Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:24 PM
It is a good day to fly..
Savage, MN
Joined Oct 2004
298 Posts
Discussion
9g (sub-micro) Servo Comparisons

Hi All,

I don't know if anyone has done anything like this already, but I am putting together a spreadsheet comparing all of the commonly available servos in the sub-micro size category, or as the title of this post suggests, the 9 gram (.3 oz) weight range. It seems to me that this is one of the most common sizes currently used by electric flyers, so I thought a comparison might be a helpful reference. I have attached a screenshot as my spreadsheet currently exists so everyone can see where I am so far. However, I can use your help in several areas to make it more complete and useful.

One, are there any servos not on the list that you think I should include? Two, are these servos available for a better price somewhere other than the source I have listed? And lastly, what type of grade would you give these servos?

As you can see, I have the last column reserved for a grade, but I have not assigned any yet. I know "grading" is somewhat subjective in the absence of using test equipment, but what I am looking for is an overall letter grade (A through F) for the servos in question. How do you feel about the servos? Would you buy it again? Are there any major flaws or gripes that you have, such as the servo will not return to center? What is the overall "value" of the servo? In other words, do you feel this servo gives good value for the money spent? I think if we keep all of these aspects in mind while "grading" a servo, then we should be able to come up with a guide that all of us can use.

Anxiously awaiting your input...

Jay B.
Treker-1701 is offline Find More Posts by Treker-1701
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:54 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
Jay B.

The servo chart at this site: http://www.hobbylisting.com/html/ser..._frameset.html may be of some help to you. I have used this website on a number of occasions while trying to compare servos.

Whoever maintains this site seems to keep it constantly updated, so it is a dynamic thing. I applaud your effort and I hope this website is of some assistance to you.

Jack Stephens
Jack Stephens is offline Find More Posts by Jack Stephens
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treker-1701
...are there any servos not on the list that you think I should include?
Definitely!

On my latest plane, I used Dymond D47 servos. Wayyy thinner than my old S75 sub micro servos. Stronger too, at 20 ounce/inch of torque. FliesLikeaBeagle gave me a heads up on them for my Formosa, because I was trying to build it extremely light. They weigh 4.7 gms.

Now, I'm not an expert on servos, and have not used very many different brands, so I'm not able to give an in-depth comparison in terms of electronics, mechanics, etc.; But even the neophyte that I am, I was able to notice a precision feel and movement to the servo arms immediately. These are really truly a class act in servos as far as I'm concerned.

Depending on when you buy them, they range from $17.95 - $19.95

I love them so much, I'm thinking of writing a symphony dedicated to them. Four movements... maybe something in a minor chord. I'll have to see...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:42 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,813 Posts
Hey that's cool Jay, I thought of doing the exact same thing. Can you break the weight column in two and seperate the grams and ounces cell so it can be sorted easier on your spreadsheet? I'd also like a copy when you are done compiling your data.

Thanks!

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:43 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,813 Posts
Wow Chuck, they are THAT GOOD?

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2007, 04:22 AM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Definitely!

On my latest plane, I used Dymond D47 servos.

<SNIP>

I love them so much, I'm thinking of writing a symphony dedicated to them. Four movements... maybe something in a minor chord. I'll have to see...

Chuck
Chuck, I spend a LOT of time here on RCGroups and you are the first person that ever made me laugh out loud.
sting35 is offline Find More Posts by sting35
Old Jan 12, 2007, 06:41 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,403 Posts
I've been using the Tower Pro SG-90 in quite a few planes with no failures. Awesome servo for the price.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:45 AM
Savage, MN
Joined Oct 2004
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
Can you break the weight column in two and seperate the grams and ounces cell so it can be sorted easier on your spreadsheet?
Yeah, I can do that.

I was also thinking a little more about my grading system and how to make it better. I think that I need to have at least 2 grade columns. One with an overall score that would represent "Bang for the Buck", and a second with an overall "Quality" score. It just seems to me that while an inexpensive servo, for example the Tower Pro SG-90, may not get the same rating in the "quality" column as say a Hitec HS56HB, it could still get a great "Bang for the Buck" score due to it's low cost. What do you think? Would that be a more useful way to present the information?

Regards,

Jay B.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:54 AM
Savage, MN
Joined Oct 2004
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Definitely!

On my latest plane, I used Dymond D47 servos. Wayyy thinner than my old S75 sub micro servos. Stronger too, at 20 ounce/inch of torque. FliesLikeaBeagle gave me a heads up on them for my Formosa, because I was trying to build it extremely light. They weigh 4.7 gms.

Now, I'm not an expert on servos, and have not used very many different brands, so I'm not able to give an in-depth comparison in terms of electronics, mechanics, etc.; But even the neophyte that I am, I was able to notice a precision feel and movement to the servo arms immediately. These are really truly a class act in servos as far as I'm concerned.

Depending on when you buy them, they range from $17.95 - $19.95

Chuck
I didn't include any servos in the 5g weight range in my original version of the spreadsheet as I was trying to stay closer to the 9g size for this first round. I know that there is quite a bit of variation in this class of servo with regards to weight and torque, etc. It looks like the Dymond D47 is way lower in weight than most of the other servos in this class, but way higher in torque. Maybe I'll just make a new page on my spreadsheet for the 5g servos and include the D47 there.

BTW, I would love to hear your symphony when you get it done. I even had an idea for what you could call your four movements; pitch, roll, yaw, and thrust... What do you think?

Regards,

Jay B.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:41 AM
Savage, MN
Joined Oct 2004
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stephens
Jay B.

The servo chart at this site: http://www.hobbylisting.com/html/ser..._frameset.html may be of some help to you. I have used this website on a number of occasions while trying to compare servos.
<snip>
Jack Stephens
Thanks Jack. This info will be helpful.

Regards,

Jay B.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 04:38 PM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treker-1701
BTW, I would love to hear your symphony when you get it done. I even had an idea for what you could call your four movements; pitch, roll, yaw, and thrust... What do you think?

Regards,

Jay B.
Dang, Jay! Two in two days.

BTW, where are you getting your prices from? For example, I have a lot of HS-55's but I've never paid more than ~10 buck for them. I just wait until someone has them one sale (pretty much all the time) and then stock up.
sting35 is offline Find More Posts by sting35
Old Jan 12, 2007, 05:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,813 Posts
And I wouldn't reference ebay as a source for anything.

How's the project going? When are we going to start rating them?

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2007, 05:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting35
BTW, where are you getting your prices from? For example, I have a lot of HS-55's but I've never paid more than ~10 buck for them. I just wait until someone has them one sale (pretty much all the time) and then stock up.

Right, like here:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/759255.asp

I'm looking forward to knowing what's better than the 55's. That's all I use except for the two blue birds in my SuperFly.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2007, 06:23 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Might be nice to know if replacment parts (Gear sets) can be bought a lot of the lower cost ones look at the servo as a disposable non repairable item..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:06 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Oct 2004
728 Posts
I just dropped a set of Futaba S3114 servos (0.27 oz, 20.8 in-oz/0.1 s @ 4.8 V) in a plane and I'm dying to try them out--the nice thing is, they seem really tight, whereas the E-flite servos they replaced were loosy-goosy from the get go.

Of course, here in Colorado, where every Friday is snowstorm day, I may not get to try them until 4th of July weekend.
Lon Enloe is offline Find More Posts by Lon Enloe