HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2007, 07:18 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Your are doing a great Job

I know you are building your version - but since you are doing a really good job (I can tell just with what you put into for props and shafts) I will like to make some suggestions (corrections to the short comings of the lindberg kit.)

First, If you could get a 1/32 drawing of a 103 series elco you will start to see some of the issues that I will mention. There must be a plans service on you side of the world particulay in in england, france or italy. Spend 25 euro's and know what to change, what needs to be added and what the addition's size is.

The lindberg kit has potential, with some sheet and strip styrene, allot can be done to enhance the hull and supperstructure apperance.

issue -it has a 77ft elco bow. I used some strip styrene to strighten the bow profile, then added .005" sheet styrene to the sides. wet sanded added squadron green putty , primed, filled wet sanded, primed - It has been on the boat and has not moved since 1996. It looks like an 80' elco.

issue- those round ports in the stern deck - I made round circles of the same thichkness styrene plastic. glues, filled, sanded, primed, one set again and done, also sanded the whole deck.so the finish would match.

issue- If you make an early war PT the engine room vents and dog house is wrong it works for a mid-war elco. This can be modified with styrene

issue - with the drawings you will find the deck fitting lay out is wrong. That additional mounts for the torpedo tubes are needed. (all this is easy with sheet styrene and really changes the apperance of the model).

issue- superstructure shields are the wrong shape again with the drawings you can photo copy onto heavy paper that prortion of the drawing and make templetes these are simple cuts almost scribe bend and break with a clean up with a file. You see that you need a shield by the helmsman, a door to the chart room,ect. all flat and easy to make with sheet styerne. Dogs for the hatches and doors can be made with brass. Little things like the antenna braces on the cabin roof and hand rails on the turrets really add to the apperance.

When you lay the parts aganist the drawing you will see what I mentioned. and you will be supprised what some styrene and .025' or .030 Brass Rod (gun depression rails for the turrets and 20mm, handles, cranks for the torpedo tubes) can do for apperance.

I figured I should mention this before you apply the zebera paint job. I have seen pictures of the real thing in zebra it should look really interesting. I notice Malta - I beleive there were several MTB RON's that were in that area during WWII, I also beleive they were mostly eqquipped with Higgins 78' boats.

To be honest, I had a second and third set of drawings made up at a local shop so that I could cut them up to make the templetes - You can find allot at http://www.pt-boat.com most of the stuff is in 1/24 and you would have to reduce to 1/32. The only thing I haven't been able to come up with is how to make the boat 1 inches longer. The problem it is right in the rudder section - by the time you do that it is cheaper to buy a fiberglass hull.

Going to go - I like what you are doing the drive train looks great. Good luck with the build.

Rich
Hope this helps
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Last edited by rlboats2003; Mar 07, 2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: clean some issues
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:13 PM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
Hello I'm back

Hello Everyone

Its been quite a while since I last did an update. Fortunately today I fond some time to continue.

As usual my pictures speak for them selves. For more info please read the short description under each picture.

Once again I take this opportunity to thank all those who left comments and those who just took a look at what Im doing.

Should anyone need to know more, feel free to send me a message

Stephen
shipcollector5 is offline Find More Posts by shipcollector5
Last edited by shipcollector5; Mar 19, 2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 01:33 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Beautiful work, Steohen!

All of my parts are here on hand so I need to get started!
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Mar 17, 2007, 01:50 PM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd
All of my parts are here on hand so I need to get started!
Frank
Glad to hear that.

Stephen
Old Mar 18, 2007, 08:57 AM
Joined Jan 2005
23 Posts
PT-109 Weight

Hello Everyone,

Just grabbed a 1/32 scale Lindberg PT-109 off ebay. I have a wealth of old batteries (NiNH), and aircraft motors. Just curious- what is the average weight of model fully loaded? Is the stock setup driven by 6 D-cell batts? If so, it sounds like the model can handle substantial weight. I was planning on using 2 400-speed motors, and a 7-cell 1800 Mah batt that probably weight about 1/2 of 6 D-cells.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
chuckrip1 is offline Find More Posts by chuckrip1
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:46 AM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckrip1
Hello Everyone,

Just grabbed a 1/32 scale Lindberg PT-109 off ebay. I have a wealth of old batteries (NiNH), and aircraft motors. Just curious- what is the average weight of model fully loaded? Is the stock setup driven by 6 D-cell batts? If so, it sounds like the model can handle substantial weight. I was planning on using 2 400-speed motors, and a 7-cell 1800 Mah batt that probably weight about 1/2 of 6 D-cells.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Hello chuckrip1

CG Bob has just given us some wealthy information about the weight of our PT construction.

