SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2007, 02:26 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,487 Posts
Discussion
Hurricane 550 flies in a hurricane, Video!

Hi all,

Well, we have had one of the worst storms in Sweden for a long time.
Windspeed up to 40 m/s. I wanted to know if the Hurricane could stand such winds . When we shoot this video, it was "only" blowing 27-30 m/s...

No fancy flying, just some easy cruising. I loaded it up with 6S emolis for the first flight (the one on the video). The next flight was on a 5S 4000mA pack, and I where then doing some more 3D like flying, but my camera man didnīt shoot this, he wanted to watch instead.

Hurricane VS Hurricane

Oh, sorry about the music, its a swedish joke. The song is called "Catched by a stormwind" and won the European song contest in the 80s.
Tom Viper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Viper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:11 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
Liked the song. Nice flying. Nice heli. Though your trees are very rigid at 30 m/s winds.
Thanks for sharing.
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:27 PM
toronto
Joined Dec 2006
33 Posts
i was thinking the same thing, it seemed the trees werent moving much during the flight.
simarRC is offline Find More Posts by simarRC
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:34 PM
Joined Feb 2006
960 Posts
I love the music in alot of the euro and asian vids.
maxpower097 is offline Find More Posts by maxpower097
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:46 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,487 Posts
Oh, I can assure you they did! This was a category 5 storm, public was warned not to go outside. The heli acctualy blew on its side, standing still on the ground after the video was shoot. I have flown a zoom400 some years ago in windspeeds up to 18 m/s, but that was not as fun... It nearly blew away.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 01:06 PM
Joined Feb 2006
960 Posts
No offence I'm sure it was windy, but I live in Florida and has seen alot of hurricanes. First stage is when it starts all the transformers start to blow from the wind. Notice there was no debrit blowing buy. Looks like they may be on the outskirts 150 miles from the center. I know its a nice heli but to honestly say its flying in a catagory 5 storm winds need to be over 100mph.
And the max speed of most RC helis is around 80mph. So in a dead run into the wind you will still be going 20mph in revearse.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 01:13 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,487 Posts
Hi, hehe, no,no... we donīt have the same scale here, we donīt even have hurricanes! So the cat5 is the swedish messurement of a storm, not even close to thoose in Florida offcourse. This was a storm, but no hurricane, that was a joke. The name of the heli is Hurricane, so I thought it would suit the name of the video.

A funny thing is that after you started name the hurricanes, katrina etc, they started name the storms here in sweden as well.
So geeky, this storm was called "Per"...A couple of years ago, we had a storm called "Gudrun"...awfull swedish names
Old Jan 18, 2007, 01:54 PM
Joined Feb 2006
960 Posts
hahhahh that is funny. Ok your post makes more sence now. I have been in about 4 bad hurricanes and they didn't look nothing like the video. Ok that funny then. I had a friend in highschool that was swedish. His name was Per. and his moms name was Guinilla or something swedish like that.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 03:39 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , slow net cant download it , but heres a video of what started the storm you were flying in storm maker
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Jan 18, 2007, 04:12 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,487 Posts
misskimo, do you have alot of snow this year? Or is is just like here, only raining and windy? Downloading your video now... but I have my guesses of what I will see...
Old Jan 18, 2007, 04:19 PM
Joined Nov 2001
1,487 Posts
Ahh, the butterfly effect... that was one of the nicest and smoothest 3D vidīs Iīve seen for a while. Im acctually not being so impressed with the "quick and dirty" 3D styles, this gentle more accurate flyingstyle is both harder to perform and looks so much better.

Love thoose backwards rolls (0.32 in the video).
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:24 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey, yeh , the quick darty affect is nice in moving from A to B just to show power , but smooth rolls and flips add a big touch to it, and shows full control.
Marcus Kim can sure do it , I like his style alot , yeh Marcus is between hard core and FAI, or German style, (Smooth Ripping).
When I get home from my remote job site , I will download the video .
I cant fly here , nothing but snow , ICE, (rain!!!) "when you are taking a shower" and cold COLD too cold to fly!
3 more months till I can fly here
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo