SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2007, 06:30 AM
london
Joined Nov 2006
8 Posts
Build Log
Scratch built F4 from Thorjet plans for 120 mm

Hi guys
If is of any interest to anybody, i have started building from scratch an F4 Phantom from Thorjet plans originaly designed for Thorjet ducted fan unit with OS 46, for 120 mm fan. I was thinking of fitting a OS 91 first and maybe later an 120 mm fan. I have the OS already, so i might as well use it. But i will make provisions for a quick conversion to a 120 mm fan.
I will attach some pictures when i figure it out how. The F4 will have Spring air retracts and full flaps.
Thank you,
Luis
londonboy is offline Find More Posts by londonboy
Last edited by londonboy; Jan 22, 2007 at 08:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:29 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
Cool Luis, these kits really get over looked.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:46 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
also a thought for E conversion. You might want to push the fan back as far as you can on that rail. Since you will have weight shifted from motor to cells, you will need that stuff pushed back so that cells can go in the nose, otherwise they will both want to occupy the same space in the middle pretty close to that splitter.

Barry
Old Jan 23, 2007, 03:30 AM
london
Joined Nov 2006
8 Posts
Barry
I was thinking of trying to mount the cels between the rails and side of fuse. Not sure about the size of the bat packs, but one can only hope.
At this very moment i just can't decide what to use to power it up. I'm split between the icdf and edf. What puts me off electric is the all in one go price (about £1000) compared with the fact that i already have the icdf setup. Although i would love the electric version.
Thank's for your comments, they are lovely plans and the scale is very good. I am not an expert builder, but i found it so easy to build this. My first from plans.

Cheers
Old Jan 23, 2007, 04:11 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
well yeah electric isnt cheap, thats for sure. If your kinda new to it also then yeah I'd say stick with ICDF and get into E slow with smaller plane.

Barry
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:48 AM
Trondelag, Norway
Joined Mar 2003
258 Posts
Luis, great to see you build one from this plan. Built this F-4 many years ago powered by Thorjet/OS46. It lasted only a few minutes caused by elevator failure..the long steel wire pushrods where too sloppy and ended with flutter and loss of control
Today I would definately go for electric with 120mm fans/equipment are becoming available. Although very costly ,but much more reliable and "clean " Also more powerful I belive ? I `m watching !

Trond
trondb is offline Find More Posts by trondb
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:25 AM
london
Joined Nov 2006
8 Posts
Trond,
I won't be using the steel cables to save some weight, also i will be lightning the fuse a bit.
Bary,
i'm not that new to it, it's just that this is my first build from plans. I also have a West Wings Hunter with Wemotec midi and Typhon 2x20 and four cell lypo. I already have a F4 but in prop form with a OS 55 AX, a Flair Cub 80'', a CAP 231 and 2 or 3 electric planes. But yes, this is the bigest ducted fan plane that i will be flying.
At the moment, i'm stuck. I need some 010 thou lithoplate and i just don't have time to go and find some.
I'll keep you guys posted.
Cheers
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:39 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
more than anything I meant new 120mm stuff, and doing E swaps from gas kits The it can be tricky sometimes figureing out what kinda re-engineering might have to be done.

Barry
Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:23 AM
london
Joined Nov 2006
8 Posts
Thank's for that Barry. I am totaly new to 120 and i'm more than willing to learn and also, i do like taking chances, although i shouldn't.
Luis
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:35 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
thats all the fun! Exapanding our horizons and all that rot. haha

Barry
Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:45 PM
Boo
Joined Dec 2004
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonboy
At the moment, i'm stuck. I need some 010 thou lithoplate and i just don't have time to go and find some.
Cheers
Hi Londonboy, I'm just about to start building the Thorjet F-104 and I sourced some 10 thou lithoplate from Thorjet themselves at the same time as I bought the former kit. It's not on their website but they do sell it at £3 for a 2 feet by 18 inch sheet.

Hth,

Boo
Boo is offline Find More Posts by Boo
Old Feb 13, 2007, 06:48 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
Hey, that framework looks like what I can see in the fuse of one of the F-4's that I have. The formers, engine rails, splitter plate, and nose corners look very familiar.

I picked this Phantom up ready built. It's all wood except it has a foam core wing with a span of 36" (915mm). Mine has a K&B 7.5 with a ~4" (~102mm) custom made fan (BVM fan machined down, Kress shroud, Turbax centerpiece) for power.

It's been hanging from the ceiling for the past five years or so. The way things are going I'm thinking it's time to dust it off and repower it EDF. Does the plane in the pic look familiar?
http://cobrajet.rchomepage.com/f4glow/f4glow.html

Anyway, good to see someone scratch building. We don't get enough of this happening nowadays. Best of luck and hope it sees air soon!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Feb 13, 2007, 03:22 PM
Dave Appleton
Liverpool, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
466 Posts
Hi Luis
I was with Pete Thorpe at the weekend and we were looking at his airframes with a view to fitting my thorjet conversion- thread of the same name, and we agreed that the phantom/f-18 were good for conversion. I've got the plans for the hornet and will be doing that, also we're looking at reducing the F-20, F-18 and any of the other designs to suit a 90mm fan too. They're all really practical designs, that will probably lend themselves to conversion aswell as for those who 'prefer' a bit of a build! Keep pressing on with the phantom, as for electric version the packs will go along side the unit, tight but they go. For anyone else who hasnt seen their site, go to www.thorjet.co.uk

Dave
Fire42 is offline Find More Posts by Fire42
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:11 AM
london
Joined Nov 2006
8 Posts
First of all, Iím glad that my project interest people.
Boo,
I am looking into making the exhaust tube out of 0.5 mm lexan. Can not find the 010 thou lithoplate soÖ
Greg,
I was originally considering building the F4 powered by Thorjet 90 with OS 91 engine. Then I started looking into EDF but I am being put off by the prices (£900) for a decent setup. Now I might go back to OS 91. Still trying to decide.
Fire42
This is my first scratch build and I have to be honest, it is easier than I thought it will be. Time consuming, but well worth it. Iíve got to this point where I need to mount the rear ducting but donít have the litho. More pictures coming soon as I have built the tail section off the plane and as soon as the duct is in, I can attach it to it.
Keep watching, keep watching.
Cheers
Luis
Old Feb 14, 2007, 02:11 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
you can always lay down some wax paper and make your own sheeting. Just get some thin weight glass and resin is up flat, then roll it later. also plastic trash bags opened up or visquine drop cloths work.

Barry