HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2003, 01:58 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,826 Posts
4 motor hook-up

Mike,

One of the things I'm considering is hooking the inboard motor on one side in series with the outboard motor on the other side. Then using two ESC's and some mixing to get differential thrust. I'm considering using this on a Martin Mars in the same size range as the B-29. The differential thrust will come in handy for water taxiing.

-Jim
Jim Young is online now Find More Posts by Jim Young
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2003, 11:57 PM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Differential thrust? Brother James, I wasn't *even* going to go there!

Wouldn't a small water rudder slaved off the "air rudder" get the job done? Seems to work well enough on full-sized flying boats and many float planes, as well.

But, if you come up with a workable variable pitch prop that can *reverse*," you'll REALLY have my undivided attention!!

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL

----------------------------
I crash, therefore, I FLY!
There is no one true way.
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike
Old Oct 07, 2003, 07:51 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,826 Posts
Mike,

Variable pitch prop no, but I have a friend who has made his own ESC's. He can easily make one up that would reverse the props. I was looking into this for a C-130. The plan was to be able to do a short field landing and backup the plane like Fat Albert!

-Jim
Old Oct 07, 2003, 09:35 AM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Isn't it interesting how often the solution to a complex problem is often so simple that it *should* have been obvious? (Not to say that the implimentation wouldn't be a little complicated.) In this case, it's like that "old joke" that should have been easy to see comming, but somehow manages to catch you off-guard and send you to the floor, laughing!

If your friend should build that ESC, I'd loved to see it work.

In the mean time, I'm busy searching the Internet, looking for a B-29 to base the model on. I want to avoid the "chrome-plated, plastic model" look.

Anyone have any ideas on how they intend to finish theirs?

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL

Old Oct 07, 2003, 09:47 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
YEa, I would be interested in a reversing ESC for a C130ish plane also. I was going to go with a Rube Goldburg sort of servo operated DPDT toggle. MUST remember to ensure the props are stopped before throwing the switch
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Oct 07, 2003, 01:52 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,826 Posts
Come and get it!

Ok, I have the parts in hand, and I think they look pretty good. But don't take my word for it, see for yourself.

The nose piece is on the thin side and is quite flexible. I think that is to be expected for such a deep draw. The window detail is very good and it gives you a good guide for applying the trim.

The nacelles are very sturdy and should hold up well. The parts measure up to what I expeced and I will trim a set up and fit them to my B-29 tonight.

As of today, I have orders for 12 sets of parts. I plan to keep at least 1 set for myself, so there are 12 more sets up for grabs. I still need Darrin's complete address. I will inform everyone who has ordered individually to confirm the shipping price.

-Jim
Old Oct 07, 2003, 09:17 PM
USA, NY, Chestnut Ridge
Joined Jun 2000
1,694 Posts
I'll take a set please.

-Ben
Ben Diss is offline Find More Posts by Ben Diss
Old Oct 07, 2003, 11:57 PM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Looooking gooooood!

Can't wait to see them!

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL

Old Oct 08, 2003, 04:56 AM
detroit
Joined Jan 2002
110 Posts
cutting foam

hello jim

thanks for stopping by
i added more points as you sugested
white foam cant gety it at home depot any more
had to go to lowels
foam has a rubber and plastic backing now and is $13.75
some thing like that
i cut a part out of that block of foam i showed you
that came out really nice
but i only have enough foam for about 5 planes
need to get addres of foam company in Adrean??
just have it ups ?
or if some one goes out there and gets it
i will cut one fore them?
got some blue foam too

dennis
vulkinite is offline Find More Posts by vulkinite
Old Oct 08, 2003, 07:50 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,826 Posts
Hi All,

I test fit one of the nose pieces to my B-29 last night and it fits fine. The lexan is thin, but I believe it will be very durable on the front of the B-29. You can squeeze it and kink it, but it doesn't take a set or get creased easily. The guy who pulled these parts makes car bodies for the R/C car guys, so these should be pretty tough.

I have the orders as of yesterday boxed up and they will be shipped during my lunch hour today. I'll come back with the final shipping cost later today. The boxes that I have are 4"x6" so the nose piece is kind of cramped in there but it should be okay. Please let me know if any of the parts are damaged, and I'll find a better way to ship them. I had these boxes left over from when I was offering wing cores for my MicroSport plans.

I had a chance over the weekend to visit Vulkinite's shop. Dennis has a CNC foam cutter and I have given him a set of plans for the B-29. He is coming up to speed and needs to tweak some things, but he should be able to offer the fuse and wing cores shortly for a reasonable price. Please contact him directly, as it's enough for me to handle the vacuum formed pieces right now. He has some surplus foam from a boat dock or something. It looks kind of rough from the outside, but it looks like good quality white foam on the inside (1lb. to 1.5lb). I'll try to check out his latest work, and let you know what I think. If any one has a good source in Michigan for white foam, please pass it along.

For new, order, please send a PM with your mailing address and I'll get them out. 10 sets left.

-Jim
Old Oct 08, 2003, 12:09 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,826 Posts
Parts have been shipped

To those that ordered parts and plans, they were shipped today at lunch time. I have sent you all a PM with your final totals. In general, mailing one set cost $3.00, 2 sets cost $4, and 3 sets cost $7. I have a PayPal account and can accept payment (not credit cards) that way.

Unfortunately, the parts will not fit in the same box as the plans, so they need to be shipped separately, and I'm out of those boxes. I'll have more in a few days and ship the plans ASAP.

I received the parts with no up front money, but I would like to pay off my supplier as soon as possible, so your prompt payment is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jim
Last edited by Jim Young; Oct 09, 2003 at 07:47 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2003, 01:46 PM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Will do! And *THANKS*!

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL

Old Oct 09, 2003, 03:14 AM
detroit
Joined Jan 2002
110 Posts
b29 foam cut

joe

here is what i have come up with for center of fuslage
i found that if the vee cut is deeper then the sides
can bee moved around so they are flush

added more cot points too

i have a cut a fuslage enter section just like your
plans show out of that foam that the neabor was going to use for a dock

it came out real smooth
so if i can get some 3 inch thick foam
it cuts a lot nicer than building material

really need to know were toget some good foam
vulkinite is offline Find More Posts by vulkinite
Old Oct 09, 2003, 07:53 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,826 Posts
Dennis amazed me with his CNC foam cutter last weekend. You can see from his picture what he can do. Since 6" thick foam is hard to come by, he has broken the tube section into three pieces and keyed them together. This technique uses less foam and each piece can be cut from a 2" thick piece. Then you just have to glue the three pieces together before sheeting it.

-Jim
Old Oct 09, 2003, 12:30 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Jim
PM sent. Hopefully Dennis finds a source for the foam, I'm really looking forward to flying Enola Gay.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd