SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:22 AM
Winside Nebraska
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
Discussion
Glue for pink foam

My next project is most likley going to be with the 1/4 inch pink fanfold. I also have most of a 2" 4x8 sheet in the garage to work with too. What is everybodys glue of choice. I have medium foam safe ca and some probond and a hot glue gun. If I have to I can work with those. The ca sometimes takes a while to set up and I dont like waiting forever with the probond. I read something last night about mixing it with white glue instead of water so I may have to give that a try. The hot glue works well in some places but other places its just not quite what I need.
Just looking for other options. Is there a contact cement or rubber cement in a can that wont eat the foam? Doesent help that im impatient when it comes to glue drying.
Nick
Cautrell05 is offline Find More Posts by Cautrell05
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:43 AM
Joined Nov 2006
21 Posts
I use gorrilla glue, you have to wait for it to dry but it makes great joints and fills large gaps with good streangth.
KJRCACE is offline Find More Posts by KJRCACE
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:57 AM
Califorina
Joined Feb 2002
213 Posts
Nick,

If you want the Probond( elmer's brand) to cure faster mix it 75/25(elmer's white glue) starts to harden in 20-35 mins then let it cure for 2-4 hrs. I also have done 50/50 take 15- 20min. It will look light grey in color when mixed.

Mike
Weldman is offline Find More Posts by Weldman
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:02 PM
Joined May 2006
2 Posts
glue

I've done quite a bit of work with Blucor and tried lotsa different types of glue.
The type that gives me the most satisfactory results is canopy glue, i.e., RC-56 or Pacer Formula 560. Yes, you have to wait for it to dry, but the end result is worth it. They are supposedly the same formulations, but I have worked mostly with Formula 560 which happens to be the most expensive of the two.
Just this past week a buddy of mine discovered a product at A.C. Moore called Super Tacky which comes in a 4 oz. bottle for $.79 and appears to have the same characteristics as Formula 560. He brought a couple of pieces of 3 mil Depron that he had glued together with the stuff and I couldn't pull them apart without destroying the foam.
3M C-77 is a contact cement that doesn't attack many foams and is pretty strong, but try it first on a test piece just to be sure.
G.
geobet is offline Find More Posts by geobet
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:34 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
I like Polyurethane glues. Gorilla or Probond.

Probond is a bit runnier then Gorilla.

Mixed with water 3 parts glue to 1 part water speeds the curing a lot.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Jan 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
S55
Beaverton, OR, USA
Joined Feb 2001
773 Posts
Probond (polyurethane glue), Gorilla glue (basically the same) are great for foam. Be aware they expand a lot, especially if mixed with a drop of water or if high humidity is present. Tape the glued joint to prevent the glue to burst out too much.

A new polyurethane based glue that does not expand that much is the Sumo glue (I only saw it at Lowes). It also cures quicker, but it is a bit more expensive.

Many times I prefer epoxy because I do not have to worry about the expansion.

I use 3M Super 77 to laminate foam sheets. If too much is applied it will eat foam, so apply in quick passes. I use it on bluecor, pink foam, depron. Itís good to practice on some spare pieces first.

Hope it helps,
S55
S55 is offline Find More Posts by S55
Old Jan 17, 2007, 02:00 PM
Joined Mar 2006
927 Posts
a hot glue gun set on medium. That's all I use for foam flyers.
Will Rock is offline Find More Posts by Will Rock
Old Jan 17, 2007, 02:11 PM
Time for another motto!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2006
1,413 Posts
UHU-por is a nice foamsafe contact cement. Apply thin to both surfaces, let it dry for a few mins and push tightly together. It remains a bit rubbery, but for foam that is not bad. UHU is made in germany, but i've heard it was wexported to the US too. United Hobbies has some glue too, and as a nice exotic cachet, the tilte 'Foam Safe Glue' is printed in chinese on the tube. Gws has similar glue with their kits, maybe that is for sale separately too.
JelleB is offline Find More Posts by JelleB
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:28 PM
Quincy, Illinois
Joined Dec 2001
117 Posts
UHU-por is the best, strong, yet slightly flexible joint.
fxstbi is offline Find More Posts by fxstbi
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:33 PM
Joined Sep 2005
934 Posts
Loctite has a new glue called Sumo which is a clear version of Gorilla Glue. It turns white when it foams instead of brown like Gorilla glue. Its my slow glue of choice on Depron.
GallopingGhost is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhost