SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2007, 06:29 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Discussion
Concern over TX Crystal

I have just upgraded from a Futabe Skysport 6 TX to a 6EXA-PCM TX. It came without crytal. I bought a pair o matching TX & RX crystal on Ch 69, but just read this on a post on this site:

"You should never change the TX crystal without getting the TX retuned... It may work... but it can cause the TX to be off far enough to cause problems."

As I have no idea of the orignal crystal channel I am cncerned I will have problems? Is changing crystals a potential problem?
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2007, 07:54 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Yes, assuming you're in the US on 72MHz. The transmitter should be tuned at an authorized service center to the appropriate frequency to match the new crystal.

If you're outside the US, I believe it's common practice to switch channels by changing Tx crystals. No need to fire up the debate again, that's just the way it is..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 21, 2007, 08:03 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,429 Posts
Since your location puts you in the UK I'd say you're fine. We swap Tx crystals all the time without "retuning". Anyway since UK Txs are normally centre-tuned and Ch 69 is almost in the middle of the 35MHz band (55-90) it's very unlikely that you'd have any tuning problems.

Assuming you bought the correct Futaba crystals you just need to do a full range check with a suitable Futaba Rx and provided it passes all is o.k.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 21, 2007, 08:43 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Yup. Its fine. Most futaba kit comes with channel 64 stuff and is broadly tined to that..but the requirements here are not so stringent as the USA diue to the fact we use 35Mhz and there isn't much else on the band to get mucked up.

If you want a load of Ch64 xtals, I have loads..Tx and RX.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1