HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Discussion
Easy Glider Power Pod and Canon A620 Mount.

Hi all, here is my latest mod to the EZ Glider. I have made a detachable motor mount and sideways looking A620 pointing downwards at 45 deg.

The reason for this is for some field conservation monitoring photography this year.

See: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=19

Other threads relating to my EZG development:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514211

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522577

Gray
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2007, 05:52 PM
All posts Copyright '07
Joined Sep 2004
1,004 Posts
I'm interested in your servo shutter release. Is there an anchor point for the wire on top? What keeps the thing rigid? Very clever.

Regards,
TrappedinNM is offline Find More Posts by TrappedinNM
Old Jan 16, 2007, 05:59 PM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
984 Posts
Hi Gray

I like that EZ Glider setup. I would be interested to know if/how the flight characteristics differ between the EZ Star and the EZ Glider, are there situations where you would use one over the other? One concern I have for my EZ Star is that its going to be a bit 'lardy' with 12oz of Canon A620 on board. How do they compare?

Cheers
DaveB...>
GliderGuideMan is offline Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
Old Jan 16, 2007, 06:17 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,836 Posts
Neat rig Gray!

Looks like you have the perfect AP machine: Slippery but with flaps, silent but powered when needed, ballast capability etc. Did not realise the A620 was that heavy!

Bearded Flyer's EZglider is now nearing completion. (I see from your links that yours was the inspiration for Richard to invest.) I might just join in.

Are you using stock wing joiners or have you beefed up?

Hope you get plenty of service from her for many years.

Cheers

Andrew
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Jan 16, 2007, 06:21 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,399 Posts
Gray, that is nice looking EZGlider. I have mine set up very similar and it is a great AP plane.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jan 16, 2007, 09:50 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
So it flies no problem with that heavy old camera? I used one of the other Canon's that weigh about an ounce less and just about (well, did) killed my plane with it. How much wind do you think the glider can take? My area is in a valley and we always have wind in the 10-20mph range. Calm days are few and far between.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:28 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqlloyd
I'm interested in your servo shutter release. Is there an anchor point for the wire on top? What keeps the thing rigid? Very clever.

Regards,

Here are some pictures of the shutter release. I adjusted the spring and wire so the rubber pad was resting on the shutter button.

Cheers

Gray.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:10 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderGuideMan
Hi Gray

I like that EZ Glider setup. I would be interested to know if/how the flight characteristics differ between the EZ Star and the EZ Glider, are there situations where you would use one over the other? One concern I have for my EZ Star is that its going to be a bit 'lardy' with 12oz of Canon A620 on board. How do they compare?

Cheers
DaveB...>

Hi Dave,
I suppose the main difference between the two is the EZ Glider with its ailerons makes for smoother flying especially when videoing.
I found the Glider turns well using the rudder and using aileron with the rudder gives a better roll rate. With the lower wing loading the easy glider is slower giving better opportunity for photographing. I would still use the EZ* for small field operations, itís still a very good AP plane.

As for the Canon A620, you can cut the weight down by 96g (3.3 oz) if you donít use the 4-AA batteries.
This brings the camera down to about 190g (6.7oz)
I run the camera of the ESC motor controller BEC output and ran the flight pack off a small 400mAh pack but will be getting another BEC to do this job; this should cut the AUW even further.

You should be able to use the A620 in the EZ* using this method Dave!

Gray
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:22 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanlander
Neat rig Gray!

Looks like you have the perfect AP machine: Slippery but with flaps, silent but powered when needed, ballast capability etc. Did not realise the A620 was that heavy!

Bearded Flyer's EZglider is now nearing completion. (I see from your links that yours was the inspiration for Richard to invest.) I might just join in.

Are you using stock wing joiners or have you beefed up?

Hope you get plenty of service from her for many years.

Cheers

Andrew
Andrew Hi,
I built the EZG to standard spec. no beefing up required except for some glass tape around the nose and underside of the fuz.

Richard was interested in the motor mount so I will post some pictures here for him.

Cheers for now

Gray
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:29 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikster
So it flies no problem with that heavy old camera? I used one of the other Canon's that weigh about an ounce less and just about (well, did) killed my plane with it. How much wind do you think the glider can take? My area is in a valley and we always have wind in the 10-20mph range. Calm days are few and far between.

Trikster Hi,
I think the EZ Glider will handle 10 Ė 15 mph quite well 20 mph may be OK depending on turbulence and could be itís upper limit!

Once the weather improves over here I will do some more evaluating with her!

Gray.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:32 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
Gray, that is nice looking EZGlider. I have mine set up very similar and it is a great AP plane.

Quailbird Hi,
I must admit seeing your EZ Glider setup gave me the inspiration to build my one.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 03:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
Gray,

Thanks for the photos of your mount. I assume that you put the esc and Lipo in the 'pod' on top of the wing so not to affect the CofG too much?

My EZGlider is almost ready for painting. When that is done I can build in the electrics and see where it balances. I have hollowed out some foam so that I have the option of putting the battery pack under the wing or in the nose. I am also making the tail feathers removable which will require some more noseweight so I will see how it goes. I want the plane to be a multipurpose unpowered slope soarer, bungee launch glider, speed 400 DD powered glider and AP rig with brushless so it may not do any of those things very well

Is it too late to wish you a Happy Birthday?

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Jan 17, 2007, 04:25 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Graham - Looks like a great set-up, very clean & I like the engineering of the shutter servo.

Post a pic when you have her all put together & ready to fly, OK?

Nice job!

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
Old Jan 17, 2007, 04:31 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray
Trikster Hi,
I think the EZ Glider will handle 10 Ė 15 mph quite well 20 mph may be OK depending on turbulence and could be itís upper limit!

Once the weather improves over here I will do some more evaluating with her!

Gray.
I-ve actually flown my EasyGlider with pylon mounted motor in surface windspeeds gusting to 45 kmh (30mph) for AP no problem (other than it being pushed back in the gusts at altitude). Wouldn't even want to try that with the EasyStar. The aerolons really help imho under gusting wind conditions.

I have glued a carbon rod into the bottom of the fuse for stiffening. It does tend to flex a bit too much to my liking without.

I really like the way you mounted your power pod. Simplicity rules !!!
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:53 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Flyer

Is it too late to wish you a Happy Birthday?

Richard

Thanks for the Bíday greeting mate and no you were spot on, it was yesterday 17th!

The Lipo and ESC lives in the pod so everything can be removed to convert to glider mode.
Sounds like your EZG build is coming on well!

Cheers for now.

Gary