HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2001, 02:04 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Symetrical airfoil for a e-fun fly - Which one ?

What would be a good arifoil to use for an electric fun fly plane ?
Something like a Big Lil Hotnet or a Giant Tiny.

I have the Profili program and would like to use one of those.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2001, 06:17 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Something that looks like an airfoil will be fine! A local guy with a Lil' hornet used the beds of the cores from that model to make another simple fun flyer!! It flies just great! Talk about your 'thrown together' model..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 09, 2001, 09:30 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
As this sounds like a slow flying plane, try the selig 1016. Its very thick so it should perform well at high angles of attack, and its drag will be inconsequential at low speeds.

I use profi too. Luv it!
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Sep 10, 2001, 09:55 AM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
Hi Dean,

I just loaded the coordinates for the S1016 from the UIUC site into CompuFoil, wow, that thing looks like a supersonic drop tank or somethin'. It's really interesting. Have you used it in a funfly plane before? It's high point is way back there at over 41%. The UIUC file says it's an "HPV Airfoil"....any idea what that means? Perhaps High Performance Vehicle??

Just curious,
Milton Dickey
DICKEYBIRD is offline Find More Posts by DICKEYBIRD
Old Sep 12, 2001, 09:48 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,485 Posts
Personally I'd play safe and stick to something like NACA 0015!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 12, 2001, 05:39 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
After Deanin put up the Selig name I looked at the 1016 and the 1046- 17%. The latter looks more like what I had in mine.
I'll look at the NACA 0015.
Thanks for the replies/input all.
Old Sep 12, 2001, 08:12 PM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,138 Posts
I've found the selig 8035 to work well in a modified "thickened" form. It's only somewhere around 14% thick. I'm using variants of it,..thickened to 20% and to 17% and it works well. It doesn't stall easily at 20%, so snaps and spins are difficult, but at 17% you can get enough seperation to stall for snaps and spins if enough control throw is used. My big E3D is at close to 20% thick using this base airfoil, thickened with profili, and it has wonderfull slowflight characteristics, but doesn't want to snap or spin. I've got it setup with 45 degrees movement each way on everything and the CG has been as far back now as 48% (no that's not a misprint), currently right at 40% to get rid of the pitch divergence. I'm flying the slightly smaller version with the 8035 thickened only to 17% and it is just in that realm where it will snap and spin but retains very good slowflight and stall characteristics,..i.e. a "soft" stall unless radical control throw is used. Prof. Selig did design this airfoil specifically for RC aerobatics. Someday I'll have to use the "real" version at the designed thickness on something, but that doesn't fit the intended purpose for the E3D.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Sep 13, 2001, 12:33 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Heres a link to the Profili shareware airfiol program.
Download it, save i, it's got 1801 different foils.

http://digilander.iol.it/marco1979/download.htm

Enjoy

Kevin