SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:58 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,298 Posts
Discussion
Tail rotor housing is turning on tail boom.

I noticed while flying tail-in that the tail rotor housing (and of course the tail rotor and motor) had turned counter clockwise a bit on the tail boom. After further inspection, I discovered that the tail rotor housing was somewhat loose and was turning freely on the tail boom. I tightened the two screws on each side of the metal tail rotor gear, but the tail rotor housing still is able to be turned by hand. First of all, should the tail rotor housing be able to turn like that? Secondly, if not, any answers on how to tighten the tail rotor housing to keep from turning? Thanks.
racin06 is online now Find More Posts by racin06
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:03 PM
Chicago O, Illinois, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,450 Posts
It should not happen, because those come pre-glued to the boom. If you can, desolder the motor wires (don't lose them inside the boom or cut them however!) and remove the housing completely. Spread a small amount of CA over the entire contact area, and push the housing back on. Be 100% sure that it is going on vertically, however, because it will be near impossible to remove it after this.

Sponge
Spongebob is offline Find More Posts by Spongebob
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:04 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,509 Posts
Which heli do you have?

If it's a Honey Bee (or similar) the plastic tail rotor housing is glued to the tail boom. It is possible for it to break free and rotate. It should NOT rotate! A drop of thin CA (superglue) should fix it.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
119 Posts
just becareful with the CA and not glue the motor wires to the inside of the boom or the motor housing. That would make it extremely hard to replace a tailboom if you had to.
SCORP27 is offline Find More Posts by SCORP27
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:16 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,298 Posts
I have the HB FP. I also just noticed that the two screws in which I was talking about are used to secure the tail motor to the housing. Boy do I feel really dumb! Anyway, thanks again and I will use some CA to fix the problem.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:35 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,298 Posts
I was able to pull the tail rotor housing to the rear about a 1/8". I applied a drop of CA, then pushed forward and squared things up. Worked like a charm. Oh I forgot to mention how the housing became loose. I've been working on my nose-in hovering and I got a little close to the concrete wall in my basement while attempting to do some pirouettes from the nose-in orientation. I'm still having a great time with my HB FP!

Sorry Chris, I thought I posted this in the Honey Bee FP thread. I just noticed that I started an entire different thread. Now, I see why you asked which heli I had.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 09:41 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06
Sorry Chris, I thought I posted this in the Honey Bee FP thread. I just noticed that I started an entire different thread. Now, I see why you asked which heli I had.
No worries, I'm glad you got it fixed!

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris