HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2002, 11:09 PM
Tampa, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
711 Posts
Painting Blue FFF...paper trick.

I've been building X-Bows for about 2 weeks now and have had one problem. When I sand the leading edges on the flying surfaces (Canard and Fins) I of course have to remove the paper. Then when I paint it, it is all porous and does not look right or as well as that with the paper still on it. Not to mention if I mask off an area to paint sometimes the paper pulls off with the masking tape.

So here is what I tried tonight. I peeled back all the paper in one sheet from the piece I was cutting for a canard, cut the piece and sanded it. Then I used Spray Adhesive (Elmers) and glued the paper back to the canard going around the edges and then doing the same to the opposite side.

I have not painted it yet as I want to let it dry overnight, but it rounded the edges very nicely and the paper seems to be staying down quite well.

I am using the Testors spray model paints and they cover over the paper extremely well in 2 coats. No prep work required, just spray and your done.

I'll post my results tomorow, but in the meantime if anyone has any other suggestions on how I can get around this problem, please let me know.

Robert
RobDog is offline Find More Posts by RobDog
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2002, 10:57 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I peel all mine, and add tape back if needed for strength. This reduces the weight significantly.

As far as paint finish, just take a couple steps back Works for me!

Seriously, though, some guys have used light weight spackle to fill in the uneven surface. It was discussed in the mother of all threads, I believe.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond