HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:09 PM
fort pierce, fl
Joined Jan 2007
7 Posts
Help!
best and fastest

considering buying an elect boat. what is the best bang for the bucks ?
Would like to spend around 300.
thanks, also would prefer rtr
tgrant is offline Find More Posts by tgrant
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
Metairie, La
Joined Jan 2007
4 Posts
Gotta be the Aquacraft SV27. Capable of 40+ mph w/ very little mods and priced at $279.00. Batteries not included!
jallen355 is offline Find More Posts by jallen355
Old Jan 19, 2007, 05:35 AM
Lemon Tree Passage NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2001
378 Posts
Tend to differ

The SV27 is the best by a mile of a bad bunch. Nonetheless it is very limited and ties you into a setup which is not competitive unless its a spec class for SV27's

Try secondhand on RRR forums or something liek an RTR CLassic Hydros shovel with a NEo-X motor and 4S lipo 40 mph ....
Andrew Gilchrist is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Gilchrist
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:30 PM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
Are you new into boats? If so, an excellent choice would be a SV27. Easy to setup and maintain, and very cost efficient. Depending on setup and prop choice it can give you 30mph-43mph with all stock setup (12 cells). Excellent price. It got me into a new aspect of the hobby....easy to learn, but challenging. Lipos will yield +45mph. Throw in an 8XL motor and lipos and you'll be +50mph. It also comes with a warranty. Not that many problems with this boat, even though it's RTR.
If you buy second hand and you're new to boats, you don't know what you're getting. You also don't know damage that's been covered up. Also, I don't think there's a return policy on second hand. Just something to consider.
Blackjack52 is offline Find More Posts by Blackjack52
Old Jan 21, 2007, 07:21 AM
fort pierce, fl
Joined Jan 2007
7 Posts
thanks, for the info guys. couple more questions
when you say lipos . can I purchase them already built? and what should I ask for.
same question on the prop.
Thanks again
tgrant is offline Find More Posts by tgrant
Old Jan 21, 2007, 07:31 AM
Joined Jan 2001
3,269 Posts
SV27 is the way to go if your running local or in common sense clubs.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/MainPage.htm did have some in stock.

If your into professional racing with groups like NAMBA or the IMPBA, you will need to spend $1,000 + to compete.
sjslhill is offline Find More Posts by sjslhill
Last edited by sjslhill; Jan 21, 2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 01:12 PM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
tGrant, If you go SV27,
If new to rc period, I would recommend doing some homework on lipos first. That way you can make an informed decision about whether you want to use NiMh or lipos. I'm talking from the safety aspect. If you decide lipos, make sure you get a fire safe storage container (ammo can) and a lipo sack (fire proof sack), and don't store in you home.
The packs I've heard of people using are +4000mAh rating, Already built....just plug them in. I'm not sure about the 2S or 3S config. You'll have to look around about that. Hint hint: I recommend looking in more than one place for these answers. Keep in mind, for competition purposes, this hobby is going into the lipo realm this year.
Either way, get a charger that can charge Nixx, lipos and possibly l-ion. A dual charger with at least 10A output (and can charge at least 2 packs at a time and has a dc converter with it for field charging)........look at the MRC977 Superbrain (this has a tendency to false peak.......it cuts off the charge early and you have to monitor the cycle.......which is good anyway).

I've done alot of testing with props on the SV27 with 12cell NiMh and have found the carbon fiber (CF) K series Graupner 48mm (0 cav, unless you modify it you have to slow down for cornering) to be very aggressive, to say the least. This will literally launch you out of the water (croc roll) and yield 35-high36 mph on light chop and a good setup (140F batt temps and 125F motor). You will have to monitor batt temps (don't go over 145F) and make sure you have a good setup. For the metal props......I recommend M445 (.5' cav and +37mph, excellent control wide open (WOT) throttle and cornering). (129F batt temps and 110F motor). The x642 is pretty fast also with mid 36mph (0 cav and great control WOT and cornering). The X440/3 (1-2' cav) will give you +40mph (Jallen got +42mph) with great cornering and WOT also. If you have alot of turns in your racing or sporting around, like an M-course, maybe go CF45 (34mph but good handling) and CF48, or metal props (much beter) with the M445 or X642. All out oval, go as fat as possible, try the X440/3.

To ensure propper setup (prop, your trim tabs, and strut position) you have to monitor temps of batteries, motor, and ESC. ie. If you run a CF48 in a stock SV27 and don't have the setup correct (like running the boat too wet, or on dead calm water with wrong setup), you can easily fry a pack or two in half a run. Make sure you always get batt temps with an IR temp gun when trying new props or trim tab/strut settings.

If you're NOT new to boats ignore this.
Hey, I was new to boats back in Sep 06. All of this isn't meant to scare you, but you can't just go fast in rc boats by throwing a prop and batts in. This is meant to give you an idea about what's required for setting up your boat, and will enable you to enjoy it much longer. You have to make sure the boat is setup for the water conditions and that the prop won't draw too much from the batts at one time.
Last edited by Blackjack52; Jan 23, 2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 01:17 PM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
Oopps. The CF props ($5-$6) can be bought as is (in the bag) with no sharpening or balancing required. The metal props ($12-$16) have to be SBP (sharpened, balanced, polished). Most sites tell you how to SBP, or you can pay an $15-30 for the service.

CF props
MHZusa.com, or Offshore electrics,
Metal Props
(Fine Design, Offshore electrics)
Old Jan 21, 2007, 04:19 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
best and fastest

Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Last edited by Mikedown; Jan 21, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 04:47 PM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
Retoabcr,
I was just giving the guy some info on the SV27. No other info was offered on other boats (except Jallen, myself, and SJS, by different owners of different boats. Noticed I said, "If you go SV27.....".

I also let the guy make a deccision about lipos and asked some questions as to the experience of the person who started this thread. I'm not forcing an opinion or disagreeing with anyone. I do however, know, that the SV27 will smack various other hulls in comp, whether they're nitro or electric, hydro, cat, or deep vee.

Should the fact that someone owns a particular store change my opinion, or even the test data that I have run and verified myself? True, they may have more experience, but that's not what is being asked. But thanks anyway for the info on another FE site.

The guy simply wants to know what can be purchased for $300 for a really good deal. Do you have some info to offer the poster of the thread?
Last edited by Blackjack52; Jan 21, 2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 07:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
best and fastest

Last edited by Mikedown; Jan 21, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 08:44 PM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
Reto,
What is your problem? You already wasted 45 characters. I was going to PM you and ask, but a retort out in the open seems more along your lines.

If you can't get into a discussion w/out childish overtones and can't offer anything constructively to the thread, or forum, don't type at all.
Last edited by Blackjack52; Jan 21, 2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 09:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
best and fastest

....Good luck, cool breeze!
Last edited by Mikedown; Jan 21, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2001
3,269 Posts
Lol
sjslhill is offline Find More Posts by sjslhill
Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:34 AM
Lemon Tree Passage NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2001
378 Posts
Blackjack

a 50mph SV27! Lets not get carried away

Tgrant - get yourself down to your local model club and see what is for sale and who can help you - you will go fast and have a ball with a great bunch of guys
Andrew Gilchrist is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Gilchrist