HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MicroRotors, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 09:34 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,679 Posts
Discussion
DIY Home-Brew Charger

Well I have done a brief post on this some time ago Mar 05 and was asked for better and more pictures and just think, I am now getting around to it!

Back in the day when we had nothing but NiCad's and NiMH's were just emerging I had purchased a Hitec CG-335 Pro and used it everyday down on the avenue “C” in Redondo Beach, Ca. Many, many years ago. It was working faithfully until a few years back when a nut came loose and I shorted out a trace. I was devastated as this had become almost a family member to me. I had a friend whom is an electrical engineer track it down and fix the trace and a diode that had fried during the mishap. Well she was running perfect until I tried to make the charger. I cooked something I guess when I was hooking it all up. Here is a clip from my original post;
Quote:
Hello All,

I just thought I would show you all what I do when the wind is blowing too hard to fly and I have too much time on my hands.

I got tired of my torn up cardboard box of thing I take flying with me and decided to do something about it. It has a computer plug in the side so I can jack into the wall, or I can use jump cables and plug into a 12V source and have the power I need. It is again connected with computer plugs inside so the complete assembly can be removed from the case. It also has 8 battery storage compartments and 6 power cord compartments and a compartment for my multi meter under the storage lid.

I would like to say that during the initial set up I guess I did something wrong in the wiring to my almost 10 year old Hitec 335 charger and it needed to be sent in to get fixed. Well I new that the warranty was up um hmmmm, a long a** time ago so I was expecting to pay for the repair. Well to my surprise,,, they fixed it for free THIS TIME ONLY! My hats off to you Hitec!

Thank you soooo much, you’re the best as far as standing behind your product and it was not even your fault.

Anyhow the system works great and I can show up to fly with my dignity again.
Bill
MicroRotors is offline Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:56 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
I'm very impressed. The power station/charging unit looks amazing. Looks like you have every feature you could want.
Are the giant resistors part of a discharge circuit?
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:57 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,679 Posts
No they are added to help dissipate heat.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:43 PM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
That is inspiring. It makes me think I could build one out of an old PC chassis. The power supply would already have a spot and the chassis door could act as the access panel. Not as portable and well designed as what you have there, but I would only use it at home.

Scott
citabria is offline Find More Posts by citabria
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:23 AM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
Extremely nice. I probably don't need to say this, but DO NOT attempt to take that as carry-on luggage on an airplane. Unless you enjoy cavity searches
Neil Walker is offline Find More Posts by Neil Walker
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:30 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Walker
Extremely nice. I probably don't need to say this, but DO NOT attempt to take that as carry-on luggage on an airplane. Unless you enjoy cavity searches
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2007, 03:33 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
*Breaks out notebook*

What kind of case did you use, and can you supply a wiring diagram?

*licks tip of pencil and sits poised expectantly*
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Jan 26, 2007, 03:46 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68
*Breaks out notebook*

What kind of case did you use, and can you supply a wiring diagram?

*licks tip of pencil and sits poised expectantly*
Jezzzz

I will tell you what. I will post a (as best as I can remember) build-up on this. It is a lot easier than you would think. It's my all in wonder box. I am now trying to add a laptop into the lid that plugs into my multimeter so I can watch whats going on and record charges.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2009, 03:44 AM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
Kinda reminds me of this...
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
Old Apr 03, 2009, 03:57 AM