HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bajora, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 08:13 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,697 Posts
Cool
An afternoon in the Shop

Well, I just spent the afternoon plinking around in the shop and I must say it was quite a productive afternoon. I'm loving my new shop, as since I have my PC out there, it is quite easy to fire up Castle Link when I need to reprogram an ESC ... or to graph my motor runs with my Emeter and the PC Software it came with.

Today I installed a Little Screamer Super Park Jet on my 6mmflyrc F4 Phantom II. There are only about three of these prototype motors currently in existence and Scott and Bob of LS were kind enough to hook me up with one. (Tnx again for winding/polishing it up Bob - she's a beauty for sure!) The numbers on this motor are so impressive: 15-16 amps on a APC E 7x5 thin electric prop, fueled by a TP PL 2100 3S. The weather is looking PERFECT for tomorrow, so tomorrow morning, AC and I will head out for some flying...can you say 6mmflyrc Phantom Redux!?

But I stayed up late last night too working out there(11:25 PM ... for me , VERY late!) finishing another "little" project that I've wanted to do for some time now. AUW is 5.5 ounces and the power is about 35-40 watts. It is the Electrifly Mini-Delta. The one thing that sux about it is I paid like $37.00 and then about a week or two later, Tower dropped it to $25.00 and it is staying at that price. So, if my lil experiment works out and you want to try it, it'll be cheaper for you! The box lists the AUW at 6.7 ounces if you use the supplied 370 can brushed motor and power it with the recommended NICAD or NiMH pack. I went with a Feigao 4100 12mm brushless I had lying around, powered by a Etec 450 3S lipo.

(SIDEBAR: When I went in search of a battery that would fit in this very slender fuselage, I decided on the Etec 450 due to it's fairly unique form factor. I put a wanted ad here on RCG and a User named "Gliders" PM'd me saying he had one, along with a couple of 300's he wasn't using. When I asked him how much, he said to Paypal him a few bucks and he'd send 'em my way for nothing! Amazing! He captures the essence of a true RCgrouper to me! Thanks again Randy!)

When attempting to put it all together however, I ran into serious problems getting the CG where it is recommended. I ended up having to tunnel out the fuselage...quite a bit! If you look at the photos, the space for the radio and battery used to end right at the disc magnet in the front. I dremeled down underneath it at an angle and went ahead and punched out thru the bottom of the fuselage, figuring that that it wouldn't hurt because there was no provision to get any air into the interior to cool the ESC or battery as it came out of the box. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out and I only had to add a 1/4 ounce to get the CG right. Actually, the CG is pretty close without the added ballast, so if she handles ok I'll try dropping the 1/4 ounce off and see how it flies. I have a GWS 3x2 prop on the lil Feigao. I am using am inexpensive Vampower receiver, one of the Micro Antenna's that "The Don" sells here on RCGroups for $5.00 apiece and a PHX 10 ESC.

So, tomorrow, we have TWO maidens to look forward to.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2007, 05:46 PM
Strongsville, OH
Joined May 2007
2,415 Posts
how does the mini delta fly? i'm getting one too
ihor14448 is offline Find More Posts by ihor14448
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:29 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,697 Posts
I bequeathed it to my flying buddy, who regularly flies it. In fact, last Saturday, I stood and watched him fly it and thought: I should put one of those together...they are so cool! Oh wait...I DID have one!

Hopped up on a 12mm DD with a 3S 450 lipo, they are a blast!!!!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member