HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2002, 11:41 PM
NJ
Joined Sep 2002
12 Posts
ADVERSE: Vertical Takeoff Plane (pictures and videos)

I put up pictures, info, and videos of my vertical takeoff electric plane at http://www.lecun.org/hobby/adverse.html

It is called the ADVERSE (Avion a Decollage Vertical et Retour au Sol Erratique).
50cm wingspan circular wing, Astro 010
brushless motor with 4.17:1 home-made gearbox,
12x80 GWS prop, 290g total mass, carbon/depron construction.

The motor is steerable (coupled with the elevator)
which allows the ADVERSE to turn on a dime.

more pictures of the steerable motor are available at:
http://www.lecun.org/gallery/libhob/...rop/index.html

Yann is offline Find More Posts by Yann
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2002, 12:30 AM
Portland, Maine
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
codec

You should post the proper codec for the video files so more people can view them. Some people cannot view mpeg2 unless then have a codec for Media player.

Mine worked on most of them, but I think my other codecs caused some trouble. (DiVx)
IncredibleITGuy is offline Find More Posts by IncredibleITGuy
Old Sep 20, 2002, 01:44 AM
NJ
Joined Sep 2002
12 Posts
codec

hmmm, did you have any problem with the MPEG1 files too? The videos play fine on my Linux machines using xine and mplayer.

I know that the stock MS mediaplayer on WinXP plays the videos just fine, but I haven't tested older versions of mediaplayer.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 02:00 AM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Jul 2001
213 Posts
My winxp player isn't finding the codec either.
ETrain is offline Find More Posts by ETrain
Old Sep 20, 2002, 02:00 PM
Northside Naptown
Joined Apr 2002
196 Posts
Drenalyn

Looks like a pretty blatant rip of the Drenalyn . I hope you give credit where credit is due.
Dave B is offline Find More Posts by Dave B
Old Sep 20, 2002, 02:24 PM
-plancks only-
The Netherlands, UT, Benschop
Joined Oct 2001
1,082 Posts
Salut yann,

nice concept, nice video's, nice plane !

critical note to fellow flyer: Never seen a "drenalyn" take off like this and have a vectored engine...("pun" where "pun" is due.)

Franck
Franck is online now Find More Posts by Franck
Last edited by Franck; Sep 20, 2002 at 02:36 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 02:32 PM
Professional Dork
Winchester, Kentucky
Joined Jul 2000
435 Posts
Jeez guys, lighten up. The files played fine on my XP media player. Maybe some of you just need to update things once in awhile. As for a plane being "a blatant rip", aren't ALL planes of a certain style similar to another? Don't ALL deltas look about the same? Don't ALL 3D planes look about the same? Don't ALL flying wings look about the same? Couldn't you say the Drenalyn is a foamie rip of an IFO? Anyway, my point is someone went to a LOT of trouble to post this information and share it with us, and all I see are gripes and criticism!

Randy
Randy S is offline Find More Posts by Randy S
Old Sep 20, 2002, 06:45 PM
NJ
Joined Sep 2002
12 Posts
Hi Trig:

> Looks like a pretty blatant rip of the Drenalyn .
> I hope you give credit where credit is due.

As a matter of fact, I do! I have a "Drenalyn" page with links to the Drenalyn home site at: http://www.lecun.org/hobby/pacman.html There are a few more drenalyn-inspired designs on that page.

That said, I want to clarify a few points:

- as Franck says, I have never seen a tail-standing, vertical takeoff, thrust vectoring thing like the ADVERSE, but I would not be surprised if someone else had built something similar to this. I make no claim of precedence!

- Certainly, like any other low-aspect ratio depron wing, the wing of the ADVERSE is somewhat similar to that of the Drenalyn (though a bit shorter, with larger control surfaces, and less camber), but the construction, power system, control system, etc are quite a bit different.

- The general concept of a circular foam wing model has been around for a very long time. The first time I ever saw one was in the early 70's at the annual Air Show of the "cercle des Cigogne" in Bretigny (south of Paris) (probably one of the the best model airplane shows in the world at the time). I can't remember the name of the designer, but he was quite famous in French modeling circles for coming with crazy designs and make them fly (like a flying carpet, a flying hangar......). I have to believe that the circular wing model concept was probably inspired by the "flying pancake" prototypes built for the US military in 1940's. That work proved that low aspect ratio wings could have a very wide range if flying speeds and angle of attack. The Drenalyn is an excellent modern instance of that concept. The ADVERSE is another variation on the same theme (with the added ideas of vertical take-off, thrust vectoring, >1 thrust/weight ratios, geared brushless motor, all carbon stiff structure,...). You could say that the IFO is in the same category (another really cool design).

- I have been building flying pancakes like this since the mid 70's (originally with gas engines and thick styrofoam wings) My first electric version was built in 1997. It was a 70cm wingspan circular wing cut from blue foam board, and powered with a geared speed 400. I think that the Drenalyn design from the Aero Model Club Creusotin appeared around early 1999, and it was a *GREAT* design concept. I had built light-weight, depron-based pancakes before, but I was quite impressed with the Drenalyn design.

When ideas are "in the air" (so to speak!), they often pop up in different forms in different places at about the same time. The point of this forum (and the point of my web site) is to promote free and friendly exchange of information, not establish precedence. However, as a professional scientist, I agree wholeheartedly that proper credit should be given where credit is due.
So, here you go
Old Oct 21, 2004, 01:11 AM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts
This is pretty cool... Are there any other craft that utilize a stearable motor.
SoMoney is offline Find More Posts by SoMoney
Old Oct 22, 2004, 06:58 PM
NJ
Joined Sep 2002
12 Posts
I believe some European pilots of indoor 3D aerobatic planes are starting to use steerable motors. They use it for yaw, not pitch, because that's the axis for which the control surface (rudder) is least effective.

-- Yann