HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:11 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,602 Posts
Build Log
F/A-22 Raptor Park Jet—Part 2

This thread is a continuation of the Part 1 thread found here. In Part 1 I posted beta plans for my F/A-22 Raptor park jet and promised to post updated plans once the bugs and errors had been worked out of the design. Now that the final plans are done, rather than bury them 800 posts deep in the original thread, I decided to simply start a new thread with the updated plans posted in the first post. This should make it much easier for folks to find them and not get them confused with the beta plans.

This model uses construction methods similar to my previous park jet designs and features a working thrust vectoring system. It was designed specifically for the Littlescreamers Park Jet Special motor, though there are other motors that would work OK as well. Flight characteristics are excellent, and the thrust vectoring provides an amazing amount of maneuverability! The specs for this model are:

Wing area: 248 sq in
Span: 26.0"
Length: 36.3"
Weight RTF: 16 to 18 oz
Wing loading: 10.5 oz/ft2
Motor: Littlescreamers Park Jet Special (LSPJ)
Battery: Thunder Power 1320 mAh 11.1V Prolite
Prop: APC 7x4 (for aerobatics) or 6x5.5 (for speed)
Speed control: Castle Creations Phoenix 25
Current: 15 amps
Watts: 150 watts
Power loading: 140 to 150 watts/lb
Flight controls: Stabilator, flaperons, rudder (optional), thrust vectoring (optional)

While designed as a pusher prop jet, this model should be very easy to convert to EDF due to the large flow-through inlets. In fact, twin Wemo Microfans should fit nicely in this 26” span version. But I’ll leave it to other enterprising individuals to figure out the changes necessary to convert it to EDF.

Plans are posted below in the usual formats for those that like to build from scratch. For those that prefer the convenience of a kit, the guys at 6mmflyrc are putting the finishing touches on a laser cut kit and expect it to be available in early February. Watch their website for updates. My prototype model was actually built from a 6mmflyrc beta kit, which left me very impressed with the ease and precision of laser cut kits! The kit version will include a formed clear canopy and pilot figure, though I’m sure they’ll make those parts available for scratch builders, too.

Same rule as always--post pictures if you build this jet!

Steve

6mmFlyRC F-22 Raptor (3 min 20 sec)
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Last edited by jetset44; Apr 12, 2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Added flight video
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:12 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,602 Posts
Construction Guide

Attached below is an illustrated construction guide for the F-22 Park Jet. This guide is based on the one I developed for the 6mmflyrc kit, but has been customized to show the slightly different build procedures of the scratch build version relative to the kit version. Enjoy!

Steve
Last edited by jetset44; Apr 02, 2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Attached file of latest guide
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:23 AM
Just one more flight...
Pasadena Cal-i-Forn-I-AY!
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
Hey alright! Keep it comin. Dave
RCSuperPowers is offline Find More Posts by RCSuperPowers
Old Jan 19, 2007, 02:00 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Beautiful build guide, Steve, great work. I noticed you used your chest, and not your belly, to roll the top piece

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Old Jan 19, 2007, 09:20 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Up-Dated Parkjets Web Page

Wonderfull Job Steve, Your web page is now Up-dated

http://www.parkjets.com/F-22-jetset44.html

Tom

Raptors Rule!!!!!!
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Last edited by RCParkflyer; Jan 19, 2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Up-Dated Parkjets Web Page
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:08 AM
Its up... Nope its not
Portland, OR
Joined Jun 2006
563 Posts
Looks great Steve, keep up the good work.
raven_darkcloud is offline Find More Posts by raven_darkcloud
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:29 PM
Hello again.
Corona, California
Joined Aug 2006
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCParkflyer
Raptors Rule!!!!!!

BOOYA!

Great planes and plans!
f-22 maniac is offline Find More Posts by f-22 maniac
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:46 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCParkflyer

Raptors Rule!!!!!!
Side by side with Flankers

Doc
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:47 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
And Super Flankers

Doc
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:52 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,175 Posts
Well it looks like I toasted my F-18 . Guess I'll have to buy the F-22 from 6mmflyrc.com . Yo Steve....you rock man. You have single handedly changed the foam rc world for the better. All the info you all post is is so helpful. Steve I have one of those rchotdeal.com outrunner/speed control combos. It worked great with my F-18 but I wanted your input on the impossible to get Little Screamer park jet outrunner.

DJ
Dangerous James is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous James
Old Jan 19, 2007, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
84 Posts
AWSOME!!! This has to be one of the best projects out there....straight to the top of my list steve. Thanks!!!!!
boa279 is offline Find More Posts by boa279
Old Jan 19, 2007, 04:52 PM
Lost at LAX
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Dec 2005
2,554 Posts
Hopefully 6mmflyrc will include a page that tells you _what_ part is _where_ in _their_ laser cut foam sheets - something 3dfoamy does not do!

Steve - rough order magnitude - difficulty of build compared to the F-14? (which I will maiden Sunday - finally got my 6x4 reverse rotation prop today)
Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Old Fart
Old Jan 19, 2007, 05:41 PM
mountain view, california
Joined Feb 2006
187 Posts
I gotta ask jetset44, which of you large parkjets (pusher) flies the "best"?

Which is the most enjoyable to fly is what I mean....
Zippiot is offline Find More Posts by Zippiot
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:56 PM
Build, Fly, Crash..Repeat
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
Very nice job on the build guide. This is a fun plane to build and I look forward to flying it soon.

Tony
Wingman65 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman65
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:41 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,602 Posts
Well, it certainly is nice to work for such an appreciative group! Glad you all like it.

docrob - Yeah, I probably should have said belly in the guide, since I guess I really do roll the dowel across my belly. Oh well...

RCParkflyer - THANKS for posting all the updated files on parkjets.com, and especially for mirroring the construction guide. I can't count the times when someone has seen me flying and asked "Where can I get plans for that?" and I say back "www.parkjets.com!" Your website is a tremendous resource for this hobby!

Dangerous James - If that rchotdeal motors worked great on the F-18 AND spins a 6" or 7" prop it'll work great. This Raptor is limited to a 7" prop max. Otherwise, you'll just have to wait until the LSPJs are back in stock...