HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:12 PM
Back in the game
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2006
1,370 Posts
Discussion
Any experiences with Rimfire motors?

They look to have good prices and i've always found good customer service from great planes.

can anyone share their experiences with this new line of motors?

my initial thoughts is that a) they don't post enough info about the motors (recommended prop size range is huge!) b) they seem to be overly aggressive in terms of amps/watts motor can handle.

Any thoughts (brief or long) are appreciated!

btw, really dissappointed in great planes marketing arm, they usually are vey aggressive with their products (duratrax, etc), not the case for for this product launch...
flying evader is offline Find More Posts by flying evader
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2007, 04:00 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,645 Posts
I purchased a few back in December and so far have run only one, a 35/30 1250. I had it mounted in a GP 25 size T-Craft and the first flight showed plenty of power but I had to cut the flight short due to too much up thrust asper plans. The following weekend I took it up after setting some down thrust and it worked fine for about two minutes. I experienced my first ever dead stick landing with an electric. When I got it on the ground I tried to throttle up and the prop just stuttered and did not spin. At first I thought it was the speed control but after further inspection I noticed it was a burned stator in the motor. I shipped it off to hobby services and six days later the replacement arrived. I havent flown the replacement yet but have it mounted and ready to go when the weather improves. I have added a pic of the burned motor. Hopefully the new one and the other two I have will work ok,

cooper998

prop: 10x7e apc
Spd Control: Electrifly 45amp silver series
Battery: Maxamps 3s 2100
Max amp draw at full throttle: 28.5a
All up weight: 3.5lbs
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Last edited by cooper998; Jan 19, 2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added motor info
Old Jan 19, 2007, 05:04 PM
Back in the game
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2006
1,370 Posts
wow. thats not necesarily a good experience i think.
flying evader is offline Find More Posts by flying evader
Old Jan 19, 2007, 06:16 PM
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,645 Posts
Flying evader,
Maybe not a good experience but definitly not bad.

You have to take into account that I did land the plane safely and was able to have the motor replaced under warranty in less than a weeks time.

I definitly think Great planes was on the right track bringing these motors in but they may have over rated them slightly.

I just finished "bench" testing the replacement and a short burst to full throttle with a 10x7e apc had the motor pretty warm. I let it cool then popped a 10x5e prop on and the wattage dropped to 260 vs 290 with the larger prop and the amps dropped to 25. I am going to try a few test flights this weekend with both the 10x5e and a 9x7.5e props and see how she flies.

cooper998
Old Jan 19, 2007, 07:02 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper998
Flying evader,
Maybe not a good experience but definitly not bad.

You have to take into account that I did land the plane safely and was able to have the motor replaced under warranty in less than a weeks time.

I definitly think Great planes was on the right track bringing these motors in but they may have over rated them slightly.

I just finished "bench" testing the replacement and a short burst to full throttle with a 10x7e apc had the motor pretty warm. I let it cool then popped a 10x5e prop on and the wattage dropped to 260 vs 290 with the larger prop and the amps dropped to 25. I am going to try a few test flights this weekend with both the 10x5e and a 9x7.5e props and see how she flies.

cooper998
Not the first time a motor has been advertised with an over-optimistic max amp rating!

Now this is completely off-topic, but in honor of your "cooper998" handle - here is your namesake (or at least, your Italian cousin): my son, Geoff, thinks he looks as cool as the car!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Jan 19, 2007, 08:02 PM
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,645 Posts
Dr Kiwi,
I thought the motor was overated before I flew but wanted to see if it stood up to its claims, apparently not which is why I am propping down and with the power available my flying will probably be at half throttle most of the time anyway.

Here's my seudo cooper, currently undergoing a rebuild (no rush) should be a little hot rod when done.

cooper998
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:44 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,353 Posts
I have the original 22-1000 and I push it pretty hard and have crashed it hard many times with no troubles.

I also have a ammo inrunner that I regularly run in the burst and it has held up great so far. I'm pleased.
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:12 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
I just recently got the rimfire 35-30 1450kv motor. It's doing OK so far but it is rated at 35A constant, 40A burst.

I'm running it at 30amps and it gets VERY HOT after a just over a minute. I don't see how it could handle 35amps. I'm in the process of routing some cooling vents to the motor to try to keep it's temp down, and then It's on to more testing before I trust it in the air.

I think with proper cooling it could handle 30amps OK, but 35, or even 40....I don't think so....not without releaseing some smoke.
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013