HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MicroRotors, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:47 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,219 Posts
Discussion
Aircraft Storage Racks

Hello To All and Happy 07;

Well I moved From Oxnard, Ca. to Alta Loma / Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. at the end of 2006 and in doing so I had to down size my fleet of aircraft. I need something to rack my planes to keep them from getting hanger rash let alone keeping them off my furniture, floor and off of everything I own. I decided to make a rack system to see what can be done about my storage problem. After looking around the different forums, I came up with some ideas and decided to make one myself. I like it and it was cheap and simple to make, and it looks good to, so I will make 2 more.

If you want to make one the total cost was ... $15.89 and 1.5 hours of actual labor.

Here is the breakdown of materials;

2 - 1x2x6 Poplar .............................. $5.94
5 - 5/8x4 Wood Dowels ................... $9.95
6 – 1.5” Drywall Screws (already had)
Minwax Cherry Stain (already had)

I first drilled the holes were I wanted them with a 5/8” forstner bit at a 7* angle with my Mini Mill/Drill. I then sanded them smooth with some 220 grit sand paper to get my pencil marks off and to soften the outer edges. This seems like a lot of work but it only took about 2 minutes for each 1x2x6 so four minutes was a breeze because the poplar wood sands like butter.
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:49 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,219 Posts
Step 2

The next thing to do is cut the dowels to length. This rack will be for my smaller models for the most part so I opted to make these 12” long and they were a breeze on my small table saw (hand saw would do just fine). I also sanded these a little to soften the edges and just quickly did them. Id have to say it took me about 30 seconds for each one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:53 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,219 Posts
Step 3

Next was to the rack look good so I stained everything before assembly with some stain I had laying around, Minwax Cherry #235. Now this took the longest, about 30 minutes all together and left it to dry overnight.

The next day I assembled the rods into the holes in the 1x2x6's. I used some of my daughters Elmer's School Glue (I went hi-tech here). I just put a little in the holes and put the rods in and gave them a lite tap with a rubber mallet and presto, they were in. I used only enough glue to get the job done so I wouldn't have any squeeze out, otherwise I would have to go get a damp paper towel to clean it up (more work than I wanted to do). I did a quick sight down the length to get them in line and then set them side by side to line them up in pairs to they were all even and let them sit for a couple of hours to dry.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:56 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,219 Posts
Step 4

Ok ... the raw stained wood still looked a little off, Hmmm - Idea..... I had half a can of Krylon clear satin finish floating around here some were... Ah... I found it. I used about Ό of a can to do both racks so now it gave them some depth and it looks natural and not flat.

Now all thats left is to add them to the wall. Not bad for $15.89 and about 1.5 hours of actual labor.

Now here's a lazy mans project for you. My goal was to do something cheap and fast. I think I did just what I set out to do and then some. If you decide to make them, you can do as I did or go all out and make a nice pair for yourself. I am more than happy with how they turned out for the time and money spent on the job and I am sure you will be happy with it if you decide on making a set or two for yourself.

BTW - Just to give you some scale, thats a 4 meter on top.

Thanks for looking.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MicroRotors; Jan 12, 2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:59 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,219 Posts
Now if you are Lazier Than I ....

PM me and I will make you some. If you are local, I might deliver them to save you on shipping. The dimensions can be what ever you need.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2007, 05:32 PM
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Jan 2004
53 Posts
Plane Rack.

I like it a lot. I will make a couple for my plane room. Thanks for posting.

dick
dwreel is offline Find More Posts by dwreel
Old Jan 12, 2007, 06:33 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,219 Posts
You are welcome Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2007, 01:19 PM
San Mateo
Joined Aug 2004
454 Posts
Sweet racks. Much nicer than using pvc pipe! So how much for a pair?
Brian
bcc1955 is offline Find More Posts by bcc1955
Old Jan 15, 2007, 02:28 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,219 Posts
Cost

Hi Brian,

Well It depends on what you want (length amount of pegs etc). It will cost more if I send you a complete finished set due to shipping size and labor. Also it would depend on if you wanted me to stain it or not. The cheapest way for you would be to ship you a kit. One kit could be to were you stain and glue or just glue pre stained pieces. The kits also come with the screws to hang it.

If you chose the kit option, the shipping will be a lot cheaper.

Tell me what you want and I will give you a price. I all ready have 7 to make today of various sizes and configurations, so whats one more.

