HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2002, 02:01 PM
Slightly Off Frequency
Central Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2002
114 Posts
Pico Stick FD Down on power

Hello gang:

My Pico Stick FD seems to be a bit down on power, but I am not sure if this is normal or not, so I thought I would bring it up here.

I am using a completely stock setup, with a 280 mAh 6-cell NiCd battery pack. With a fully charged battery it has adequate power and climbout, but if I land it mid-charge and then re-launch it, it barely has enough power to stay in the air, much less gain any altitude.

I also have to keep the throttle at maximium, or near so, to keep it airborne when I am already in the air. Additionally, if there is even a hint of wind, there is no power to combat it. I realize that this plane is a "no-wind" flyer, but I am talking about when there is no wind for 80% of the time, and then a slight breeze blows through. I have nearly crashed several times because of this

When I hold the plane a "goose" the throttle, it seems to have decent thrust, but in the air...

My only suspicion is the gearbox. It seems to be a bit on the "tight" side. It exibits quite a bit of gear noise when it is running, and if you try to turn the prop by hand (motor not running, of course) it has quite a bit of resistance. As you already know, the motor/gearbox is preassebled at the factory. I looked, and did not see any kind of adjustment.

Any thoughts on this? Outside of this "problem", it is a great flyer!

Oh, FWIW, I have the optional heat sink installed on the motor.

Thanks in advance.
Veedubber is offline Find More Posts by Veedubber
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2002, 02:27 PM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
SWITCH THE PROP DIRECTION!!!

Hey, common error, the GWS logo faces FORWARD!!!!!!!!!

FORWARD!!!!

Gforce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress
Old Sep 20, 2002, 03:07 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
If the prop is not the problem, then I would suggest you try a very simple test to see if the gearbox is binding.

First, unplug the motor from the battery, etc, etc. Then hold the plane and try hand spinning the prop like you were trying to fire up a glow plane. Watch how far the prop spins. If your prop spins 1 to 3 revolutions, all is well. If it spins less than one revolution, better look for the source of the binding.

If it is binding:

1. did you lube the gear? I use a very fine synthetic lubricant. Doesn't take much.
2. did you crash recently? In a crash, the main shaft can get pushed back on the gearset creating binding. The motor stills runs but will not give full power.
3. is the shaft bent? a bent shaft will cause loss of power and vibration. A bent shaft can be straightened by using a flat piece of steel and some gentle tapping with a soft faced hammer.
4. is the motor going out? Since you said you were using a 6 cell pack, it isnt likely but could be the culprit. When my motor started failing, it made a strange noise. I can't describe it well but if it is going out, you can hear a difference in the sound.

Just thoughts off the top of my head. Others may have more (better) advise for you.
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old Sep 20, 2002, 03:25 PM
AeroMicro
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Sep 2001
713 Posts
If you are using the stock prop EP1047, then try EP9070. That will make a major difference.

Perry

AeroMicro
Source of Electric RC Supplies
http://www.aeromicro.com
GoEFlight is offline Find More Posts by GoEFlight
Old Sep 20, 2002, 04:25 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
Re: SWITCH THE PROP DIRECTION!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by GForceStress
Hey, common error, the GWS logo faces FORWARD!!!!!!!!!

FORWARD!!!!

Gforce
Yes, I can attest for that. My Pico Stick S didnt seem to ever have enough speed for take-off. Sure enough, I had the prop on the wrong way. -Patrick
putt_13 is offline Find More Posts by putt_13
Old Sep 20, 2002, 06:50 PM
Slightly Off Frequency
Central Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2002
114 Posts
GREAT Responses, Thanks~!

OK, here's some responses to your suggestions.
(Addressed in the order which they were posted)

1) OK, I'm staring Nose-to-Spinner with my Pico FD. On the left I can read "GWS", and on the right "EP1047". If I understand what I have read here correctly, then the prop is indeed installed correctly.

2) next, spinning the prop. Well, it depends on how hard I flick it. A "normal" spin gets me 1 revolution (sometimes a little less). Spinning it "as hard as I can" gets me 1 1/2 revolutions.
My conclusion? I think its binding. Yours?

3) Lube the gear? Uhhhmm. No, I didn't... Oooops! OK, that's one mistake for me... Where can I get some synthetic lube?

4) Crashes? None. (wow, I think thats a record for me ). The closest thing to a crash that has happened to my FD is a few "nose overs" on landing in not-so-short grass. None hard enough to cause any damage, IMHO.

5) Bent shaft? I don't think so, let me check....Nope, it appears to be straight.

6) Motor going out? I don't think so. I have only had the plane about a month, and only have maybe a dozen flights on it. (and I installed the heatsink to help the motor live longer)

7)EP9070 prop: What type of difference will I see? Best place to get one? (I don't have a LHS )

Thanks again for the help. You E-Zoners are a great bunch.
Veedubber is offline Find More Posts by Veedubber