HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:56 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Where's that clear canopy section?? I'm going to look into getting the plug I have pulled. My vacuum form is not up to it but I can get it made.

I pulled a plug from the one that came with the Kit and it needs more detail then they had.

If anyone can get this done I'll send you the plug.

With two 90 mm EDF projects I don't have the time for it right now. But I sure would like to have one for my bird.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2003, 08:58 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
Vacuum Formed Parts

Hi All,

Sorry to keep you waiting, but I just got through to the guy with the parts and we straightened out a small shipping problem. As of yesterday, 25 sets of clear lexan, vacuum formed parts are on the way to me. I should have them sometime next week. I have shipping boxes ready, and will be able to start sending them out as soon as I receive them. The parts fit the Titanic B-29 as well as my plans built B-29. I'll post a picture as soon as I can, so you can see what you are getting. As I said, the parts are clear lexan (even the nacelles). This should make them a little more durable than the ABS plastic.

I will offer one complete set (one nose and 4 nacelles) for US$30.00 + Shipping. I plan to send them USPS First Class, so it should cost less than $5.00 to ship them. If you are interested in a set. Please send a PM to me with your mailing address, and the number of sets you want. When I ship them out, I'll send you my address and the shipping costs. I'd rather not break up sets, and this is on a first come, first serve basis. When the 25 sets are gone, I'll see if there is enough interest to pulling more.

I am offering the plans for US$20.00 including shipping. If you are interested in a set, send a PM with your address. If the parts fit in the mailing tube I use for the plans, I'll offer a special for both. Stay tuned....

Thanks for your patients,

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Oct 02, 2003, 09:07 PM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
Would someone like CNC Foam Factory be able to produce a set of wings and fuselage from your plans Jim ?

Nick
FAA is offline Find More Posts by FAA
Old Oct 02, 2003, 10:02 PM
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined May 2001
94 Posts
Plans & Plastic

Hi Jim,

I am interested in both plans & vacu-formed parts.

what is your PM?

Thanks,

Scott
Scott Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Scott Johnson
Old Oct 03, 2003, 01:47 AM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Hey Jim!

I sent you a PM and said that I'd only be interested in the plans for now, maybe the plastic parts later.

IGNORE that PM!

I'll send another PM. I want both the plans *&* the plastic parts kit!

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL

----------------------------
I crash, therefore, I FLY!
There is no one true way.
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike
Old Oct 03, 2003, 05:56 AM
United States, TX, Burleson
Joined Oct 2002
41 Posts
Good foam source

I have nothing but good things to say about "foambymail.com". I get 3" 48X24X3 (4sheets) for $52.00 shipped. They pack it right and replace anything that UPS damages. Check out their web page.
Regards,
Rob

PS: I have used the regular white poly styrene foams only and it cuts perfectly. I have no reason to believe the other products would not be just as excellent. Oh yes, real humans answer the phone!!
rhomco is online now Find More Posts by rhomco
Last edited by rhomco; Oct 03, 2003 at 05:34 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2003, 08:42 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
B-29 Parts

Hi All,

PM = Personal Message, click the little PM button below one of MY posts.

As far as any of the foam cutter places, I'd be more than happy to work with any of them. I talked to Flying Foam a while back and one guy has had a kit cut by them for ~$100. I have hooked up with a guy local to me who has a home built CNC foam cutter and he thinks he can cut a kit for much less than that. He has the plans, and I plan to meet with him this weekend to check out his setup. He has cut 3 trials of the main fuse tube. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the parts.

Mike - I'll get you both the plans and the parts.

-Jim
Old Oct 03, 2003, 10:17 AM
central illinois
Joined Aug 2002
800 Posts
rhomco: good site. is it the polyfoam you use ? how is it with a hot ire cutter ?
newcomer is offline Find More Posts by newcomer
Old Oct 03, 2003, 11:37 AM
Joined Nov 2001
308 Posts
I may be able to cut the cores. What airfoil?
chiozza is offline Find More Posts by chiozza
Old Oct 03, 2003, 12:17 PM
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2002
65 Posts
Hi Jim

I also would like to know what airfoil you selected for the root and tip and the amount of washout if any. I'm gathering info for a B-24 winter project.

Regards
Mike Kucera
MikeKucera is offline Find More Posts by MikeKucera
Old Oct 03, 2003, 03:19 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
Foam cutting

All of the airfoil templates are on the plans (I use Comp-u-Foil). I used the ever popular Clark-Y with no washout. I've seen no tip stall tendencies with my B-29.

-Jim
Old Oct 04, 2003, 01:13 AM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Thanks, Jim!

I'll be waiting to hear from you about making payment, etc.

Since you are fielding questions. . . Is it true that the venerable Clark Y airfoil can be used on almost *all* of our small (less than Giant scale) electric warbirds? (Well, WWII models, anyway.)

If it is so, it would sure make my life easier when I start trying to convert 3 view drawings for my own projects.

But what airfoil would be best for WWI models the same general size? (I now have a registered copy of Profili.)

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL

Old Oct 04, 2003, 05:53 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Now this is getting interesting. I'm all up for a kit.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Oct 06, 2003, 10:27 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
Airfoils

The true Clark-Y is very useful, even for large scale models. I believe Keith Shaw uses it on his 80" span DH-88 Comet as well as some of his other large creations. The main drawbacks of the Clark-Y are it is kind of draggy and inverted performance is not great. Other than that it generates lots of lift. I don't pretend to be an expert on airfoil selection, most of the time I ask Keith for suggestions. It's nice that he writes for the E-zone now so you can now ask him directly.

-Jim
Old Oct 06, 2003, 02:44 PM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Thanks for the info! Actually, Mr. Shaw is one of my favorite resources. I've asked him a few questions in the past, via email, and gotten good answers from him. I've then found some of those questions re-printed in his newsletter, along with the answer.

One I will send him, sooner or later, is for a discussion on the various ways to hook up a four motor bird. All series, all parallel, or one that I'm most curious about, putting the two inboard motors in series on one circut, the two outboard motors in series, on another circut, then put those two circuts together, in parallel. I'm not sure, but I think going with the 4.8v version of the speed 400 might work out well, this way.

Can't wait to see those plans & parts! (But, I will.)

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL