SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2007, 08:59 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
179 Posts
willin, nice plane and lovely color on that plane. E-plane? gotta be 1/2a plane(juz kiddin)... At first, I thought that is Four Star 40 by Sig. Re-V-Amped? never heard that name but nicely aircraft tho.... I'm drooling on that. t'care,
FlyNow,LandLater is offline Find More Posts by FlyNow,LandLater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:22 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
179 Posts
madsci guy- you are right about that, starting a name of club "---" what?, help me out!

Hogflyer- got a question, that NACA 2415 wing will work with 1/2A SST? But the span is 33" from stock. fly like a solo, put 45" of wingspan will be good. Wingspan: 30" that will be TOPGUN TYME! what do u think? it will work? I want 3 different size of wingspan on 1 plane. For example:Too much windy out there, put 30" on it. No windy day, put 45" on it. Sound good or bad? give me some advice. Thanks

I am going to order the plans by RCM's plans "1/2A SST". trying to find similar wing for that plane. Now, company got lighter weight for Foam than back of the day. they got blue foam, pink foam, better white foam, and what else? name a fews. T'care RCG-people.

FNLL.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
179 Posts
ok guys,,, listen. sum1 offer me for SST 40. let u know this plane for sale $80 shipped. anybody want it, see at for sale, fuel airplane. that I thread and looking for 1/2A sst kit or airframe for sale. wish ya luck with this 40 size SST so grab it and see who first.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:34 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
FNLL said:
"willin, nice plane and lovely color on that plane."
Actually this is Half-A-Hec's plane. It looks better on display than in the air. Devil of a thing to see when the sun is shining! That one needed a dark, overcast day to show well!

Thank you for thinking it was mine. Hec did a fine job with it that is for sure.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:50 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
179 Posts
willin, ops!!! thought uummm it yours, sorry about that. HEC's plane is the OUTSTANDING! what is the wingspan and the size of e-motor on it? any plans avialable for that? Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:31 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
179 Posts
andrew0820, thank for info about the ehobbies and the number for search. Do u have a plans for 1/2a sst before I order the plans by RCM next week. I want to make sure if everybody knows where the stock still there plans, foam wing, maybe somebody out there doin re-kit the plane again. who knows......wait and see, T'care.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:30 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,590 Posts
I have a set -- finding them may be another matter.

andrew
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:53 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,674 Posts
FlyNow,LandLater,

Are you familiar with the Astro Hog - kitted by Berkeley, Sig (and who knows who else). It was designed in 1956, won the 1957 Multi class at the Nats (I have a set of original plans from Model Airplane News April 1958). The Hog uses the NACA 2415 airfoil.

For a plane as small as the 1/2A SST, I think the NACA 2412 would be ideal. It'll be aerobatic, yet have very good, predictable low speed, stall and glide characteristics. Yet itíll also have great high speed and aerobatic capabilities.

I'll get with Hec and see if it's alright with him to send you a set of plans (since it was his design). They've been drawn in AutoCAD 2002 - do you have a cad that will open either dxf or dwg format?

Willin,

I've got close to 30 flights on Re-V-Amped. Scared the know you what out of Hec before he realized I was in control on the first flight. I've made that little bird do everything it's capable of (and probably some stuff it wasn't meant to do also). My mission is to break the wing in flight, but have not been able to do that yet - well designed and built. Really a great flying plane, but has a power off glide slope of 45 deg. That's why I went with the NACA 2412 on the redesign - to flatten out the glide while maintaining the aerobatic capabilities.

As far as the colors - I've found it easy to see. I haven't had any disorientation even during the wildest tumbles I forced it into (Hec can tell you more about my flying style with it) Most of the flying I've done has been no more than 100' out and 100' in altitude, but at times I've moved it close to 500'. Due to his single conversion receiver, I don't dare fly it any further away than that.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is online now Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Jan 26, 2007, 06:47 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
179 Posts
hogflyer,

Nope it wasn't me, sorry. when I am younger. flew with GLH II (foam wing) with .049 black widow with tank. 2 channel control by futaba (AM) couldn't remember exactly must be over 16 years ago. First time I saw Blue Angel, A-4. Same color on the GLH II. Looks good!, weight o.k., radio check-good, engine ran great!

Good News, at the flying field... every R/C flyer loved my new model and liked my color of Blue angle.

Bad News, good guy who taught me how to fly my R/C plane (Royal 40T) so I let him do my GLH II. I Launched it, all suddenly the GLH went fast! He said " whoa-ummm-I-think-not-umm-hold on" I said, ok. After 1 min. in the air and lost contact by futaba. Plane goes straight in level! into high tree I mean very very highest Tree. We looked for it and couldn't find it. So Many trees out there like a Jungle, unknow which tree.

Good News, I bought the GLH II (built-up wing) last year by RCU.... haven't built it yet. will do this Summer or after Springbreak...
Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:55 PM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jan 2007
77 Posts
I have a digital copy of the SST plans... if anybody wants a copy.
rainedave is offline Find More Posts by rainedave
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:56 PM
Steve Benesh
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2004
27 Posts
I've been flying a 1/2A SST regularly since early last summer. Had the kit laying around my shop for 15+ years and finally completed it last winter. Mine has a Novel .061 control line engine, Master Airscrew 6x4 prop cut down to a 5.3x4, Futaba standard size servos, Futaba micro receiver, and a AAA 4.8V NiMh battery pack. Covering is Monokote metallic red with white stars (similar to the photo on the kit's carton). Only significant modification I made was to convert this to a bolt-on wing rather than the rubber banded version. My second RC plane way back in 1978 was a 1/2 SST with a Cox TD.049 - was not the best of trainers!

In early September I decided to convert the plane over to sub-micro sized servos. It was then I learned a Hitec HS-55 servo rotates in the opposite direction of a standard Futaba servo - the plane went almost 100 feet before augering-in . It took me a couple of nites work to repair it. Since the repairs, it has old Litco micro servos (assembled from kits many years ago) for control. The Litco gears grind alot but still seem to function just fine.

This is an honest airplane but can be quite a handful of you have too much throw on the elevator - especially if you build it with the Monokote elevator hinge noted on the plans. I find it handles best with the recommended control throws as per the plans (minimal). If you have a computer radio, a setup with about 50% negative exponential on the ailerons and 60% negative on the elevator is quite comfortable. Vertical performance is not the best but could be improved with some carefully placed lightening holes (including some in the foam core wing), going 100% sub micro on all the radio equipment, and using light weight covering. Top speed is probably in the 55-60 MPH range (but looks a lot faster than that in the air). Two ounces of 15% nitro fuel will produce about 12 minutes of flying and that's enough as there is no way to shut it down once launched. It's so small and fast that it'll be out of practical visual range unless you keep an eye on it all the time. If you don't have a throttle on your engine, I'd recommend no more than one ounce of fuel on the maiden flight. An alternate to a throttle would be a solid pick-up in the fuel tank where you fly the plane inverted for a bit to shut it down. Dead stick landings with this plane are a cinch - just keep the nose slightly below the horizon and the speed up.

I noticed that someone else has posted a digitized version the plans for this plane here. They are enough to build from but you'll need someone to cut the foam cores. If you look around, I'm sure you can find several companies that will cut the cores. You'll probably need to send a pair aircraft plywood core templates along with your order.

When time permits, I'd like to build another with the spare Sure Flight 1/2A Contant Cord wing kit I have on hand and convert it to electric. With a brushless motor, Lipo batteries, all sub-micro radio equipment, and lots of lightening holes, it could be a fair electric plane as well - maybe better than the glow version.
Steve Benesh is offline Find More Posts by Steve Benesh
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:35 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
179 Posts
Steve Benesh, I just wonder, can you make it another one of 1/2A SST? t'care...

FlyNow,landLater.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:53 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
179 Posts
RCG-people,

I want the 1/2A SST back in kit. The problem is, if I can do with 1/2A SST to be in kit and sell it out for people really needs. like I said starting 25 kits and sale it until sold out. if people still order some more, then making 50 more kits. BUT one thing problem, How can I under to whom/that or other thing to deal with it and allow me to sell to the market. Hobby Shack is out of the production, few people still like the 1/2A SST. I don't want to be against the LAW and illegal's things etc.... where can I get permission from whom for that as-is undermarket or other way to do with it, please give me some advice and where can I contact to ???.... I had never done it before, I am doing first time to do with it. First time, just a one plane for sale as-is back in kit..Thanks for looking and helping me out for any advice, t'care.

flynow,landlater.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:38 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,276 Posts
I think the Sure Flite cores are an exact replacement for the SST cores, aren't they? Sure Flite was a Hobby Shack brand, if memory serves.

But if you want a better plane than a SST, Here's one. Man! They've gotten pricey!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACE-RC-1-2A-PACE...em120076196856

Build one under 14 oz and they fly super. Stay away from 22 oz.

1/2A plans

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Last edited by madsci_guy; Jan 31, 2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 05:24 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
179 Posts
GOODS NEWS! I Bought it from Ebay "1/2a trainer airplane model". Airframe only but unknow the name of the model that what they said on title. the way I looked it by Ebay: Kinda old but classic model and nice built from back of the day. ship arrived that I got it a week ago, looked around and measure it... suddenly..... I said myself that can't be 1/2A SST!!!! right here with me. unknow if I am correct for this model. I will picture it and post it soon. t'care

Steve.