HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:56 PM
Advanced Learner
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Dec 2006
2,753 Posts
Discussion
Lama V3 - Swashplate doesn't seem like it's at the right height...

Hey all,

Been messing with my heli, taking it apart and such, lately. This is the second time that I've put it back together and the swashplate seems like it is too low.

Now, the right arm (from behind) routinely hits the rear motor. Before I had taken it apart, I don't think that the arm hit at all. Does anyone else experience this issue?

Also, any chance someone (who believes their swashplate is at the right height) can post a picture, from the side, of that general area so I can compare mine?

Thanks!
StarmanDXE is offline Find More Posts by StarmanDXE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2007, 08:34 PM
RI
Joined Dec 2006
172 Posts
Heres mine,the swash has never been removed nor the inner or outer shaft.Its as is from factory.Hope it helps.

Paul6ppca is offline Find More Posts by Paul6ppca
Old Jan 16, 2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced Learner
Joined Dec 2006
2,753 Posts
From that angle, looks like mine is riding a bit low... Not sure if it's in my head, but, any chance you could take a picture of the other side for me? Also, can you measure the size of that hole in that part above that tab on that one arm of the swashplate when it's level (assuming you have any idea what I'm talking about...) Mine is just a smidgeion under 11 mm.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 09:38 PM
Advanced Learner
Joined Dec 2006
2,753 Posts
Well, I've got it all better now.

Check out this video on youtube:

lama swash plate issues quick fix

He's totally right!

I fixed mine with his general idea, but didn't need to shave off the tail at all. All I did was put 2 little pieces of duct tape stacked on top of each other on the bottom of the motor towards the inside to tilt the motor back a little bit. Swashplate doesn't rub anymore and all seems kosher!

If you want to check yours for issues, pull both of your servos all the way up, and then bring them down individually.

The issue with mine was that when I did this and pulled the servo on the right (from behind) down, it would hit the top of the motor! Not cool. But, all better now

Edit: Decided to also tilt my motor a bit to the left (from behind) to make everything clear completely.
Last edited by StarmanDXE; Jan 16, 2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:55 PM
Joined Dec 2006
39 Posts
Mine doesn't come close to the motor at all, no matter what position the servos are in. The capacitor is the closest thing to the swashplate and it's in no danger of contact with it. I don't know why your's would be any different than mine.

EDIT: Ok, I take that back. There's a glob of solder that rubs the left arm of the swashplate if your rolling left and forward (right servo all the way up and left servo all the way down. Now why couldn't Lama have positioned the swashplate just a little bit higher?

I have to wonder about repositioning the motor though. That can't be good for the gears if they are not meshed correctly, and probably not good for the motor bearings either.

It might almost be better to file a notch in the swashplate arm instead.
St8kouts is offline Find More Posts by St8kouts
Last edited by St8kouts; Jan 16, 2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:34 PM
avt
Hell Flyer
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
1,229 Posts
If you make sure your lower blades are at the right height, your swashplate has to be at the right height too.
I apologize if all this is old news for you, but the outer shaft has two holes in it where the upper screws of the lower blades holder are going. When you reassemble the holders on the shaft, make sure the upper screws go in the holes. You know they did if they don't stick out of their place in the holder, meaning they should look like they're going deeper than the lower two screws.
Then when the holder sits in place and the swashplate is attached to the blades and it is horizontally leveled, then you know it's in the right height.
Again, I apologize if you knew this already, it's just the only issue that came to my mind, becuase I ran into this problem my self. Also when I replaced the original swashplate with the CNC one, even when it was in the right place, the balls thouched the engine's taps. So I just bent them a bit, and now it's just fine.

HTH,
Aviv.
avt is offline Find More Posts by avt
Old Jan 17, 2007, 03:19 AM
pronounce "clawsboob" :o)
Germany
Joined Sep 2006
993 Posts
@ aviv: 100% correct! thats the way it is. i heard about very old lamasv2 that did not have the holes in the outer shaft, but i never saw such a one so i do not know if it is true.

but even when positioned in the correct way (holes and screws matching) the problem st8kouts describes may occur:
quote:"Ok, I take that back. There's a glob of solder that rubs the left arm of the swashplate if your rolling left and forward (right servo all the way up and left servo all the way down. Now why couldn't Lama have positioned the swashplate just a little bit higher?"

if this is the case (most lamas have this, but not the robi r22 because it has the swashplatte some mm higher and for this reason also a different outer shaft) , just grind a bit from the soldering point away, but be sure not to remove it complete because the connection of the capacitor to the motors housing is important for electronic noise compression of the motors.
regards
klaus
klausbub is offline Find More Posts by klausbub
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:49 AM
Advanced Learner
Joined Dec 2006
2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St8kouts
I have to wonder about repositioning the motor though. That can't be good for the gears if they are not meshed correctly, and probably not good for the motor bearings either.

It might almost be better to file a notch in the swashplate arm instead.
That's what I was thinking. The arm seems plenty thick enough. Shaving it down may be the better decision.

Quote:
I apologize if all this is old news for you, but the outer shaft has two holes in it where the upper screws of the lower blades holder are going.
Yeah, I'm aware...

Quote:
When you reassemble the holders on the shaft, make sure the upper screws go in the holes. You know they did if they don't stick out of their place in the holder, meaning they should look like they're going deeper than the lower two screws.
And for some reason, didn't really think of that! Thanks!

Quote:
most lamas have this, but not the robi r22 because it has the swashplatte some mm higher and for this reason also a different outer shaft
Is there any reason that the Robinson-22 outer shaft can't be used on a Lama V3? Perhaps that is the key to being able to use a CNC swashplate!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:47 PM
Joined Dec 2006
39 Posts
I noticed two problems. The first, as already mentioned above, was the left swashplate arm rubbing against a glob of solder on the motor. The right swashplate arm was free of the motor, but was hampered by the motor wires running underneath it. Tucking them away would work, but it occurred to me that I could solve both problems by simply rotating the motor 180 degrees and run the wires along the left side of the shaft (tucked away). The glob of solder is now facing the tail. (Before you plug the motor back in, pay attention to the fact that the red wire of the plug goes on top, the black wire below it.)

It's probably not necessary to file the arm anymore since the arm just barely grazes the motor now, that and the fact I can't find my freakin' round file at the moment. It does only rub when you move the stick to the extreme anyway, in which case probably means the heli is about to demonstrate the law of gravity.
St8kouts is offline Find More Posts by St8kouts
Last edited by St8kouts; Jan 17, 2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 01:42 PM
Advanced Learner
Joined Dec 2006
2,753 Posts
Very interesting. I'm going to have to try tucking that wire away. I did notice that the swashplate hits it.

As far as turning the motor, sounds like a very good solution for your problem, but my arm clearly hits the side/top of the motor itself
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:25 PM
Advanced Learner
Joined Dec 2006
2,753 Posts
Well, I fiddled more with the motor. Tried turning around and what-not. Didn't really accomplish anything other than my setting it back to how I had it. Only problem is now there's this whiny noise coming from the gearing underneath the heli. It only happens when the top rotor (bottom gear) is spinning. I took the motor out and spun it on its own and there wasn't any noise. I then removed all the tape to make the motor level again (as I figured it was a meshing problem with the gears), and the noise was still there...

Any idea what the cause might be?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:45 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,558 Posts
I had the same problem before with a particular set of motors, the motor terminals had a good deal of solder on them and one was bent at such an angle that the swash struck the terminal. I simply bent the terminal away from the swash, problem solved.

I don't know that I would be a big fan of wedging the motor at the mounting points on the mainframe as this will certainly offset the pinion and gear. Which is not desireable to do.

Causes that I have seen in the past have been that the swash has separated, the lower rotor head has slipped down from its mounting screws, the entire inner/outer shaft assembly is not held tight enough in place ( usually causes gear/pinion misalignments though ) and of course globby motor terminals.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Jan 18, 2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 05:39 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Thanks for the video. I don't have this issue, however I wish more people would do vid tut's vs : "move servo 1 at 90o along with swash plate and elevate it at a 5 with the gizmo 5".

Although I'm sure I sound like that when I explain PC's to clients..
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke