Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Trisquire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:03 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,396 Posts
A shot of my Dad's TriSquire, circa 1968; I'm sure it had at least a .40 in here and a span of about 63":
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2009, 09:49 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Aug 2007
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker
One of my projects for the winter is to redesign the Tri-Squire for electric. I think I'll call it the E-Squire! I have a lot of fond memories on my original Tri-Squire, so I'm really looking forward to resurrecting it! If anyone is interested, I can make a kit available.

-Zeke
If i don't win the one I am currently bidding on, I would definately be interested in a kit. I have long wanted another Tri Squire and to convert it to electric.

Thanks
Darcy
Windfree is offline Find More Posts by Windfree
Old Dec 31, 2009, 04:40 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
A shot of my Dad's TriSquire, circa 1968; I'm sure it had at least a .40 in here and a span of about 63":
Thanks for the pic jrb.
Trisquire is online now Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jan 05, 2010, 11:05 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,626 Posts
Not real sure but that pic of jrb's might be a Sky Squire? Bigger engine, rounded wing tips and longer wing.

Got my Tri-Squire framed up and ready for final sanding. Need to finalize the decision on power though and finish up the nose. Someone mentioned a non-steerable nosegear and I can't recall that on my '70's model; was this true?

Glad I found this blog...this is a fine old model that will be alot of fun to fly again.

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Jan 05, 2010, 11:30 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,396 Posts
Could be??? Forty years of recollection Tri could really be Sky!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 05, 2010, 03:00 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,626 Posts
I know what you mean, jrb, my friend...I couldn't remember how the front landing wheel on the Tri-Squire was hooked up (post #19)..had to go and look at the plan and sure enough. It was attached solid. I don't recall that at all, don't recall any problems with it that way either. That's what FIFTY years of modeling information rolling around in the gray matter will do to you at times. LOL

Joe
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:36 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,626 Posts
Does anyone reading this blog have the original Midwest Tri-Squire main landing gear and nose gear, in nice condition, that they would like to sell or donate to a good home? My plan build Tri-Squire is nearing completion and it would be swell to put original gear on her if I can locate the parts. Thanks!

Joe
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:51 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,121 Posts
So let me ask a question of those that know and love the Tri-Squire design...How 'nostalgic' should I be with the redesign? Internal structures I have no problem 'updating' to my usual tabed/notched construction. My question is about the external features...keep the airfoil shaped horizontal stab? How about the wing and horizontal stab being secured by rubber bands?

Options would be a wing that's held in with a wing bolt, going with a flat horizontal stab made from 1/8" balsa that's permanently fixed in place. I'm also thinking of doing a second wing with full length ailerons.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old May 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,121 Posts
Well...other than changes for laser cutting and interlocking parts, I have decided to keep the construction very close to the original. I feel that's the best way to honor the original design and feel, while bringing it into 'modern' times. I have the Wing and horizontal stabilizer completed and will move on to the vertical stab next.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2011, 12:37 PM
USA, MI, Temperance
Joined Apr 2002
13 Posts
Tri Squire

zbrubaker,

I am really interested in your lazer cutting. Put me on your list when you have things completed.

Dave
dwhit593 is offline Find More Posts by dwhit593
Old May 30, 2011, 07:19 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,121 Posts
I made some more progress today on he fuselage. It is my hope to have the re-design completed within the next two weeks and then get some parts cut and a prototype built. I'm really excited to get this done finally.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:39 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,121 Posts
The build has begun! All of this in maybe 3-4 hours of time...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:37 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,121 Posts
Just a little sanding and it's ready for covering...weight right now as you see it with the motor, ESC, two standard size servos and a 3S 2200mAh pack is 32oz. I had hoped the AUW would be 32oz, but I don't think another 4-6 oz for covering and misc hardware will be a problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:26 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,121 Posts
I thought I'd post that I have finished covering, but have not yet done the trim work. I'll try and post a couple of pictures tonight.

Although not 100% complete, I could not resist giving it it's maiden flight. I am happy to report that it flies beautifully (as if that was really in question). So far I have about six flights on it. With a 3S 2200mAh pack, I'm getting about 20-25 minutes of flight time with many ROG's and touch-and-go's and it cruises around happily at half throttle.

Power is supplied by a Turnigy AerodriveXp SK 28-26 100kV motor with a 30A ESC and a 9x6 APC prop. Things left to do are to make a plug for the vacuum formed cowl, trim work and wind screen.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2011, 05:27 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Aug 2007
5 Posts
ZBRUBAKER;

are you still considering making a kit available? I would be very interested in one if you are going to kit it. this was my very first r/c experience ever on an old push button single channel radio. i think the idea of an electric Tri-Squire is wonderful and would still be a GREAT trainer even in today's world.

Thanks
Darcy
Windfree is offline Find More Posts by Windfree