HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2002, 07:50 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Anyone have interference problems with aluminum or chrome covering

I built this older plane last winter, Joe Bridi/RCM Trainer 40. I have had major glitch problem with this plane but none on my others (all on Ch 54). I've changed the rx, the servos (six different ones) and tried three different gyros. All of the flights have been with a gyro, but as I said I've tried three different ones. I am begining to think the problem is from the patches of aluminized covering used on the plane (Mica Film) on the underside of the fuselage and a patch on each wing panel top and bottom. The antenna of both rx's that I've tried come out the top of the fuselage just aft of the wing and run up to the top of the vertical stab and then hanges free. That seems OK from what I've read, but I get these massive aileron deflections for an instant then it's alright again. Of course the plane may be upside down 50' up so it's not all that OK. I've crashed the plane badly once and can't seem to nail this problem down.
Any sugestions would be welcome.
Rob.
RobZ is offline Find More Posts by RobZ
Last edited by RobZ; Sep 22, 2002 at 10:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2002, 09:57 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Look for any metal to metal contact in the airplane. Check at the motor very closely. Check motor mount screws, muffler mount screws, control clasps, etc. Don't forget the other places where metal can touch metal.

Check that the power to the receiver is stable, looking for intermittent power switches, loose plugs or receiver battery itself.

Donít' worry about the covering, unless the metal covering is touching other metal parts.

Range check the plane on the ground with the engine running to identify the problem and confirm a solution.

Past that, with all that you have already done, it's a .

P.S. Is the gyro necessary, at least to identify the source of the problem?
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Sep 22, 2002, 10:27 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Thanks Gary.
It's interesting you mentioned the gyro. I have read that they are hard on the servos that they run because they cycle so fast. it sure acts like a metal to metal type glitch but no metal to metal that I can find. In all of the years I've been in R/C I've never seen anything like this. I forgot to mention that I changed the switch harness too and also have had it happen at two fields. Also it has to be in the fuselage because I built a new wing for it and got the same glitch (although it gave me more wing area and that is why I built it).
Thanks again.
Rob.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:15 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Another thing comes to mind. Try re-routing the receiver antenna to another place. I have an electric plane that has always glitched when in a cretin place and attitude in the sky. It was reproducible by flying it again and again in that same place. I tried everything until I finally ran the antenna down the wing instead of the fuselage. It's never glitched since.
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Sep 24, 2002, 04:14 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Jul 2002
99 Posts
Have u tried taking your radio gear outa your plane and putting it in another try this see if u still have the problem also make sure your ariel is firmly slodered to your reciever! and another question do your have metal geared servos or metal to metal clevisis i had a plane that had these i think thats what cause its early demise!
Da Flying Man is offline Find More Posts by Da Flying Man
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:39 AM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
One other place you could check metal to metal is your throttle, If you use a metal clevis on a metal throttle arm it can vibrate and cause rf noise, Other than that I would say to try running the antenna different and make sure the battery is not too close to the RX.

Good luck
Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Sep 25, 2002, 08:11 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Thanks Dantae, Da Flying Man and Garry.
I can't see any metal to metal contact but my Rx is close to my battery. In fact it's sitting right on top of it. Is this a problem?
Da Flying Man, I'm thinking about building a shed like your's, the one you retreat to when the wife gets unreasonable about money. Only thing is I'll have to shovel the snow to get to it in winter. This shoveling might be missinterpreted at willingness to shovel all the rest of the snow instead of working on my planes
Rob
Old Sep 26, 2002, 05:43 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Jul 2002
99 Posts
i dont have the problem with the snow because there isnt any.what you could do is work on a tunnel from under your floor or outa your basement and in to your shed and your wife will never know your in there but do it in summer your hands wont get too cold then. and if u really wanna get away set up a bed in your shed!!
Da Flying Man is offline Find More Posts by Da Flying Man
Old Sep 26, 2002, 05:14 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
You know Da Flying Man, I see your point about snow in Adelaide.
I think the tunnel idea is a good one. I think when I do it though, I just won't suface. I'll make the shed under the snow too. Maybe I should bury an old bus out back
Rob.