HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2003, 01:27 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Maybe, some day drksyd. Right now I have my hands full with the F-104.

Jim,

I don't need the plans as you can see a few posts back. Got the plane. However I am interested in the parts. I'm sick of that painted window look and my vac won't pull this deep plug.

Thanks Jim, count me in on the parts. BTW, great job on yours from scratch, outstanding!

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2003, 08:15 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Young
I have all of the templates cut, but I was wondering if anyone had a source for foam that is 3" thick?
Jim, did you ever have any luck with this search?

Most large drywall suppliers carry prime cured foam in thicknesses up to 4". I buy mine at Interior Supply in Columbus. They carry the DryVit brand, which cuts nicely with a hot wire.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Aug 01, 2003, 07:53 AM
What extra weight???
Dayton, Ohio
Joined Oct 2002
114 Posts
Jim,
Can you give me some details on the props and hubs (i.e. manufacturer and source)? Thanks.
Ray
denfam4 is offline Find More Posts by denfam4
Old Aug 01, 2003, 08:24 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,821 Posts
Jim,

I never found a good local source for thicker foam. The local Home Depot carries 2"x4'x8' white foam and I've just been "tack" laminating it with a thin mist of 3M-77 (old formula). The hot wire doesn't even know it's there. Then I just use white glue to make the layers permanent. I'll check my area for drywall suppliers, and see if I can find that brand.

Ray,

The props I'm using are Graupner 6.5x4 "scale" props. They kind of look like a variable pitch Hamilton Standard. The prop adaptors are just plain Graupner parts. They are not as cool as 4 bladed props, but with a belly lander, they last much longer.
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Aug 01, 2003, 06:53 PM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
603 Posts
Jim,,,, Be sure to put me down for a nose and set of nacelles. I hope I never need spare parts but I want them on hand to build or repair with.

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Old Aug 01, 2003, 10:00 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL
Jim,,,, Be sure to put me down for a nose and set of nacelles. I hope I never need spare parts but I want them on hand to build or repair with.

Randy

Well.........maybe me too!
Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Aug 01, 2003, 10:19 PM
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined May 2001
94 Posts
Plans & vacu-formed parts

Please put me on the list for a set of plans & formed parts.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Scott Johnson
Old Aug 04, 2003, 11:21 PM
College Station, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
432 Posts
B-29

I have been savoring the idea of flying an 80" B-29 for a while! I saw the all electric TU-4 in the TOP GUN 2003 coverage in MAN. I am sold on electric power!!! Guys & Gals how do I get in on this 80" B-29?? I want one....Please advise me as I need to order one...like yesterday!!! thanks..Lastly could someone give me info on a bill of materials and motors etc I need...I have been flying gas powered a while but I am ready to shock everyone with an awesome elecgtric B-29!!! are retracts an option?? anyone done it yet?
nemesis4u is offline Find More Posts by nemesis4u
Old Aug 06, 2003, 01:46 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,821 Posts
I've got the plans for the B-29 and we are working on vacuum formed pieces. There have been retract conversions with this type of plane, but I don't have all of the details on it. Maybe someone will chime in on that subject?

-Jim
Old Aug 06, 2003, 02:07 PM
Buffalo Intl, New York, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Yeah - someone please chime in as retracts would be cool!

--jer
jet_jer is offline Find More Posts by jet_jer
Old Aug 06, 2003, 02:55 PM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
603 Posts
You all may want to stroll over to my B-29 page...

http://www.flyinglindy.homestead.com/B29e.html

When you get there, click on the link at the top and it will take you to a German page where the Titanic kit used to be when it was in production. It is very similar to Jim's plans and can be adapted to and from.
Now that you are on the Tiatnic site and learning German..
click on the light blue link on the right-center part of the page. You will then see modelers and their planes. Many of these have retracts. I did not attempt to contact them as I wanted a lightweight without the retracts. Maybe on my next one...
Have a look and enjoy!!!

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Old Aug 07, 2003, 10:39 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
I am very interested in your plans and parts Jim, please keep me on your list... watching this thread with bated breath!

Thanks for a great effort and the chance to benefit from your work.

graham_mca
graham_mca is offline Find More Posts by graham_mca
Old Sep 27, 2003, 07:37 PM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
Jim

If you are still taking peoples names for your list put me down for plans and parts also.

Thanks

Nick
FAA is offline Find More Posts by FAA
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:40 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,821 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry to keep you all hanging, but I haven't heard from the guy
doing the vacuum forming for a while. The last I heard was he had about 6 set of parts pulled, and was ready to ship them to me, and then nothing. I'll check into it more this week and let you know what I find.

-Jim
Old Sep 30, 2003, 08:39 PM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Jim,

If you are still working on this one, I'd be *very* interested in obtaining a set of plans, with or without the plastic parts. (Preferably with.)

I'm currently working on three projects, one modifying an existing model, and two "new builds." I couldn't possibly begin building the B-29 any time soon, but it is one that I *must* build, sooner or later!

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL

----------------------------
I crash, therefore, I FLY!
There is no one true way.
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike