SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2007, 07:12 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,749 Posts
Discussion
Extend ESC Wire Length to Receiver ???

Does anyone know if you can use a servo/aileron extension to extend the length of the wires going back to the receiver from the ESC ???

Will effect it in any way ???

Using a Jeti 77

Thanks in advance,

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2007, 08:08 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Tracon,

I have an installation in my 133% F-18 ParkJet where I added an 18" extension into the middle of my Reveiver lead on the ESC and have had no problems at all. This particular ESC was an Assan 50 amp unit. Instead of using a plug-in extension, I simply extended the wire itself. You can also use a plug-in extension, just make sure to tape the halves together or secure them with a twist-tie or something like that to make sure that they do not accidently pull apart later. Here are a couple photos from that build thread that shows what I did.

First, I cut the receiver lead in the middle and seperated each of the 3 wires to prep them for solder.

Next, I took a CD-ROM drive audio cable from an old computer and cut the ends off. I stripped the ends off the 3 wires and soldered them into place in between the 2 halves of the ESC lead. The wire colors are the same on both types of wire, so I soldered white to white, red to red, and I soldered the braided outer shield for the CD-ROM lead to the black wires. I put heat shring tubing on all the connections to cover them up when I was through soldering. Here is what it looked like after I was done. Now I could mount the ESC back in the tail end of the plane, next to the motor, and have the receiver lead reach up to the receiver that was located in the front of the plane, under the canopy hatch.

If you are using a seperate BEC, then you only need to extend the white and black wires, leaving the red wires disconnected. If you are planning on using the BEC in the speed controller, then all 3 wires need to be hooked up.

Hope that helps!

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2007, 08:16 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,529 Posts
i like the use of shielded cable.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:52 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,749 Posts
Wow thanks for all your effort here Lucien !!!

I'm going to do what you said and go the easy way using a plug in extension..

and yes I'll you the twist-ties...

Thanks Again,

Sam
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:16 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,320 Posts
Hi Tracon,
regardless of which way you go, solder in an extension (I'm with Lucien), or use a servo extension, just don't skimp on quality, go for the gold, plating that is and 20g. wire.
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:33 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,315 Posts
I typically change out all my ESC to throttle wires board level to the lighter gauge that Castle uses on their 10 amp CC. A good source for this wire is from a chorded mouse cable for computers, you know the ones you can buy at yard sales for .50. It typically has 5 conductor premium 30+ strands around 28g.

I typically twist the wires for added interferrence measure. Of the longest setup I have around 8" on 4 servos on a 1.5 amp intenral BEC I've yet to expieriance an issue.
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Old Jan 23, 2007, 03:04 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,749 Posts
Sounds good guys,

Thanks for all the help...

Sam