I will check on the weight of my PT and hope I am within limits. By the way I will use AA size NIMH 2700Mha batteries, 10 in total to achieve 12v these are lightest batteries I found.

Thanks
Stephen
Old Mar 19, 2007, 01:23 AM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
weight test

Hi Everyone

Just done a weight test, and it seems it will be overweight when its all ready .According to CG Bob my pt should weigh 1.5kg (total weight overall)

The picture speaks for its self.
Batteries and electronic gear not included during weight test.

Stephen
Last edited by shipcollector5; Mar 19, 2007 at 06:44 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 06:19 AM
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Remember Bobs is scratchbuilt

Bob's is not a lindberg kit, his has a scratch built hull. If I get a chance I will weight my boat tonight with the batteries (8.4 or 9.6 packs) and without them. Internally and externally the only thing I added was a 20mm on the fore deck and the resolution of the issues I discussed in a prior post. My power train is Mack 3150 with Robbe 35mm counter rotating props. Based on pictures of the pre war plywood derbies were they held up the speed for the camera, on 8.4 the PT is at about 35 knots, and at 9.6 it makes 40 knots. I limiting myself to 9.6v 1900 nicad packs. That is as fast as they went and most of the time in the early part of the war when there were part shortages not all the needed maintatinace could be performed. A couple of semi-fouled plugs may not let an ELCO 80 reach its max 40 knots.
I also mounted a tray between the propshafts so that I could move the Batteries forward or backward about a inch so that the water line can be can be adjusted. I found a little lower under a 1/4 of an inch in the back helps to get the nose up out of the water. The final thing I am think of adding to this boat is mixing circuit for the props and rudders. With that circuit I should be able to reduce the size of the rudders to a more scale size, because I will be able to use the motor speeds to help turn the boat. Like I said the boat was built in 1994, short of scratch building a boat the Lindberg PT was as good as it got for a kit. The stuff that is becoming available know is really interesting, but that will be about it for this model.

By the way I like your internal layout better than mine, You are doing a great job.

Happy modeling, Rich
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:33 PM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
More work done today (public holiday)

Hello Everyone

Today is a public holiday here in Malta. So I am going to dedicate some time on my build I am doing as much assembly as I can before I start painting.

Many pcs will be glued to their places once my paint job is over. In this way I hope to achieve an impeccable clean paint finish.

Stephen
Old Mar 22, 2007, 07:15 AM
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
My boats weight

With out the main batteries the full up Pt boat with motors and other related electronics is 4.5 lbs. and it runs a scale 40 knots with some roostertail.

Your still looking good. Have fun,
Rich
Old Mar 22, 2007, 08:54 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,580 Posts
Shipcollector: Your PT is just nuts! Your life raft, is over the top!! I love it!!!

My 40" long, 1/24 scale PT has weighed as much as 11.5 pounds. That was too heavy, but it still looked scale. Looked like a fully loaded, fully armed, fully fueled PT.

It is now a trimmed down 9 pounds and planes easily.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:49 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Stephen totally agree with Tom on that one, nice detail on the liferaft! Weight is going to be OK if you keep it around 2kg and keep your paint job light. Like I said mine is overweight by 0,5kg but gets up to planing when at full throttle and the AAs are going to lighten that up - Job well done! Eugne
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Apr 05, 2007, 09:47 AM
Joined Apr 2007
4 Posts
I have two of the Lindberg Pt 109's both running the Lindberg Power Drive Conversion Kit. Weight is not an issue. The power drive kit uses a mechanical speed control, two motors run off of two battery packs. I have 4 of these drive units on the shelf and would be willing to let one or two go if anyone is interested. I am currently building the new Italeri 28 " plastic PT kit. RC conversion will be more difficult and weight will be an issue. Can anyone recommend a drive unit that turns two props off of one motor? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
BJL
bjldiver is offline Find More Posts by bjldiver
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:35 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,373 Posts
I recently was at the Pearson Air Museum in Vancouver Washington, and at the end of the property they have an old PT boat hull. It is huge....

This is the other PT boat here in Portland, Oregon. A Higgins I believe.
A friend of mine volunteers on board, and sent this link to these images.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...65643705xgXhIl

Also see, http://www.warboats.org/pt_658.htm
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:37 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
thats BIG, nice as well
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501