HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SZD16, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 04:14 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,816 Posts
Data
Tow Plane Locator. Look here to find a tug near you! If you have a tug please post it

A couple of threads that have come up recently have questioned the whereabouts of flying fields and tow planes…..what I would like to accomplish with this thread is to gather information about any tug that is currently airworthy….ie: Who owns it, contact information, location, what plane, what size engine, size of sailplanes you can tow, and last a picture of the tug would be great!
If you know of someone with a tug that is not a member here can you please get their information and post it here for them or send them a link to this thread so they can join and post for themselves.
Now….there needs to be limits set as to how small of an aircraft can be listed here….. for nitro engines 1.20 ci. For gas 23 cc. Now some of you reading this may be saying to yourself right know…but…I have a so and so with a .40 that we tow with all the time……and yes I’m sure you do….but for the purpose of this list I want tugs that can tow at a minimum a 3 – 4 meter sailplane. I have talked with tow pilots and sailplane pilots alike and all have agreed that these are good limits to start with. If this list proves to work the way I think it will then I will set up a similar one for all tugs under the 1.20 and 23 cc limit.
If you want info on a listed tug…PLEASE….PM the owner of the tug. If you click on the members name it will take you to his/her blog page that has a link so you can send a PM (Personal Message).
I hope that by compiling this list it will make it easier for people interested in getting into scale sailplanes to locate a tug near them. By knowing that a tug is near you hopefully you will be more inclined to go out and acquire a scale sailplane and get in on one of the more fascinating aspects of this great hobby! This list is open to tugs world wide……I want to know where to plan my next vacation!
I’ll start things off with my current tug.
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Last edited by SZD16; Jan 21, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2007, 04:16 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,816 Posts
Tom Pack

Richmond, Virginia USA

Sr. Telemaster with DLE-55

Can tow up to 4 meter 25 lb. Sailplanes.
Last edited by SZD16; Apr 27, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 05:40 PM
USA, NY, Chestnut Ridge
Joined Jun 2000
1,694 Posts
Ben Diss

I fly with SCTS out of Pine Island, NY. You can usually find me hanging around this forum or you can ping me at ben@benodee.com.

Two tugs:

- 1/4 scale L-19 Birddog with ZDZ-80. It'll tow whatever you bring to the field.

- 1/4 scale PA-28 Super Cub on 2kW electric. It's good for 10-12 lb gliders.
Ben Diss is offline Find More Posts by Ben Diss
Old Jan 21, 2007, 05:47 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,816 Posts
Ben's Birddog
Old Jan 21, 2007, 06:50 PM
United States, KS, De Soto
Joined Aug 2004
739 Posts
I fly with the Kansas Soaring Society club located in the Kansas City Region. We have 2 towplanes in the club that have engines in the 100+cc range. This is a pic of my Pegasus.
jfrickie is online now Find More Posts by jfrickie
Last edited by jfrickie; Apr 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 07:49 PM
Thiells,N.Y
Joined Jan 2002
427 Posts
Hi ,
I fly out of Pine Island and have tow tugs available. One is a modified Spacewalker with a G62 for pulling power , the other one is a Huge 120" wingspan model with a Brison 4.5 that will pull up 30lb plus models.
rbehrends is offline Find More Posts by rbehrends
Old Jan 21, 2007, 09:11 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
688 Posts
Tugs

Former Pensacola tow daddy now in residence in Huntsville, Alabama area

Modified Pegasus with Brison 6.4, tows anything
3.5 scale Bruckmann Pawnee with King 95, most anything
3.5 scale Wilga 2000 with Brison 6.4, light 2.5 scale

Looking for some action in North Alabama, Tennessee, surrounding area? Give me a call. 251-591-2675 or e-mail
Asher Carmichael
Asher Carmichael is online now Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Jan 21, 2007, 09:45 PM
Joined Apr 2005
216 Posts
Here are some other towplanes from the KCSE club.
The Cessna has a DA-150 on canisters.
The Turbo porter has a ZDZ160 champ on canisters.

