SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:09 PM
Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
30 Posts
Discussion
Piper J-2 Cub vs. Piper J-3 Cub

Ok, I am curious as to what the differences were between the J-2 Cub and the J-3 Cub? I know the engine was one, but what were any of the others, someone help me out here?
Inverted Schizo is offline Find More Posts by Inverted Schizo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2007, 06:26 AM
Durham, NC
Joined Jul 2002
284 Posts
J-2 vs J-3

pettit is offline Find More Posts by pettit
Last edited by pettit; Jan 12, 2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:30 AM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
Unnecessary Sarcasm I would say...
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:42 AM
Durham, NC
Joined Jul 2002
284 Posts
J2 vs J3

Last edited by pettit; Jan 12, 2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 09:36 AM
Joined Nov 2006
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettit
Possibly, but it may be a valuable learning experience at the same time.

If someone has the time to ask a question, maybe they could take a little more time to learn how to answer it themselves.

DP
Deleted as it was just kinda mean, Well truthful but mean

The guy asked a question that could easily be answered by experts, (Something you may or may not be) that read and post on this forum. I think it was a valid question and one that many may never have asked yet desired to know.

You are the kid that did your school work with your arms wrapped tightly around your desk so none of the other kids might "steal" your work. Then wondered why you just never had any friends

I always wondered when the "clipped" wing cub was actually born and who did the first full scale version?

Oh I guess I should go google that too
sp2pilot is offline Find More Posts by sp2pilot
Last edited by sp2pilot; Jan 12, 2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:52 AM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,593 Posts
1953, and it was a gentleman named REED, who holds the STC. Essentially, he cut the wing back to the same dimensions as the Vagabond. Really neat plane to fly, on 85 hp.

The J-2 and J-3 are identcal airframes. It was the E-2 that was a parasol, from the factory. The key difference to the J-2 was it was constructed from 1020 steel, as opposed to the J-3 being built of 4130 chrome moly. This is why you are restricted to 65hp max, in a J-2.

And, you didn't have to "Google" it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2pilot
Well are you not a pompuos twit?

The guy asked a question that could easily be answered by experts, (Something you may or may not be) that read and post on this forum. I think it was a valid question and one that many may never have asked yet desired to know.

You are the kid that did your school work with your arms wrapped tightly around your desk so none of the other kids might "steal" your work. Then wondered why you just never had any friends

I always wondered when the "clipped" wing cub was actually born and who did the first full scale version?

Oh I guess I should go google that too
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:33 PM
Durham, NC
Joined Jul 2002
284 Posts
J2 vs J3

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es.../piper/GA6.htm

I stand corrected. This link should clarify things a bit.

DP
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:56 PM
Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
30 Posts
Thanks Challenger. I had done a search on the Cub on Google and the most I could find was that the J-2 originally had an A-40 engine which made it considerably underpowerd. There was also a review by a pilot comparing the J-2 to the Super Cub which he spoke of the lack of safe power. I didn't see anything where I was searching about the airframe construction and every thing else was very vague regarding the differences between the 2 & 3 models. I was hoping to find if there was maybe and airfoil change, change in size of control surfaces, etc. That is why I asked hoping that someone who was familiar with the Cubs could shed some light. Guess I learned a little more about the Cubs also and when the clipped wing version began its experimental stages. Thanks again!
Inverted Schizo is offline Find More Posts by Inverted Schizo
Old Jan 14, 2007, 05:59 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
[QUOTE=challenger_i]
"The J-2 and J-3 are identcal airframes. It was the E-2 that was a parasol, from the factory. The key difference to the J-2 was it was constructed from 1020 steel, as opposed to the J-3 being built of 4130 chrome moly. This is why you are restricted to 65hp max, in a J-2."

I don't think that any of the original Piper high-wing planes used 4130 tubing. Most of the aftermarket frame-builders are using it now for their replica and replacement airframes, though. The new 4130 Super Cub frames are said to be a lot stronger than the original Piper airframes.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Jan 16, 2007, 03:32 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,593 Posts
I'll have to dig for references (Paul Matt is a good one), but everything from the 1939 J-3 to the PA-22/108 Colt (the last hi-wing Piper, not counting the PA-18 Super Cub) was constructed from 4130. The newly manufactured PA-12, and PA-18 airframes are stronger than the originals due to the use of larger, thicker-wall tubing. The new frames are being built specifically for the "modern" 150-180hp engines, and "bush" use.

All of the J series, and the rag & tube PA series, used the USA 35B airfoil.
The vertical tail on the J-2, and early J-3's, was of a different planform, and did not have the aerodynamic balance.

[QUOTE=AmpAce]
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger_i
"The J-2 and J-3 are identcal airframes. It was the E-2 that was a parasol, from the factory. The key difference to the J-2 was it was constructed from 1020 steel, as opposed to the J-3 being built of 4130 chrome moly. This is why you are restricted to 65hp max, in a J-2."

I don't think that any of the original Piper high-wing planes used 4130 tubing. Most of the aftermarket frame-builders are using it now for their replica and replacement airframes, though. The new 4130 Super Cub frames are said to be a lot stronger than the original Piper airframes.

AmpAce
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i