HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2007, 04:06 PM
Joined Oct 2006
78 Posts
Discussion
Eflite-46: Sig 1/5 or 1/6 Scale Cub?

I have an E-Flite 46 lying around I want to build a plane for. My first choice would be a Taylorcraft, but can't seem to find a kit in the right size. My next choice would be the Cub and am looking at the Sig line (will convert to a Super Cub).

I've never flown a Cub so I have no idea how they act on mild power but have read they don't need a ton of power. This plane will be mainly for touch and go's with the occassional mild aerobatic routine thrown in, so crazy power isn't what I'm after.

1/5 scale:
84.5" span
6.5 - 7#

1/6 scale:
71" span
5 - 5.5#

I'm planning on using Lipo - haven't bought it yet so any help there would be appreciated as well. I'm looking for 12+ minutes per charge. As for the ESC, my thought was to go with the CC60a ESC and a UBEC.

Thanks for any input.
flymeaway is offline Find More Posts by flymeaway
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2007, 05:08 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Great Planes has a very scale looking ARF 80 inch cub , Towers sells it, has a very scale looking covering material , looks like the real stuff . My friend has one and It always gets rave reviews at the field. His is four stoke glow , but I have often thought it would be perfect for the Eflite 46 . the covering just puts it ahead of my Eflite model in looks.

Eflite has just announced a ELECRTIC READY 40 sized 80" ARF Cub due in March with 46 Motor preinstalled. There are already alot of these glow fuel converted already, lots of thread.

Sig kits are nice if you are into building.

I 4S pak will fly this plane easy with a 46 , cub takes little to keep it up and little to take off.

I have the 25 Eflite Cub and it fly so easy and will stay up 25 minutes or more on a full charge .
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Old Jan 18, 2007, 06:31 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,605 Posts
Go with the 1/5. Sig kits can be built pretty light and the 46 can fly in like a cub.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:28 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Jul 2002
397 Posts
If you plan on converting to a Super Cub, you may want to check out Adrian Page's Super Cub. There is a big thread on it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246286

Im building one myself and its a fairly easy build designed for electric power.

If you go with Sig, I beleive the 1/5 scale was the one that was redesigned and laser cut a few years ago.

Your motor would be fine for either bird.

Good Luck,
Dave
DavidMC is offline Find More Posts by DavidMC
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:10 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymeaway
I have an E-Flite 46 lying around I want to build a plane for. My first choice would be a Taylorcraft, but can't seem to find a kit in the right size. My next choice would be the Cub and am looking at the Sig line (will convert to a Super Cub).

I've never flown a Cub so I have no idea how they act on mild power but have read they don't need a ton of power. This plane will be mainly for touch and go's with the occassional mild aerobatic routine thrown in, so crazy power isn't what I'm after.

1/5 scale:
84.5" span
6.5 - 7#

1/6 scale:
71" span
5 - 5.5#

I'm planning on using Lipo - haven't bought it yet so any help there would be appreciated as well. I'm looking for 12+ minutes per charge. As for the ESC, my thought was to go with the CC60a ESC and a UBEC.

Thanks for any input.
That little parkflier I'm hiding behind in my avatar is Sig's 1/5th J3 - that colour scheme is scale too (from a Bob Banka "Photo Paak"). It had a MaxCim on 16 x 3000 NiMh and I never flew it past 12 mins!

The Sig kit is absolutely superb, one of the two best kits I've ever built - the other's Adrian Page's Gee Bee R2. With the Cub, all the parts are laser cut and fitted just like the instructions said, to a remarkable standard.

It is also really 1/5th scale - the 81" BARFs are just "IMAA legal" NOT 1/5th scale. I built mine right out the box bar fitting two internal wing mounted aileron servos and the few mods needed to fit my electrics - my motor mounted fine, I added some cooling holes to the kit firewall and two ply plates in the fus floor, front end of the cockpit for two 8 jug packs in series. They fitted neater than one long 16 jugger.

Test flying was done by the organiser of our local electric funfly 'grounding' everyone and then suggesting I got my cowardly donkey out there and committed aviation. The model took off and flew like it had done it for years.

Your 46 should do fine, with appropriate LiPos. I never got around to checking my current and wattage, but a SWAG suggested it was only pulling 30A at the maximum - so some 480W did a fine job of flying this 8lb 2oz model. With around a 3700mA LiPo, you're going going to top your 12 minutes easily, plus the Sig kit has a working side door and window, which makes it real easy to access the battery.