Tim Gastinger
terminal eagle is offline Find More Posts by terminal eagle
Last edited by terminal eagle; Jul 01, 2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:25 PM
Joined Dec 2006
19 Posts
I never have pulled a plane before but I want to! I have a couple planes that could do the job. The Vmar Beaver is 120in wing with a tiger 4500 and the Budnosen has enough juice to hove with a glider hanging on the back. As far as a club,I just moved to the twin cities from out in the country but will be joining ACRC in anoka county this spring. (never needed a club on the farm)
ssllc902 is offline Find More Posts by ssllc902
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:32 PM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
We have three tow planes available at MRCSS in Minnesota. This is the 1/3 scale Laser I fly. It is powered by a 3W 106. I had concerns with this type of plane for towing, but it has a remarkable speed range and is a pussycat to fly. The other planes are a Space Walker and a Hots.

We also have a 1/3 scale Super Cub being put together this winter which will be powered by a 3W 200cc.

Ib
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:52 PM
USA, MN, Bloomington
Joined May 2002
47 Posts
Minnesota RC Soaring Society tow planes

A number of members in MRCSS are involved in aerotow. Here are two tugs:

Big Hots, Quadra 52cc, can tow most 4-meters, up to 15 lbs.
33% CAP 232, First Place Engines 5.8 (95cc), has towed 20 lb gliders with no problem.

Other members' planes include a Laser with a 3W-103 and a Spacewalker equipped with a G-62.

A 33% Super Cub is being built and we expect to have it flying in the spring of 2009. With a DA-150 we're guessing it could pull up a 50 lb. sailplane.

More info about MRCSS can be found at http://www.mrcss.org. We have aerotow fields north and south of the Minneapolis area.

Always happy to tow,
Larry
ljsoarinson@yahoo.com
ljsoarinson is offline Find More Posts by ljsoarinson
Last edited by ljsoarinson; Nov 27, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:56 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,869 Posts
Monroe WA, Big Birds Field

We fly aerotow every weekend at the CMAA (Cascade Miniature Aircraft Assn) club field (Big Birds field), out in Monroe WA.

Most of these pics were taken at the aerotow events throughout Washington state, but I included a pic of our field so you can see how nice it is. We have an annual aerotow event every July. This year it will be held on July 21-22, and the public is welcome to come out and watch. Lots of flying, a good barbecue, lots of lift guaranteed! Pilots need to pre-register with Bob Marchi, at rjm102@comcast.net. Bob can provide directions to the field.

http://www.sailplanes.com/News/Washi...e_DonBaily.htm

http://cascademiniatureaircraft.com/default.aspx

Don Bailey
dgliderguy@verizon.net
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Built Stinson 105
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:58 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
132 Posts
Thames Valley Scale Aerotow (UK)

We host regular scale aerotow meetings in the Thames Valley area throughout the season.

Details of our 2007 Event Schedule available now on our website at www.tvsa.scalesoaring.co.uk

We have a variety of tugs, from the 45cc powered 1:4 scale Piper Cub, up to a 150cc powered 1:3 scale Wilga and a range of gliders from sub 1:4 scale up to half size!

Note also the special joint event with the Vintage Glider Club at Southdowns Gliding Club which holds great promise for all vintage scale enthusiasts.

Regards
Allan
TVSA
allanart is offline Find More Posts by allanart
Last edited by allanart; Jan 24, 2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:34 AM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Jan 2007
174 Posts
Data-Tow Plane Locator

Mark Foster

Email for Details

I keep on hand a 1/3rd size Fly Baby w/ G-62. Rarely use the model since we have tow planes with DA-100s and 150s (Wilgas and Pegaseus) Muffled models certainly compliment the sailplane experience the best.
Bonsell located next to Fallbrook California is of late our most used towing spot. We have two other places as well that we use...........
Now, if towing is not happening (tow plane/down or the wind is problematic) we've always got Torrey Pines to fly at which (along with towing) keeps us in the air most of the year.
PT Glider is offline Find More Posts by PT Glider
Old Jan 26, 2007, 03:06 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
358 Posts
Hi guys

I have a Wilga with a Kroma 50cc and a modified UltraStick with a Kroma 50cc engine on it, both planes wil pull gliders up to 35 lbs.

From 25 to 35 lbs the tow becomes very scale and takes a while to get to 1500 feet. But wiht a good pilot it is a blast.

We are lokated in Winter Haven - Florida 33881

See our website http://www.angelfire.com/planet/lucerne/

Saludos,

Landi
Landi is offline Find More Posts by Landi