To bad you don't live closer, I could just deliver you a complete finished set.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MicroRotors; Jan 15, 2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 05:38 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
There's still nothing better than a good ol' basement build room. Lots of pipes and beams to attach the hangers to. Only drawback is that you're constantly dusting the planes, after every build, since they're in the build room

Do a few Guillows kit bash electric conversions, and you'll have enough control line string for a lifetime of hanging planes.

You outta see this room now. The panoramically attached pics are outdated. There are about twice as many planes hanging in the same space.

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:05 PM
San Mateo
Joined Aug 2004
454 Posts
I would prefer a fairly finished version in which I would glue the pegs. I need to think about the dimensions I need. You might want to work out some kind of simple yet flexible pricing guideline like x amount of dollars per pair of pegs unfinished versus finished. How about a sample price on what you show in the picture both stained and unstained. Also I would like an idea of how much shipping is for odd shaped items like these.

Have you thought about make a hinged version that could collapse for shipping or storage?

Cheers,
Brian
bcc1955 is offline Find More Posts by bcc1955
Last edited by bcc1955; Jan 15, 2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:41 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRotors
Hello To All and Happy 07;

Well I moved From Oxnard, Ca. to Alta Loma / Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. at the end of 2006 and in doing so I had to down size my fleet of aircraft.
Those are certainly nice looking racks, and not expensive. Most folks lurking around here appreciate wood projects.

The only drawback is that the shelves can't be moved up and down to accomodate larger (or smaller) items.

If you drilled a line of holes, you could add a degree of flexibility.

I did about the same thing, except I used standard "track" type storage shelf hardware, similar to this.

(I cited the Rubbermaid link 'cuz it was an easy example to find. I actually use the El Cheapo plain steel jobbies from The BORG.)

The 'trick' to avoiding holes in the wall was to mount the tracks on 2"x4" uprights, and to add a 'foot' to the bottom of the uprights so the thing wouldn't topple over.

I wrote an article a few years back for RC Report, and still have it archived somewhere around here.

My point is that if fixed shelf spacing is sufficient, by all means do it that way, but if you are an 'average' modeler, you have all sorts of stuff that won't fit in fixed shelving and you will need to change that spacing.

The track type shelving hardware is more expensive (particularly if you go for the 'decorator styles' instead of the plain vanilla stuff) because you need the standards and brackets, and maybe some tubular foam insulation to protect models, and so on. The major upside is the flexibility to change the spacing between shelves at will without re-drilling; changing shelf spacing takes every bit of 30 seconds or so.

The other advantage to the track type steel shelving hardware is that it will take a considerably heavier load than can be accomodated by dowel stock. I tested my first track shelf rig with something like 35 pounds, and it didn't budge at all. I've moved that rack about a dozen times in the decades since I built it, and the only things which have broken have been a couple of mounting screws - I think the hardware is almost indestructible unless you use it to mount anvils and the like.

The downsides to my lash-up are a bit more cost, and it's far more utilitarian in appearance than nicely done woodwork.
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber
Last edited by the-plumber; Jan 15, 2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:24 PM
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Jan 2004
53 Posts
built my first rack

This is my first rack. I'll have to make some changes tho. The wing dowels need to be closer and the fuselage dowels are too close together. But I didn't expect it to be perfect the first go-round.
dwreel is offline Find More Posts by dwreel
Old Jan 16, 2007, 03:11 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc1955
Have you thought about make a hinged version that could collapse for shipping or storage?

Cheers,
Brian
I had already talked with another guy ordering 2 sets. I told him I would just make them so they were split in half (1 - 6ft set. would be 4 - 3' pcs. instead of 2 - 6' pcs) so since he ordered 2 sets he is getting 8 – 3' pcs.

I will come up with a pricing list and post it here. Thank you for your input Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-plumber
Those are certainly nice looking racks, and not expensive. Most folks lurking around here appreciate wood projects.

The only drawback is that the shelves can't be moved up and down to accomodate larger (or smaller) items.

If you drilled a line of holes, you could add a degree of flexibility.
Yes, that is the drawback, but I didn't want it to look like it was swiss cheese, after all they are in my bedroom. I I did not .. expect that others would want me to make them one also.

Quote:
I did about the same thing, except I used standard "track" type storage shelf hardware, similar to this.

