Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:18 PM
Sticks & Stones
Kinston, North Carolina
Joined Dec 2006
214 Posts
Question
First 3-D choice??

Hi All,

Have not flown planes in years, fly helicopters, and do serious RC submarines.

What would be a good choice for a forgiving 3-D airplane.

Thanks, Strick
Strick is offline Find More Posts by Strick
Last edited by Strick; Jan 17, 2007 at 11:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:07 AM
Team $CRILLA_VILLA
sacramento, california
Joined Oct 2006
284 Posts
hi strick, get back into planes now! 3d is a blast,but with so many options out there its a very hard choice to make, i'd start with something made from epp to help with crash survival,there's also one called the carbon traveler convertable that looks promising, its made with carbon rods & ripstop material, check out the video from acesim rc, i'm serously thinking about this one for front yard action, i'd personally stay away from depron planes for now (even though they say its durable). good luck
bajajrider is offline Find More Posts by bajajrider
Old Jan 18, 2007, 04:41 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Dec 2006
202 Posts
Hi
although i havent posted in the 3D forum yet, i think a joker will be an excellent choice. They come from New Zealand here...http://www.canterburysailplanes.co.n...0Electric.html
I got one for christmas and it is fantastic, Very forgiving,a little sensitivethough, and tough. They are electric and can be flown in a gym. And yes, it is EPP.

Budget_man
Budget_man is offline Find More Posts by Budget_man
Old Jan 18, 2007, 04:51 AM
Landing is inevitable
Singapore
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
I'd suggest a Hacker Zoom for a 3D trainer. Have one whis already has over a hundred flight and 300 crashes.

It's definitely not the best performing 3D plane out there but it is very forgiving and easily repairable with normal CA and kicker.

This is the plane which I do all my silly low level flights and sub-terranean loops.

Cheers
RandomTask
randomtask is offline Find More Posts by randomtask
Old Jan 18, 2007, 05:37 AM
Joined Jul 2005
287 Posts
E-Foamies.com has a number of GREAT planes. I've flown a number of other "durable" planes, and the Extra 300, Yak 54, and Edge 540 are just too nice to pass up.. Very stable, yet highly maneuverable. Also great to learn hovering with...
iflybyu77 is offline Find More Posts by iflybyu77
Old Jan 18, 2007, 05:45 AM
this place rocks!!!
albuquerque,nm
Joined May 2005
223 Posts
E-foamies.com or slofly.com have some wonderful products!

Once you get the hang of it the Tensor 4D hover's like a dream.
wannafly1 is offline Find More Posts by wannafly1
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:18 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
deffinately e-foamies.com--extra, yak, or edge---edge not on the site but call and ask.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:54 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
If you like RTF - the Parkzone Typhoon is good. $220 gets you everything you need (plane, transmitter, 9 cell NMiH battery, charger, already brushless, z-foam which is pretty tough). There's also a plug-n-play version if you have your own equipment.

Easy upgrade to Lipo (just change the speed controller settings). It does pretty good on the stock battery but it really comes alive with the LIPO.

There's a huge thread about this plane if you need more info. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354165
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jan 18, 2007, 01:41 PM
San Antonio TX
Joined Aug 2006
363 Posts
You'll probably want a foam plane for durability. Although there are a lot of fine flying balsa planes out there, most will not take the abuse foam will. There are basically two foam camps - depron and EPP. EPP is generally more crash worthy at the expense of stiffness which usually makes them fly less precisely than depron.

Of the depron planes, the Airfoilz Yak and Edge planes have the most loyal followers and for good reason - they make great planes that will do every 3D trick in the book and fly very precisely even in moderate wind. They fly like a much bigger plane. They're more durable that balsa, but less durable than EPP.

The most popular of the EPP planes can be divided into the E-Foamies (R3D, mini R3D, Yak and Extra) lovers and the Hacker SuperZoom/Hyperion Sniper lovers.

Although I have both a Airfoilz Edge and an E-Foamies R3D, I love them both. I fly the Airfoilz up a little higher and safer and it does everything I'm capable of doing very well. I fly the R3D down low and dirty and basically abuse the heck out of it. All a crash does is sometimes rip the EPP. Add a little Goop, and your're ready to go try something else that you probably shouldn't be doing three feet off the deck.

I haven't flown a SZ or Sniper, but most of the folks posting here put it somewhere between the Airfoilz and E-Foamies for durability and precision.

So it all boils down to your flying ability and whether precision or survivability is your highest priority. Your milage may vary.

Fly well

TXTATE
TXTATE is offline Find More Posts by TXTATE
Last edited by TXTATE; Jan 19, 2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 03:02 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,335 Posts
Very well said TXTATE!!

I echo your sentiments.

Good Luck.
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:42 PM
Sticks & Stones
Kinston, North Carolina
Joined Dec 2006
214 Posts
Thanks for all the input, my primary objective is just having fun! Enjoy building, do not worry about budget, but like the most for my dollar like everyone else. The Joker seems to be along the lines I had envisioned, and once my skills are honed EPP will be deleted from my vocabulary.

Strick
Old Jan 19, 2007, 08:42 AM
San Antonio TX
Joined Aug 2006
363 Posts
Strick - I'm sure that the Joker is probably a good plane. There's just not much info on this forum about it. The plans call for a geared GWS 350 motor. Most of the popular planes that I mentioned require a more powerful outrunner setup such as a Hacker A20-20L, Hyperion Z 2213-24, Axi ????, etc. You're going to have a more difficult time finding something to move the motor setup into when you're ready to move up to something else. Also, all of the planes I mentioned have symetrical wings. The Joker is a flat plate wing and they generally don't fly as well as wings with an airfoil. Just my two cents. Have fun and do what ever floats your boat.

Fly well.

TXTATE
TXTATE is offline Find More Posts by TXTATE
Old Jan 19, 2007, 09:45 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
I just got a Blade EPP at the AMA convention. Very easy to assemble and flies really nice. I bonked it on the ground a few times trying to keep it in my back yard in the wind and it is none the worse for wear. AUW is right at 8 oz. I would not hesitate to recommend this plane as a 3D trainer.

Blessings, Terry
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Last edited by still4given; Jan 19, 2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:01 AM
Big Rapids, Michigan, United States
Joined Jun 2002
302 Posts
Strick
If you like to build and like balsa kits try this link
http://kalteisen.com/
The skeeters come in many sizes, just finished 02-36 had it ready to cover in about 2 hours
Some time this year all his kits will be cut using a CNC router no burn marks
I have 2 skeeter 30s, 1 skeeter 40 and 1 02-36
Hope this helps
Tony
cornj is offline Find More Posts by cornj
Old Feb 24, 2007, 09:50 AM
Sticks & Stones
Kinston, North Carolina
Joined Dec 2006
214 Posts
Presently, building a Slowfly mini 28! Looked to be a great little plane with a large following, while not a serious 3-D it has the forgiving nature I need.

Thanks for all the input, Strick