Old Jan 18, 2007, 03:43 PM
Rookie
Winchester,UK
Joined Sep 2006
97 Posts
Discussion
E-Starter and equipment weight

Hi chaps.

I've been building my first aileron trainer. As recommended a while back by you guys, I plumped for the GWS E-starter. I'm still waiting for that to arrive though.

My question is, does 280-300 grams seem reasonable for all the electronics? I've got myself a fat old 2100mah lipo battery and a brushless motor in preparation for it so I can have long flight time, rather than the 5 minutes I get with my current plane. But this seems reasonbly heavy, and the E-Starter is obviously a light and small plane.

I'm pretty sure the motor has plenty of poke to keep it airborne, but when what would you guys guess would be a light setup that'd allow slow flight? Am I above that threshold and likely to have to avoid slow flight?

Thanks.
Fallout is offline Find More Posts by Fallout
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2007, 05:52 PM
oh crap! did I do that?
cochran,GA
Joined Oct 2005
268 Posts
What motor and equipment are you planning to use?
JTStone is offline Find More Posts by JTStone
Old Jan 18, 2007, 06:48 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
I'm using "standard" size servos on my e-starter with a 2200mah 11.1V Li-Po with the stock EPS-400 gearbox motor, and she still flies. Unfortunately.. she doesn't fly very slowly. But luckily I have enough flight time that I can compensate for that factor.

Basically... 16oz to 17oz is the average weight you want on the e-starter for nice and slow flying... anything over 18oz to 19oz.. and she's gonna be considerably faster due to the weight.

As long as you have a good motor/prop combination, that can really pull well, you'll be fiine. The e-starter is a VERY forgiving plane. Probably why they're such a great choice for an aileron trainer.

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:30 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I've always recomended the 350-C and a 1000-1320mah lipo batt for beginners and the E-starters. Mine usually weigh about 12ozs and fly with power, about 45 degree climb and can fly in more than 20mph winds, that is if you can as well.
The bigger the motor, the bigger the batt and the heavier the plane. So the slower it don't go and the harder it does crash! Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jan 19, 2007, 08:57 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Not sure of the weight (will weight it tonight and let you know) but the plane is very forgiving and can handle "extra" weight with no issue as long as your power system is up to it...

EFlite 450 BL outrunner
EFlite 20 amp ESC
4 EFlite S75's servos (2 on the aelirons in the wings for more throw)
GWS 4 ch RX
TP 3S 2100 lipo (cut the battery area out to fit before glueing the halves together)
10x7 E APC Prop (switching to a 10x8 or 10x9 prop) I have flown on a 11x5.5E APC with no issues.

The mods I did:
-CF across bottom of wing about a 1/4 inch back from LE.
-Opened up battery area for a 2100 lipo (use velcro to hold battery in)
-Servos mounted to underside of each wing for direct aeliron throw
-No tail wheel... used Piano wire instead... no rudder damage this way in tail grass/hard landings
- 3 inch MPI wheels
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:31 PM
Rookie
Winchester,UK
Joined Sep 2006
97 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Well, I'm not sure of my make of brushless. I picked it up off ebay a while back at a bargain price on another whim, then got a brushless speed controller off ebay soon after when I realised they needed em (this is a habbit of mine). However, it's definitely got plenty of pulling power, and I have all the electronics wired up (but no plane to put them in yet) and with a prop on the engine pulls hard in my hand. I expect it will be plenty powerful enough. The servos are 9g TowerPro. The receiver is a micro hitec with a good range on it. I'm building this relatively cheap, except for the battery.

It's sounds like from what you guys are saying I'll be ok, although I've seen a few threads and mention of problems with ailerons in single servo configuration. I have another micro servo tucked away that I could dig out, but I dont have a y-harness. Would you guys recommend I go for the twin servo config for the ailerons straight away, or will 1 servo be adequate to start off with?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:20 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
1 will work and fly it without issue... I went to two because I wanted to make the plane preform more agressively....so if you think you will out grow loops and rolls and want a more agressive handling plane then go to two servos during the build... of course it only took me 15 minutes to convert to two servos after I crashed her (trash can grabbed the wing tip and spun me into a sign during a landing... I swear it wasnt pilot error )
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jan 19, 2007, 02:13 PM
Rookie
Winchester,UK
Joined Sep 2006
97 Posts
I've had the same problem with a tree and also a telephone line. They jump out and try and take you down. Both times the plane survived unscaved though.

Ok, I'll stick with 1 servo for now then and see how it goes. I think I'm sorted. Thanks guys. Now I just need the guy I bought the plane from to post it ... it says on his site "out of stock planes may take up to 3 or 4 weeks to deliver". I hope that doesn't mean "we can't be bothered to keep stuff in stock, and we'll order it from our suppliers a few weeks after you've ordered it from us". :S