pinion: ??? (need help here)
Prop: ??? (need help here)
Batteries: 8 x 720NiMH

Again, I realize there are other setups that will give more thrust and speed, but I would be satisfied with thrust/speed performance similar to stock if I can reap the other benefits brushless systems provide.

Thanks in advance!
02ViperTwin is offline Find More Posts by 02ViperTwin
Last edited by 02ViperTwin; Sep 24, 2002 at 12:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2002, 02:52 PM
Moderated. Severely.
Sonoma County, California
Joined Apr 2002
450 Posts
I have to vote against it

I have an Astro 010. And I love it!!!! But I really belive that motor is meant for direct drive setups. If you want to swing a big prop, look at the mega series. 16/15/7 is what I have now. Price is really close to the astro setup, AND you don't need a gearbox for the Mega motor. I'm running a MiniLaser (very close to a switchback, but heavier!) and a 9x6 APC prop. Great perfomce, no gearbox.

I did run my Astro with a gearbox and was just not impressed But as soon as I built a direct drive plane for the astro I Loved it!

If you like the switchback 'style' of plane, I'd go with the Mega.
I've seen that motor for $69 (I think at NESAIL?) and the 18amp speed control was $49? So $120 verse whatever I paid for the Astro (I just can't remeber, but it was reaaaaal close) I think you'll be happier with the Mega.
Darren
TheAddler is offline Find More Posts by TheAddler
Old Sep 24, 2002, 02:58 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
If you are wanting the same performance as the 370s using the 720 batteries; then stuff in an AC1215/16 brushless in your GWS 'B' gearbox and fly (BEC has been flying his SB this way)!

When you want more performance, upgrade your battery to the 600s/1100s and go fly !!!! You want more? Then put a APC 10x7SF or a GWS 10x8 on it rather than a GWS 9x7 or APC 9x6SF. With my brushless, I currently fly with the 10x7 and really like it on the 'B' gearbox!!!

Nothing agaist the Mega motor; but the Mini AC is almost a drop in replacement of the 370 with the power of 400/480..... When (not if) I get the Flashback, I'll drop in the Mega 16/15/xx in it as the Flashback is a little bigger plane.
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Sep 24, 2002 at 03:19 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 03:07 PM
Moderated. Severely.
Sonoma County, California
Joined Apr 2002
450 Posts
Ahhh!!!

Good point. I had forgotten these new guys since I don't have one That is a good motor to look at. I've seen lots of good write-ups about them. And they are really small!
TheAddler is offline Find More Posts by TheAddler
Old Sep 24, 2002, 03:14 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Check out the following thread for more options. Keith K and GoEflight did exactly what you are proposing. I took a slightly different route and used a 14 turn 010 with the Astro 3.3:1 gearbox.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=37012

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=48822

With an APC 9x6" prop on 8 720's it had slightly less power than the stock 300/B. On 10 700's it has slight more power. Probably 9 cells would be about equal but I never tried 9. It flies even better with a 10x7 but it's too much for the NiMH cells, and it might be too many amps with 10 Nicads.

For stock type flying the Astro works fine, if you already have one try it out. It's easy to mount in the stock gearbox. I believe both Keith and Perry used the GWS pinion from the 300 drilled out to fit on the Astro shaft.

However the Mega's do look like a better alternative, if you are going to buy a new motor. Shame not to use the Astro if you already have it on hand.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 25, 2002, 08:37 AM
Bay Area, CA
Joined May 2002
63 Posts
Thanks so much for all your help, Guys!

Wading through the countless 'brushless' posts (good and bad) was completely overwhelming, but now I think I'm seeing there are really only several 'tried and true' BL options for the SB(?)...

Astro Flight Mighty Mini 010 Direct (16T) in stock gearbox (best on ten cells)

Astro Flight Mighty Mini 010 Geared (14T) (best on ten cells)

Mega Motors ACn16/15/7 or ACn16/15/6 direct

Model Motors Mini AC1215/16 in stock gearbox

Since I'd really prefer to stick with eight cells for now, it looks like I only have to decide between the last two options. Either way, sounds like the Castle Creations Phoenix-25 is one of the best ESCs to go with(?).

Thanks again!!!
Last edited by 02ViperTwin; Sep 25, 2002 at 08:42 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 09:36 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I should be stocking the Mega 16/15/7 and Phoenix soon...

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:36 AM
Bay Area, CA
Joined May 2002
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CoClimber
I should be stocking the Mega 16/15/7 and Phoenix soon...

Doug
Hey Doug,

FTR, how soon is soon? Also, will you be stocking any motor mounts for these motors?

Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:40 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
So which one of the Mega's to get, the 7 turn or 6 turn?

Wayne
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:19 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
BC,

I think you can go either way. The reason I went /6 rather than /7 is that all the programs/advice suggested this would be what matched my SEVEN cell 600AE packs best, I think most others use eight cell packs so the numbers for that may err towards the /7 - OTOH the lower the winds the faster the motor so /7 probably gives you a bit nore torque but a bit less speed than the /6

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:31 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks Cliff, that's exactly what I needed to know.

There seems to be a worldwide shortage of the 7 turn motors. I've had one on order for over two weeks (guess it's on backorder). And I see Dave doesn't have any 7's either.

Wayne
Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:45 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Yeah - the 7 turn motors are in short supply. Ken Mizell (Mega Motors USA) got a shipment in late last week and all the 7 turn motors from that shipment went to fill backorders.

I've now tried 8X1100 NiMHs on the miniAC in my SB, and early in the flight it has a thrust to weight of right at 1:1 on the 9X6 prop. I will be trying the 10X7.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 25, 2002, 02:52 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
BEC,

Did you 'notice' that the 1100 and 600 batteries push the AC1215/16 a little better than the 720s you have been flying LOL . I hope you were not disappointed . You don't sound very 'excited' . Just kidding here but wondering what your 'impression' was, as I have been flying this combo for some time and am really enjoying it. Oh, I'm using the APC 10x7SF at over 5000 feet. You're probably at a lower elevation which will push the motor harder than I am..... Just a heads up .
Last edited by rclark; Sep 25, 2002 at 03:31 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 03:58 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
I did post in another thread the results of those first two (and so far only) sorties on the 1100s. Short version: over 10 minutes of FUN per charge - and the ability to go darn near straight up at first.

Yes - there is quite a performance boost, but the landing speeds are up with the increase in weight (2.2 ounces for the battery, and about another 1/2 ounce for the 18A controller vs. the 8 A that was in it before) so landings on thick grass are hard on the retract legs. The plane just stops and flips - there is no rollout.

The 10X7 may be a bit much here then - I'm practically at sea level - but I imagine the 10X4.7 won't be enough. I guess I'll just have to try 'em. Motocalc predicts 23 ounces of thrust at about 13.5A at full throttle. That will be pushing that little motor really hard and it's probably too much for those cells, but I also should be able to accelerate going straight up..... I will have to learn left thumb discipline even more than I have so far.....
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 25, 2002, 04:04 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Somehow I missed those posts or forgot about them LOL -- getting closer to that 40th birthday you know . If you remember my previous post, the 10x4.7 was a BIG disappointment for me as it was down in speed and thrust compared to the 10x7 and 9x6. See how your experience goes with that prop.

Sorry to hear about the landings. May have to get the 'mower' out and chop to 1/2" LOL . I land on a semi smooth dirt field so landing speed is not a problem .....

It appears that the 1100s can handle the amps a little better than the 600s. Some are pushing 16A with them..... You'll just have to see. Mine are just 'warm' -- not 'hot' with the 10x7.
Last edited by rclark; Sep 25, 2002 at 04:13 PM.