Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:49 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,777 Posts
Hi Larry,

Since TA is no longer producing this kit, then my plans may be a reasonable alternative. I've been working with Perry, and now Bill Schimpf to see if we can get vacuum formed parts made for this model. The plugs are still being worked on, and I have to modify my plans to increase the diameter of the fuse slightly so it fits the TA nose. The other option is about 5 minutes with a lathe since it is pretty symetrical.

I'm not sure on all the ethics of this, but as far as I know TA never copyrighted their kit/plans. Further, I based my B-29 on measurements of a TA model, but it is not an exact duplicate (the fuse diameter for example). If there is any problem with what I have done I have no problem stopping. The last thing I want to do is tick off anyone in this small hobby world.

-Jim
Jim Young is online now Find More Posts by Jim Young
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:57 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,458 Posts
I'm not sure of the ethics either. But in the industrial world where I work, one company (bigger, deeper pockets) will take another company's (mine, smaller) design, modify just a little and call it their own. This is after we went through the trouble of obtaining a patent.

We don't like it but there is little we can do.

Besides, I would guess Boeing holds the copyright on the B29.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:11 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,777 Posts
Larry,

That sounds familiar, but you don't like those big guys either. I just don't want to come off like an a__hole if I sell a few plans.

I just started this project because TA stopped producing their kits and I wanted a B-29. I spent a lot of time drawing, engineering, and building. I've also drawn a DC-4 and a Tu-95 Bear using similar construction.

-Jim
Old Jul 24, 2003, 07:35 PM
NON PayPal Member
Sacramento Metro, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
373 Posts
B 29 Parts

Hi Jim
The first set of parts are ready and I will
pick them up Saturday afternoon.I will contact you as soon as
I check them out.

Regards, Bill
wildbill95823 is offline Find More Posts by wildbill95823
Old Jul 24, 2003, 10:00 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jet_jer
Jim, what would a set of plans cost me?

--jer
Whatever Jim's asking for them, it's worth it. I have a set and they are " all that"!

Congrats on your maiden Jim.
Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Jul 25, 2003, 06:12 AM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
602 Posts
Jim, You've done great! Sorry to hear about the slight dork but maybe that just gets it out of the way so all your future flights will be flawless.
Mine is still flying beautiful. Had it out this past Sunday and Ross did the first part of the flight as I launched it. I flew a few laps next then handed the radio over to Joe. He has been hounding me to find him a kit ever since he flew it the first time. We keep discussing building up one form your plans and may well do it one day. As long as mine stays up and flying at least we have one at the field to share.
Joe does a lot of glider and slope glider flying as well as glow areobatics so I knew it was in good hands...he did a beautiful landing right on the spot. I like watching it as much as flying it when I get to watch pilots as good as Joe and Ross...makes my stuff look good!
I've sure been wondering about you. glad to hear it flys good!

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Old Jul 25, 2003, 07:03 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,458 Posts
Jim Young,

If you plan on selling your plans I would be interested in a set.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Jul 25, 2003, 08:00 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,777 Posts
Hi All,

It sounds like WildBill has completed the molds and has a set of vacuum formed parts. He's been working with a guy that does lexan R/C car bodies, so the parts will be clear. I'll talk to him more about this and make sure he's willing to supply them.

Once I get a final fuse diameter so the nose fits better, I'll update the plans and be willing to sell them. I have sold a few sets already, and to anyone who already has them, I'd be willing to send you a new set of fuselage templates so you can use Bill's parts. Just the fuse diameter will change, all other measurements will be the same. I've been asking $20.00 for the plans rolled and shipped in the U.S. I've put a lot of effort into them, and think that is a fair price. Stay tuned...

-Jim
Old Jul 25, 2003, 08:11 AM
Buffalo Intl, New York, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
All Right!! Let me know when you can ship - Ill want a set with vacuum parts.
--jer
jet_jer is offline Find More Posts by jet_jer
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:14 AM
Joined Nov 2001
308 Posts
Jim,

How did you cut the round fuse?

Chris
chiozza is offline Find More Posts by chiozza
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:39 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,777 Posts
Chris,

To cut the round fuse pieces, I used my home built hot wire with the following procedure:

1.) Glued up a square blank of foam (see page 2 of this thread) and attached a circular template to each end.
2.) Place the blank over the corner of a table so the ends of the cutting bow hang over the edge.
3.) Start cutting at the top center of the blank, when the wire gets to the templates push it off to one side and let gravity start to work.
4.) When the wire gets near to 90 degrees, move the wire away from the templates and cut the power to the hot wire
5.) Rotate the blank 90 degrees, and start cutting again.

I advise against holding the blank in the air and trying to cut it in one pass. The foam is not that stiff and may bend. Then you'll end up with a banana! Keeping it flat on a table will help keep the fuse straight.

You may end up with a few bumps in the finished tube, but the major work will be done and a few seconds with a sanding block will true it up.

To hollow out the inside:

1.) Push a piece of music wire through the center of the tube. Use this to thread the cutting wire through the foam.
2.) Attach the templates and connect up the cutting wire.
3.) Use gravity to pull the cutting wire through the foam. When the wire hits the templates rotate the tube as necessary. This part you can do in one shot holding it in the air. The inside shape is not that critical.

One thing I've learned in cutting foam is to let gravity do the work if possible. Gravity is much steadier than your hand and will pull both sides of the bow evenly.

I hope this helps.

-Jim
Last edited by Jim Young; Jul 25, 2003 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 03:04 PM
Joined Nov 2001
308 Posts
Wow!! What a great method....
chiozza is offline Find More Posts by chiozza
Old Jul 25, 2003, 06:27 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Jim,

I'd be very interested in the new clear nose.

I pulled a plug from the original but my vacuum form machine doesn't have the strength to pull such a deep plug.

Naccelles sound good too. Still flying mine with no problems.

Thanks Jim,

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Jul 29, 2003, 06:46 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Man, I'd love to get this in a KIT! Steve, got any time to glass this? It won't have to be soon seeing as I have to save some money for your 104.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:53 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,777 Posts
Hi All,

I talked with Bill the other day and the first set of canopies has been pulled and came out great. He's fiting one to his B-29 and I should find out how it fits shortly.

The big question right now is how many people are interested in the plans and/or vacuum formed parts (noses and nacelles)? It is better to have several pulled at once, but it means that there will be a limited number available and I don't know when/if we'll do a second run. Please chime in if you are definately willing to buy a set (plans, nose, both). Bill does not have a price yet, but he's trying to keep it reasonable.

The plans have been updated to a larger fuselage size which should fit the nose better. I have sent it out to every one I know has the plans. If I have missed someone, let me know and I'll email you a PDF file with the new template.

-Jim