(I cited the Rubbermaid link 'cuz it was an easy example to find. I actually use the El Cheapo plain steel jobbies from The BORG.)

The 'trick' to avoiding holes in the wall was to mount the tracks on 2"x4" uprights, and to add a 'foot' to the bottom of the uprights so the thing wouldn't topple over.

I wrote an article a few years back for RC Report, and still have it archived somewhere around here.

My point is that if fixed shelf spacing is sufficient, by all means do it that way, but if you are an 'average' modeler, you have all sorts of stuff that won't fit in fixed shelving and you will need to change that spacing.

The track type shelving hardware is more expensive (particularly if you go for the 'decorator styles' instead of the plain vanilla stuff) because you need the standards and brackets, and maybe some tubular foam insulation to protect models, and so on. The major upside is the flexibility to change the spacing between shelves at will without re-drilling; changing shelf spacing takes every bit of 30 seconds or so.

The other advantage to the track type steel shelving hardware is that it will take a considerably heavier load than can be accomodated by dowel stock. I tested my first track shelf rig with something like 35 pounds, and it didn't budge at all. I've moved that rack about a dozen times in the decades since I built it, and the only things which have broken have been a couple of mounting screws - I think the hardware is almost indestructible unless you use it to mount anvils and the like.

The downsides to my lash-up are a bit more cost, and it's far more utilitarian in appearance than nicely done woodwork.

the-plummer.
I looked at the metal ones in a few stores. They were very costly compared to doing it with the wood for the DIYer's. Their strength is far, far greater, than the wood for obvious reasons, but the room needed a warmer and softer look. They were the perfect solution to my problem, plus it had to pass through the wifes approval to be hung in the bedroom. It did, so there it is doing it's job . I was going to use ½ inch dowel, but went to 5/8 inch at the last minute and I think I would have stuck with the ½ inch as I originally intended to do. The difference in strength was not needed, and the money that was spent for the 5/8' was wasted as it holds heavy stuff just fine.

I'll put as many holes and were you want them, but this is what I measured out to be what was needed for me. And another thing I would change is ... that I made my dowels for this one, 12” but the next one I make for me is ... that I would make them with ascending length dowels with the longer ones on the bottom.

The metal ones are GREAT for the garage ... but these are PERFECT for inside the house. The wife thinks it's furniture ... and not plumber's nightmare (no pun intended). If she's into that style, then by all means, use them. Remember ... this is all a way to get them INTO the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwreel
This is my first rack. I'll have to make some changes tho. The wing dowels need to be closer and the fuselage dowels are too close together. But I didn't expect it to be perfect the first go-round.
Hey, those look great!

And to the rest ... I will come up with a price list and post it up here, or simply just PM me.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2007, 09:26 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,219 Posts
Prices

Hello All,

For the ones set of racks you see in my pictures, 9 shelf rack;

9 Shelf - Raw Kit ... $45.00
includes;
2 – 1”x2”x6' Poplar
18 – 5/8 Dowels
6 – Mounting Screws

9 Shelf - Stained Kit / Satin Clear Coat... $65.00
includes;
2 – 1”x2”x6' Poplar
18 – 5/8 Dowels
6 – Mounting Screws

For the custom racks this a works out as $5.00 per set of dowels unstained and $7.20 for the stained set.

As for the shipping, I am shipping them UPS and they fit in 4”x4”x72” boxes. I don't think they will weigh more than 6 - 8 pounds (depending on the wood density - varies). So you can figure out your shipping on their site at www.ups.com. I will charge you only what it cost to ship and I will supply the boxes so there is no handling fees.

I WILL TRUST YOU AT YOUR WORD WHAT THE SHIPPING WILL BE!

I am hoping that us folks on RCG can be a trustworthy community and you will be on the honor system as far as the shipping goes. If you miss calculate and pay more than it cost, the difference will be in the box with your kit. If you see on the box that that you have underpaid, I would hope (but not mandatory) you would send me the difference to my pay-pal account. Now hows that for a shipping policy!

In either case ... it should all come out in the wash.

For those that placed their order before Sunday 1-14-07 . You will be happy to know your order went out today, I sent you all an e-mail but in case you didn't look at your email yet and went to RCG first, you now know there on there way.

Thanks and I know you will be happy!

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MicroRotors; Jan 23, 2007 at 08:45 AM.