HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by _Lunchbox_, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 01:03 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Build Log
The world models Voodoo Mustang

I've volunteered to build a World Models Voodoo Mustang for a friend, and thought I'd make an attempt at a build log, so here goes:

To start off, the parts were packed very well and were labeled in individual bags. I looked over the manual a couple of times before starting, and I can say that I didn't like the lack of written instructions. There are some pretty clear pictures, but I had a hard time understanding what the task at hand was in certain steps. In fact, the lack of instructions has already caused me to screw up once on this build
I started off by laying out the parts on a table and looking over for problems. All is good there. The first step is to glue the aileron hinges in and the ailerons on to the wing. So far so good... The next step is to install the control hornsin the ailerons. They pre-drilled holes for the horns, but the holes don't go all the way through the aileron, so, out comes the 'ol trusty Craftsman drill. After that was accomplished, the control horns went together with no problem. Step 3 was to install the aileron servos and linkages, but I don't have the servos yet (They are still at my friend's house), so I skipped that step for now. I will say that the manufacturer provided a string already in the wing to pull the wires through, but one side on this particular wing had come loose and was nowhere to be found. I just tied a couple of spacers to a string and dropped it throught the wing, then fished it out the hole. No problem there.
Here is where I ran into a problem. Step 4 instructed you to install the horizontal and to glue the hinges into the elevator. I couldn't identify where the horizontal went, so I assumed it went on the bottom of the fuselage. I removed a little covering and marked and started gluing it there. Once it was in place, it just didn't look right so I removed it before the glue dried... I guess I should have taken more time and looked closer before I did anything permanent. I'll take the blame on that one, but written instructions would have helped.
I figured out what else to do, and installed the vertical and the rudder & elevator. That is as far as I got last night, so I'll do some more this afternoon and report back..
Here are the first photos of starting the build.
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2007, 04:23 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Well, just finished the construction. All that is left is to install the servos and hook up the linkages.
I must say that the plane went together rather easily in spite of the lack of detailed instructions. The plane is a good looking plane, but I do not like the chintzy landing gear. It looks like they were stuck there as an afterthought. If it was mine, I'd have to find a way to modify the LG or maybe even put retracts on it.
The only other drawback is that the battery is accessed through the wing, so It is a little more difficult to access than one with a hatch.

All in all this is a good looking planewith a few drawbacks in the manual and the LG. I'll check back again with a flight report when I get the radio equip and we do the maiden.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 05:59 PM
....PieMaster....
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
Jeff

The plane looks good. I will give you the electronics on Tues. Tell the little one I said hello back.

Kenny
kave_man is offline Find More Posts by kave_man
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:47 AM
Strathmore, Alberta Canada
Joined Jan 2004
848 Posts
I had one of these. First flight Awsome ... second flight met a tree... Fixed and third flight Death spiral down and fry'd my ESC ... It is still fixable but now have a Rambler EP from same company to put the gear into. Right after I try my faomy Pitts I made from plans found on here
nickrage is offline Find More Posts by nickrage
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:40 AM
Strathmore, Alberta Canada
Joined Jan 2004
848 Posts
Just to let you know about the battery problem. What I did with mine was cut out a circle bottom side right in front of the main wing on the fuse. When I put my battery in I could connect and dissconect at that point and not have to take the wing off every time.
nickrage is offline Find More Posts by nickrage
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:15 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Thanks for the info on the battery, I'll run that mod by my friend and see what he wants to do...

How was the performance with the supplied prop?
Old Jul 02, 2007, 10:22 AM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
I just ordered a voodoo, do you guys fell the motor that comes with it is adequet? or should i plan on upgrading?
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
Old Jul 02, 2007, 08:07 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
The plane still has 0 flights on it.

My friend robbed some electronics from it, and has never replaced them...

I do know that when I spooled the motor up it had a good bit of "Pull" when holding it. As far as how it flies with the stock motor, I couldn't tell you...
Old Jan 03, 2008, 08:04 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
So anyone got an update on how this plane goes?
panzerd18 is offline Find More Posts by panzerd18
Old Jan 03, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Well, that particular plane met its demise on the maiden, so I really don't know how well it flies.
It seems my buddy set up the radio and forgot to check the elevator for correct direction, and it was reversed... big crash!

You could try mustangace17. I believe he has or had one of these, and could give you a little bit more info on it...
Old May 22, 2009, 06:49 AM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Apr 2009
11 Posts
Had one myself, absolutely fantastic machine. Forget the u/c, hand launch and belly land. included motor is awesome with a 3s 1800. don't upgrade without reinforcing motor mount, but not really needed. included folding prop is "ok", but better to replace. don't bother with rudder either, not needed. Only downside is having to remove wing to change batt.
The Brads is offline Find More Posts by The Brads
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:21 AM
Joined Mar 2007
5 Posts
Hello Guys,

I can give you a report on this plane because I did the maiden flight on mine yesterday. There was a breeze of about 5 to 10 mph. I was flying at a local park here in Miami (Tamiami Park) There is no runway so the take off was a bit of a challenge I found a bit of dirt that had no grass or big rocks and I used it as a runway. I waited for the wind to come down because it was a cross wind to the runway and as soon as there was no wind I went up. The plane took off in about 10 to 15 feet. Once in the air it needed some trimming but nothing mayor. This is my second P-51 and I am familiar with how the plane behaves in the air. I like it with a bit of down elevator so it is easier to land. My first P-51 was a .60 size gas plane and I can tell you that this little plane behaves almost the same as the big one. The only thing that I see with this plane is that the rolls are a bit slow to both sides. I haven't played with the EPA or any other settings to give it more rolls input. In my case I can use a bit less elevator. I did the settings out of the box and it had too much elevator but I left it like that. Landing is easy but you CANNOT let it glide down like you do a trainer for example. It needs to have a bit of power until the very end. The landing gear is ok I guess. I did like 6 landings and the landing gear was fine. I was thinking that the folding prop was not gonna cut it but the plane had enough power to climb out of my hand. One thing that I learned about P-51 is that the CG is always at the main rib. I balanced mine that way and is dead on. I am able to fly it upside down with out touching the elevator. I am using a 11.1v 2100 15C battery and it is places exactly where the instructions tell you. I think this plane is awesome and I would recomend it. You need a bit of experience to land it but it is a great plane
ccameselle is offline Find More Posts by ccameselle
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Sounds like you enjoy it! keep us posted on how it goes with successive flights!