Old Sep 23, 2002, 09:13 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Tried out the Raven today

Tried my Raven today. Left the stock motor in. Used Dymond
D35 and a 7 cell 1700 SCR batt pack. Launched it and it gained a
little altitude, turned it left and it gained more and then came down some pretty fast. I had major trouble turning right because I had the control throws set too low and dual rates set too high.
Anyways, it came down crooked and cartwheeled. Ripped the covering on the bottom, bent the spinner shaft and the damn vee tail came off. The vee tail is just held in by two pieces of wood that is angled. I decided to hold it in by sanding the covering off the wood and the edge of the vee tail fins and then epoxing them on. If the vee tail continues to be a problem, I'll just make a standard vert and horizontal stab out of 1/8 inch balsa and cover it. From what I have gathered, the stock motor is okay for power but not stellar. I'd use my jeti 30/3 brushless but, hobby shop gave me a graupner prop adapter that I had to drill out to
5 mm. And I don't have a 10x6 prop for it either. Guy at hobby shop told me to use a 12x7 but p-calc says this combo will pull
41 amps or so. Too much for the brushless controller.
Gonna try again tomorrow. BTW, not impressed on how you put on the vee tail to this model and the canopy is rather chinsy!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:20 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
Dunno which brushless controller you are using, but if it is a Jeti 40 amp, it should be fine at 41 amps.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Sep 24, 2002, 04:53 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
David, it is the 40 amp model. The instructions say its rated at
40 amps. I didn't want to chance it because I didn't want to shell
out another 99 bux for a new one. What is the max amps you can throw at it before it fries?

Dave...
Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:06 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
Dunno what the max amps are. I usually like to stay in the rated specs myself, but most everyone says the Jeti stuff is rated conservatively and if you are only 1 amp over spec and that's before the prop unloads I think you'll be ok.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Sep 27, 2002, 06:18 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,684 Posts
Dave,

Tic runs his jeti 40 amp esc at 70amps!!!!! I have seen it, but it is for a limited motor run of about 30 -45 seconds. I don't think 41 amps will be a problem.... But ask tic for specifics...

jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Sep 29, 2002, 09:14 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
B40-8S on eight CP-1700's.. controller is hacker master 40-3P .... 40 amp controller.. motocalc says 63.6 amps on the 13x8 prop... never had a thermal shutdown, even with very long climbs..
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Oct 03, 2002, 05:48 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Update on Raven. 1st, I have to get servos that will fit in the wing cutouts. HS-300's are too big. 2nd, upon last crash, I've decided that the vee tail is too understrengthed on how it is attached. 3rd, the included motor aint powerful enough and I will throw in my jeti 30/3 or geared motor. Last crash bent up the nose a little, tore the covering on the wing. I am gonna put on a new tail group out of 1/8 inch balsa. Regular vert and horizontal stabs.

Dave...