HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2007, 09:18 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Discussion
Golds/Appleton Westland Wyvern S Mk IV

I delivered 3 Haggis to Chris this lunch time and took my camera with me.

Sitting on his bench was a rather splendid Westland Wyvern which Chris has built to take Dave Appleton's Contra Rotating prop unit. Dave is having an article in Q&EFI on how to build the unit and Chris is doing the plan and Building instructions for this super little model.

The model is based on one flown by Lt Michael Doust (RN) in summer 1957, from the HMS Ark Royal. VZ789 of 831 NAS

The maiden won't be for a few weeks yet but I am posting these photos so Dave (Fire42, as he is known hereabouts) can see what Chris has done with his sweet little unit.

Span 39", length 36", dressed Spring air 602 retracts. Working Fowler flaps. Estimated AUW 52oz

I am sure Dave will supply details of the Unit and maybe some pics.

Only 3 short of a Shack!
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:13 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,882 Posts
WOW! Fantastic job
D-Rock is online now Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:43 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
awesome, Chris is the man. As usual you got some great pics too Ron. Dave did a bang up job on the contra unit too, its a ingeneous piece of hardware.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:41 PM
Dave Appleton
Liverpool, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
466 Posts
Hey Rob....thanks for posting the pics, great! Will have to trawl the PC for pics of the unit, not sure if they're lost on an old, knackered PC, but if they're there i'll post em. May have to do build thread, but in power systems. Lookin forward to seeing it in operation !

regards

Dave
Fire42 is offline Find More Posts by Fire42
Old Jan 19, 2007, 02:18 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
D Rock, Thanks I'll pass it on

Barry, This is only in primer at the moment, time to slap some "make up" on it now, I can't wait to see this one finished and filthy.

Dave, Mike Nott and Chris are expecting an article for Q&EFI, maybe you need to build another 3 so you can take some more photos. Will you be able to get down for the maiden?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 05:02 PM
Dave Appleton
Joined May 2004
466 Posts
Hi Rob

Was thinking that actually....long haul but I'd love to be there. I'll get in touch with chris, or you can email me with a prospective date and see if it fits in with the work rota. As for making a unit, I could do with help there. I'll PM you with my thoughts on that. Could do with tying in with the plan/article for best effect....I agree

regards

Dave
Old Jan 19, 2007, 05:11 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,294 Posts
Wow...great aircraft to choose. Certainly something different. Can't wait to see the finished product (all painted up).
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:23 AM
Dave Appleton
Joined May 2004
466 Posts
Hi rob

I've heard!!! Got my work planned for the week then eh!?

post the pics you have....like to see em, but not the traumatic ones!

cheers

Dave
Old Jan 27, 2007, 02:01 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Rearward CG again! Lifted off way too early although there was oodles of spare power it wasn't enough to prevent a nasty tip stall.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:34 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,294 Posts
Arrrgggg. Please say that the damage wasn't too bad. That plane looked just fantastic all finished up.
Good luck with the repairs. I really hope they aren't too bad.
Cheers Mike
Old Feb 03, 2007, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Guess what!

With CG moved forward with the help of 2 oz of church roof we fired up for another go. Chris let the speed build up slowly to ensure a good flow over the elevator and a good flying speed.

It looks like another tip stall probably due to the 32oz/sqft wing loading.
Old Feb 03, 2007, 06:06 PM
Dave Appleton
Joined May 2004
466 Posts
oh bugger!....well i'm all out of blades now! Sorry about all this, maybe a shackleton is the one after all!!!! Thanks for the pics Rob

Dave
Old Feb 03, 2007, 07:22 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,294 Posts
I just can't look anymore
I feel sick seeing all that damage to such a great looking plane.
Hope you get her flying right soon.
Cheers Mike
PS...How do you get such great looking panel lines on your model?
Old Feb 04, 2007, 03:32 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Chris has got a couple of very fine drafting pens 0.3mm (black and white) he simply draws them on using a flexible straight edge as a guide.

Although the watt meter was showing enough power to fly 53oz I don't know if we were getting the equivalent thrust as a 2 blade prop. Chris went off muttering about collecting stamps again yesterday. ( we also lost the Mig 17) I will catch up with him and see if he is going to rebuild.

There might be enough power if we lose the retracts and go for a hand launch, even then the wing loading is going to be at the upper end for a hand launch.
Old Feb 04, 2007, 08:12 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
314 Posts
Chris wrote a very comprehensive article in one of the english mags about his detailing methods, he is an artist, it shows, but it was clear in both his methods and his intent that with the right "eye" his results (with practice!) are within the scope of most of us. I'm digging through my mags to find the one and will post when I find it. I hope that Chris will take the Wyvern through to a succesfull conclusion as his work is inspirational.

hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1