That 46 would be way, way too much power and weight for the 1/6th, unless you wanted to fly real unscale and goofy. I'm now building one of them for a 3S or 4S with a Mega on DD, so will be able to comment on that kit later this year - can tell you that it is a really old - read ancient - kit and if you aren't an aeromodeller with considerable RC experience, you might not enjoy that one so much.

If you want excitement, the kit also contains all the relevant parts to build it as either a J3 or a clipwing - Hazel Sig campaigned one of them in full scale aerobatic comps years back.

Cubs don't so much fly, as gently levitate while moving forwards slowly! I have, however, seen a J3 do a loop, a single barrel-y roll (of sorts!) and a one turn spin. The Sig 1/5th did a superb job of emulating this - her only wierd characteristic about caught me out once. I was coming in to land and she had really slowed up - to the point where the controls sort of stopped controlling! A little more power, a knot or two extra and all was well, and she never got near stalling.

In case you're wondering - I sold it, as it was royal PITA to carry in my Passat wagon if I took much else. As in, my wife... It was, however, a real show stopper. If I ever find myself with more car, I might just do another as a clipwing though - the fus was the issue in my little wagon.

Cub / Super Cub? It's all in the cowling, though if you want to go Super Cub, you may care to look up Adrian Page's "Page Aviation" - http://www.adrianpage.com/ - and his 81" Super Cub. It's a little semiscale, compared to the Sig 1/5th, but looks good enough and is very lightly built and Adrian does very good kits. You'd be looking at around 5 - 6lbs for Adrian's model from what I hear of it.

If you want Cub websites, I have some if you're interested. Otherwise, Bob Banka's Aircraft Documentation - http://www.bobsairdoc.com/ - does real well in paper prints, with a lot of choices of different Cubs. I've nothing personal against yellow Cubs - it's the only machine ever built that looks good in yellow, IMO - but the ads are full of BARF yellow Cub-like models. My 1/6th is being built as a clipwing in red, white and blue, sunbursts on topsides, chequers under the wing - real neat, and I got the reference shots from Bob.

Hope that helps

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:27 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,328 Posts
My old H9 1/5 is a pig compared to Sig; but flies outstanding -- length of the field inverted or Cub like pases and puttering for 20minutes: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...84&postcount=5 .

Lots of set-up info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203529
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:31 PM
Joined Oct 2006
78 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies - I really appreciate it. That helps my decision along a bit - the 1/5 Sig sounds like the kit for me. I had great ambitions this winter to scratch a Rearwin Cloudster to fit the Power-46, but that life and work thing won't have any of that. I need to build though - much prefer over ARF's (although I've put a few ARFs together, I would rather build).

As for the Page SC, well, I've had one on order since November. I'm thinking I'm not going to get it as Adrian is a rather busy boy these days and understandably so. Nothing against him at all, but I need to get building so I have something to fly come spring (well, something else to fly I should say).

Regarding the clip winged cubs - do they fly as nicely as the regular winged cubs? More power needed if clipped? The reason I ask is that I've actually been torn between a Decathlon and a Cub, reason being is that I'm used to flying Extras so a little more aerobatic inclined bird would never be a bad thing. Of course, this plane is for puttsing around and working on rudder skills and landing, so maybe I don't need another hot rod.

thanks again
Old Jan 19, 2007, 09:36 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Re clipwing Cubs - again, let you know once I get mine together and fly it! Apart from an inevitable loss of a couple of MPH around stalling speed, I can't see why their handling should degrade.

I do recall reading a website a couple of years ago where the author -a lover of J3s - almost implored those desiring a clipwing to at least find one that was already 'clipped' and buy or restore that, rather than what he almost regarded as destroying an historic artifact!

As to aerobatics - clip the wings, up the power, fly skilfully - it'll do way more aerobatics than a J3, but it's still a Piper Cub. A low powered, right way up cruiser designed to haul two people around as long as they aren't in a hurry... The clipwings in the right hands could do a lot more aerobatics, but you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

I still look forward to having my clipwing in the hangar - alongside my own design large scale model of a F3A pattern bird, which can do it all and a few others I still can't spell.

My clipwing will have a little more power than's needed - am going to try her on 3 or 4S - as it's easier to fly scale-like with more power than less.

