HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2007, 01:45 AM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
Discussion
wiring a switch for a motor for a fire monitor

Hey all,
I wanted to use this switch to operate the motor for a fire monitor. I was hoping someone could tell me how to wire it. Where to attach the + - motor and battery leads. I'll be setting it up so that it has its own battery seperate from the boat's motor.
Thanks,
Rob
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2007, 02:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster94gt
Hey all,
I wanted to use this switch to operate the motor for a fire monitor. I was hoping someone could tell me how to wire it. Where to attach the + - motor and battery leads. I'll be setting it up so that it has its own battery seperate from the boat's motor.
Thanks,
Rob
Micro Switches are different. Do you have a Normally Open or Normally Closed Circuit Switch.

Best way is attach the Positive as it is in the Photo and leave the swith unactivated (common). Negative direct from Motor to Battery terminal... Not to switch otherwise you will short circuit.

Attach Switch lead to to battery contact. Use Multi Meter to test Circuit by using the positive contact on each pin of the switch and close circuit using the activator. (Negative probe direct to -ve on battery) If it reads the battery then you have your contact point for the Positive lead from the Motor.

Test the other if not. Until you get a reading.
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 21, 2007, 02:39 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,266 Posts
According to the diagram on the switch, you want to wire up the positive battery lead to the bottom contact, the common, and the motor lead to #3, the normally open contact. The negative contact on the battery directly to the other motor terminal.

As waboats suggest, you can use the multimeter to verify continuity, and that this is the proper wiring for the switch.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:00 AM
Joined Jan 2007
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster94gt
Hey all,
Thanks,
Rob
just exactly how does this micro switch which usually acts as a limit switch fit into the operation of the motor , it will depend on what operates it as how its wired . the common terminal/permanent supply will go to the bottom terminal, it will depend on whether the switch will be actuated on pressure to the arm at the top or release of pressure to the arm as to which terminal, normally open or normally closed is connected to the motor.

depending on the current draw of the motor , you may need to include a relay.

id take a punt that the micro switch rating is probably 10 amps

and as the others said, negative/neutral straight to the motor , and nowhere near this switch, or youll be switching directly across+ve and -ve on the battery.
bailador is offline Find More Posts by bailador
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:33 AM
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
This Is The Way I Switch

Switching servos and relays
Gualalasmooth is offline Find More Posts by Gualalasmooth
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:37 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,415 Posts
Looks like something Al Quaeda would be interested in...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:41 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,253 Posts
roflmao....
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:01 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,918 Posts
The little diagram on the side of the switch shows the connection as it is supplied, with its button (under the arm) unpressed. If your servo arm presses the button, then follow Umi's advice. If you are working the motor using a disc cam with a notch filed into the edge, leave the connections as in the picture.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jul 18, 2010, 02:25 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
roflmao....
Dont laugh ...that the Federal goverments version ....
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 02:26 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2006
258 Posts
I use a foward-only esc on my fire monitor motors if you have a
proportional channel available.
They are very cheap on ebay.
Lots of plane guys have gone brushless.
Variable speed gives you ability to spray very close or very far.
No relays to worry about or mechanical switches to corrode.
Jim
jshander is online now Find More Posts by jshander
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:41 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,292 Posts
Quote:
Dont laugh ...that the Federal goverments version ....
And it only cost us taxpayers $584,684.39...
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME