HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2007, 05:50 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
177 Posts
Madsci Guy- no way for 1/2A Pacer.... look great model but too fast.... same model um the birdie 10-15 by Global. I been thinking about the Pacer. will see about that this year or so. (thinking) upgrade the pico or mini retract on it that will be looking GGOODD. Later.....

Steve.
FlyNow,LandLater is offline Find More Posts by FlyNow,LandLater
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:15 AM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
177 Posts
1/2A Airplane Trainer

here,,,, name that r/c plane? THANKS.....
FlyNow,LandLater is offline Find More Posts by FlyNow,LandLater
Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,255 Posts
That's a 1/2A SST, alrighty.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:40 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNow,LandLater
Madsci Guy- no way for 1/2A Pacer.... look great model but too fast.... same model um the birdie 10-15 by Global. I been thinking about the Pacer. will see about that this year or so. (thinking) upgrade the pico or mini retract on it that will be looking GGOODD. Later.....

Steve.
Pacers, too fast? I never found them to be so, but then again, I flew Chuck'rs and GLH's too. Compared to a 1/2A Shrike, they were very slow.

My personal opinion, I wouldn't stick retracts or anything extra on a Mach None or Pacer, or similar 1/2A plane. When they were at 11 oz or so they flew like a dream. If the thing was heavy, it would be too fast, maybe. The instructions talked about people putting a .15 on the Pacer, but then they said it was more like model rocketry, and recommended against it.

You're right, the 1/2A Birdy is pretty close to a Pacer. Very pretty lines, being a scale model of a Bridi Dirty Birdy, one of the best RC plans ever designed.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Mar 05, 2008, 08:54 PM
Steve Benesh
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2004
27 Posts
Here's a pic of the 1/2A SST I've been flying for the past couple of seasons.
Steve Benesh is offline Find More Posts by Steve Benesh
Old Mar 05, 2008, 09:09 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,561 Posts
That's a great looking plane, Steve. Did you use the foam wing with capstrips or do a built up wing?

Looks like you have a super place to fly -- quite wide open.

andrew
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Mar 05, 2008, 09:47 PM
Steve Benesh
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2004
27 Posts
Built right from what Hobby Shack put in the box - foam wing with cap strips. I have one wing kit left so I can build one more of these planes someday. If you want to build one, the plans are still available from RCM. Once you get the plans, you can make a template of the rib, send it to the AMA and they have a service that will cut you a set of foam cores. It's a fairly easy plane to build. I did change mine from the rubber band set-up for wing attachment to a more conventional small nylon bolt.
Our club (http://www.wrcf.rchomepage.com/) has a nice field just southwest of town. We rent about 5 acres from an antique steam & gas engine club that purchased a 40 acre farm for their use. There is only one problem with that field - a very large "plane eating oak tree" straigh out from the pits and right in-line with the downwind leg of the main runway. See picture of it after a meal of Piper Cub.
Steve
Steve Benesh is offline Find More Posts by Steve Benesh
Old Mar 05, 2008, 10:43 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benesh
<snip>...If you want to build one, the plans are still available from RCM. Once you get the plans, you can make a template of the rib, send it to the AMA and they have a service that will cut you a set of foam cores. ...<snip>....See picture of it after a meal of Piper Cub.
Steve
Thanks. I've had a plan set for quite some time, but it's always good to remind folks that the RCM plans service is still operational. The site is www.rcmmagazine.com . I built my own foam cutter, but didn't know that the AMA had a cutting service -- that's good info.

One of the first things I usually do with a new set of plans is cut templates from formica, both for cores and for cutting ribs -- gives me the option of both builds.

Those plane eating trees crop up everywhere. Many years ago I was flying a .020 powered freeflight in an 80 acre field on the farm -- there was one tall tree in a fencerow -- need I say more.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:00 PM
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
i have a SureFlite Baby Turkey that I bought from Hobby Shack in the late 70's and started building. The instructions said to use contact cement on the wings for the balsa sheeting. I used 3M contact cement from the hardware store and watched the wing melt! That is how the kit has stayed for decades. I do keep an eye out for a built up wing to use instead but have not found one.

Can anyone tell me if the 1/2A SST from RCM (and Hobby Shack) was the same plane as the Sureflite Baby Turkey? They look the same and the plans or instruction sheet sure looks similar.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
I think the Sure Flite cores are an exact replacement for the SST cores, aren't they? Sure Flite was a Hobby Shack brand, if memory serves.

Build one under 14 oz and they fly super. Stay away from 22 oz.

1/2A plans

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/
Mooney_Driver is offline Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:31 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,561 Posts
M_D

Check with Steve Adams at Select Hobbies. ACE constant chord wings are located at the bottom of the link. He usually keeps several sets on hand. The ACE wing should work for your SST.

andrew
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:39 AM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
820 Posts
Stevo go here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566354
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1