SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2002, 02:27 PM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
GWS DX or DC motor info needed

I just received two GWS geared motor systems from Aeromicro and I'm a little confused. I just emailed Perry at Aeromicro but for some reason the mail was returned. Plus, I know I can get good info here anyway.

My question: I ordered the IPS DX2BB-A motor, yet on the package DX is not checked, DC is. What are the differences between these motors. Is the DC non-ball bearing?
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2002, 03:45 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
I used an alternate email address and got a quick reply.

Here's what Perry emailed:

"IPS-DX2BB (AXCS) is the latest dual ball bearings
gearbox with carbon brushes motor. The DX is older
version with metal wipers motor. GWS doesn't make
the DX version since the end of last year"

Thanks to Aeromicro for the info, and for the great, super-fast delivery of my order.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 09:10 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Sorry that I am to late to reply your request.

Anyway, Perry gave you the right information as well.

The new improved carbon brush motor will last longer than the metal brush old motor.

Enjoy the happiness with GWS products.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Sep 22, 2002, 08:03 PM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
I've found the DC motor to be less powerful than the motor that originally came with my Tiger Moth. Seems like I have to add a cell to get the same oomph.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Sep 22, 2002, 08:58 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Mr. Lin, Thanks for the reply. I guess in the next printing you will change the packaging to reflect the DX motor being discontinued.

Vonbaron, yes that's my motor. I really don't have any experience with these motors, except for a Lite-stik I had for a short while. That may have had the DX motor, I don't know.
How many cells, or what voltage do you find is best with this motor with a 10x4.7 prop and how fast do they wear out on the increased voltage??
Old Sep 23, 2002, 06:48 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Danny: It's still really confusing, isn't it? I keep wanting to call it a DX-A, Since the DX indicates Ball Bearings in the Gearbox, rather than STD which was bushings (as I understand the pn). But, when you throw in the differences in wiper vs brush motor, it throws DX vs DC in the scramble....

So, is it a DC motor on a DX gearbox? I know they also have BB in there now, so maybe that was changed to reduce the DX/STD confusion.

So, maybe its a BB gearbox with a DC motor?

Looking at packaging and tech data from a year ago, the package says Carbon Brush Motor, and just cheked on the ratio, ie: S2, S1, A, B, C, D, E, F. So the DX was for Deluxe, ie: Ball Bearings.

Now for the real confusion: The EPS. The EPS100C-?? has bushings and a 280 motor, the EPS300C-?? has ball bearings and a 300 motor. Not having the packaging, I can't see where the designation difference is.

Any help Mr Lin or Perry?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Sep 23, 2002, 07:38 AM
Plane hugging cat
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Danny, sorry I can't compare life span for you. At this time I haven't actually worn out an IPS! Of course now that I've said that... The new one seems to need an extra cell or a bigger prop to get the same performance. I have only 14 flights/111 minutes with 6 cells and a 10x8 prop so far on the new motor. My old IPS is living a rather long life with over 100 flights/21.3 hours on it and still going.

I don't really like the 10x4.7 prop. The 9x7 seems to go better or even a 10x8.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 09:35 AM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Genebond, If it's confusing to a modeler like yourself, that has a lot of experience with these motors, just think about a person like myself, just getting into them.
I suppose we should be grateful for all the choices GWS gives us, and at reasonable prices. I especially like the heatsink that I bought along with the motors. Very inexpensive, and I love the way it just presses onto the motor...plus it looks pretty cool....no pun intended.

Vonbaron, Interesting. I used the GWS prop I had on hand, a 9x4.7 and performance on my Tiny was pretty anemic. I have a few 10x4.7's on order and was going to try those when they arrived. But I have several APC 9x6. Maybe I'll give them a try. I didn't think the motor could take that much prop.....I guess it can.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 08:44 PM
Plane hugging cat
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
The IPS and 6 cells on a 9x7 is still within spec but Mr GWS would scold me for using the 10x8 unless I dropped the cell count.

Experiment until you find the combination you like. Some people prefer certain props over others.

Some people that shall remain nameless also fly on 7 or 8 cells and a reduced prop size - or not - but the higher cell count burns up motors quicker.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 09:35 PM
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Vonbaron, I'll do a bit of experimenting. The best thing is the price of a replacement motor. It definitely won't break the bank.....or break it any worse than it's broken already.

Danny