Shame that about Adrian. His kits are superb. Maybe he'll sell the rights to some Chinese BARF mill? Oops - one of them already stole his 1/5th Gee Bee R2, just last year. Suspect now they're waiting for him to quit so they can re-sell it in the US

Go forth and clip that Sig Cub, you know you want it so bad it hurts

D
Old Jan 19, 2007, 02:31 PM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
Hey Dereck, long time no see.. hello from Miami..

I am converting an ex glow Balsa USA 1/4 scale cub to electric as we speak, about a couple of kilowatts courtesy of Dewalt power tool lipos.

The Balsa USA Cub replicates the front cabane structure of a real cub by using 4 pieces of 5/32 wire.. very nice!, not the typical clunky looks that kits have..

Herm
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Jan 19, 2007, 07:34 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Herm
Keep hearing you're still down there, suffering under that sun Sounds like what you're doing is similar to Tom Hunt's big yella Cub. I saw that fly a few years back - real nice and smooth. Typical Tom - the only reason he did lower passes with his Spitfire than with the Cub was the Spit had retracts

Cub's a bit flash for you isn't it? Last I heard, you were still working on the Ultimate Kadet Sig do some of the best electric models around - and they sell them with the glow conversions right there on the plans...

Regards

Dereck
Freezing away just outside of the Disaster of Columbia - but going indoor flying tomorrow
Old Jan 20, 2007, 09:23 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,328 Posts
Herm -- please do construction/conversion thread!

I want a bigger E-Cub too; my 1/5 is nice - but bigger would be even more like flying full scale.

Probably need a small one too for our dome flies ( www.marcee.org ) -- no more than 20oz & 20mph!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 20, 2007, 06:58 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
Herm -- please do construction/conversion thread!

I want a bigger E-Cub too; my 1/5 is nice - but bigger would be even more like flying full scale.

Probably need a small one too for our dome flies ( www.marcee.org ) -- no more than 20oz & 20mph!
What's Pat Tritle got out there - doesn't he do a small, ultralight Cub?

I can't think of anyone else who could do this properly

D
Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:44 PM
Joined Nov 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastwatcher
Great Planes has a very scale looking ARF 80 inch cub , Towers sells it, has a very scale looking covering material , looks like the real stuff . My friend has one and It always gets rave reviews at the field. His is four stoke glow , but I have often thought it would be perfect for the Eflite 46 . the covering just puts it ahead of my Eflite model in looks.

Eflite has just announced a ELECRTIC READY 40 sized 80" ARF Cub due in March with 46 Motor preinstalled. There are already alot of these glow fuel converted already, lots of thread.

Sig kits are nice if you are into building.

I 4S pak will fly this plane easy with a 46 , cub takes little to keep it up and little to take off.

I have the 25 Eflite Cub and it fly so easy and will stay up 25 minutes or more on a full charge .
Would the SIG 1/6 scale require much replacement of "glow-rated" material??

Norm
KE4GAH is offline Find More Posts by KE4GAH
Old Jan 27, 2007, 06:08 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4GAH
Would the SIG 1/6 scale require much replacement of "glow-rated" material??

Norm
So far, have built mine as per the kit. Like most older technology kits, the wise builder keeps an eye open for unsuitable wood - too hard, heavy, light or whatever.

The great thing about the kit Cubs are that they were designed as scale models of Cubs, which makes them a little complex to be sure, but if you don't want complexity, go by an UglyStikRipOff. The BARFs are just Cub shaped sports models designed for laser cutting and assembly by unskilled cheap labour.

A 1/5th scale J3 is 84.5" span - I checked that one. 80" is "IMAA Legal" which means people will pay far more for them than if they were, say, 79" span, and cheaper to build than true 1/5th

Plus they're all yellow...

For the short attention span, or those who can't/won't build, go buy the big shiny box. Those who want a scale J3 or clipwing Cub model, in their preferred colour scheme, with woodwork to their standard are going to look to the Sig kits at this size

Simple really

Dereck

who had a yellow Cub once - a 16" rubber powered profile FF model
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck
Go forth and clip that Sig Cub, you know you want it so bad it hurts

D
...and that's exactly what I decided to do.

Got the kit last week and started it this weekend. After going through the parts and pieces and manual, I'm rather impressed. All wood was in great shape, no broken pieces, excellent laser cutting (most parts fall out when you pick the sheet up).

I've got a few ideas for electric mods and lightening, but this is my first E-conversion of a kit, so I'm sure I'll be checking back to ask many questions.

My first hurdle is to figure out how to build the cabin in such a way that will support a one piece wing rather than the two wing/wing tube set up. Of course I could just build the two piece wing and be done with it.