HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2007, 03:09 PM
Delaware
Joined Sep 2006
17 Posts
Help!
Newbie with an Easy Star question... -- Answered

I'm thinking about buying an Easy Star, however I really have no idea which connectors to buy. Which connectors do I need for what? From the tiny little mentions of all this stuff all over the internet, I think I need the dean's ultra plugs and multiplex high current plugs. Is this right? And if so, which goes where?
Omelets is offline Find More Posts by Omelets
Last edited by Omelets; Jan 13, 2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Answered
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:00 PM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
I prefer Deans. I think the multiplex are junk, but someone will be here shortly to claim just the oppisite. So take that for what it's worth.

The thing to do with connectors is find out what your Local hobby shop carries the most of, and use that. the reason being is some Saturday afternoon, you're going to break one, or need an extra, or need a replacement. if your LHS supports the part, you are in luck. if they don't, and you have to order it, you'll be out of commision for a week waiting on the mail.
Drunkskunk is offline Find More Posts by Drunkskunk
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:11 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Joined Mar 2003
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelets
I'm thinking about buying an Easy Star, however I really have no idea which connectors to buy. Which connectors do I need for what? From the tiny little mentions of all this stuff all over the internet, I think I need the dean's ultra plugs and multiplex high current plugs. Is this right? And if so, which goes where?
Go with the Dean's Ultra plugs all the way. The Multiplex plugs would work fine (and come with the Easy* motor wire, IIRC) but just aren't popular here as in Europe, and hence may be harder to get when you need them or when buying batteries with connectors installed. Female connector on the battery, male on the motor wires, and which mating connectors to use on the ESC power conductors will be obvious. You'll need 3 pairs (need a male plug for the charger too) plus extra females at one per extra battery pack.

Abel
abel pranger is offline Find More Posts by abel pranger
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:32 PM
Delaware
Joined Sep 2006
17 Posts
Alright, thanks! The only problem if anything breaks is I don't have a car. Even worse, I don't have a license. Even worse, I'm only 14 And my "local" hobby shop is a bit too far to bike on a normal school day anyways --

So, I'm probably just gonna buy some spare parts ahead of time.
Thanks again
Omelets is offline Find More Posts by Omelets
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:38 PM
Hangar 1
Canada, ON, Espanola
Joined Aug 2002
66 Posts
Sermos connectors:

I fly an old Easy Star full of sermos connectors and have never had a problem, but and its a big but, they are really only convenient to attach to wires when you have the West Mountain Radio crimper which is expensive! No solder making it a piece of cake and well worth the money if you are fully committed to the Sermos brand. The connectors come in three wire gauges and I use them exclusively for all sizes of models.
mburton is offline Find More Posts by mburton
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:42 PM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
Why not get the easy star RTF? Everything is included. Very simple. A bit more $, but a good deal nonetheless.
Spark
Sparkorama is offline Find More Posts by Sparkorama
Old Jan 14, 2007, 08:55 AM
Hangar 1
Canada, ON, Espanola
Joined Aug 2002
66 Posts
RTF'ery:

I agree with having a stable of RTFs. I'm an old guy who still likes the smell of balsa dust, glue and dope but I maintain my sanity while building stick and paper planes from mag plans by always having a flyable foamie like the Easy Star on the shelf ready to go! Gets me out and into the daylight when I might have been pulling out my hair at my workbench. ciao
mburton is offline Find More Posts by mburton
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:17 AM
BFMAC Founding Member
Joined Mar 2003
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkorama
Why not get the easy star RTF? Everything is included. Very simple. A bit more $, but a good deal nonetheless.
Spark
It's okay except for the rather useless 6-cell battery and charger, and an 8 A ESC that can't handle the 8-cell pack needed to make the model perform well (past the first few flights by the rank newbie). It does include a $60 R/C system that uses dry batteries and saves about 2 hours assembly time, though.

Abel
abel pranger is offline Find More Posts by abel pranger