HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2003, 07:35 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,775 Posts
Just to keep you up to date...

The B-29 is basically finished. I have to do the insignias and then I'm just waiting for the nose and nacells. I'll post a picture as soon as I get my camera back from my parents (left it there over the holidays ).

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2003, 08:18 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,775 Posts
Latest Pictures...

Here are the latest pictures of the B-29. I'm just waiting on the nose and nacelles. Everything else is ready to go. Current weight is right at 4 lbs., so I'm right on target.

-Jim
Old Jan 09, 2003, 08:19 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,775 Posts
Rear view....
Old Jan 09, 2003, 08:20 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,775 Posts
And the motor mounts....
Old Jan 09, 2003, 08:20 AM
Electriaddict
Melville Saskatchewan Canada
Joined Mar 2001
1,579 Posts
Slick
dorysch1 is offline Find More Posts by dorysch1
Old Jan 09, 2003, 08:26 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,591 Posts
very impressive covering .........gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Jan 09, 2003, 09:56 AM
Southfield, MI
Joined Jan 2002
39 Posts
Wow Jim!

Absolutely beautiful. Is that Chrome Monokote or Flight Metal? Did you find out how much a short kit would be? Will it hover?

Chris
Chris300s is offline Find More Posts by Chris300s
Old Jan 09, 2003, 09:56 AM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Totally impressed!
Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Jan 09, 2003, 10:06 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,775 Posts
Thanks for the kind words.

The covering is chrome Ultracote. It went on pretty easy, you just have to be careful about the temperature. If you get it too hot, the chrome looks like it is "fogged" and looses it's shine. I couldn't get the tail gunner "ball" covered without a lot of heat, so it is not as bright as the rest of the plane. Oh well.

When I get the nose and nacells, I plan to use some "Bare Metal Foil". This is similar to Flight Metal, but I think it's lighter. It's designed to go around curves on small car models to add chrome, so it should work pretty well on the B-29.

I'm going to scuff some of the panels to make it look like separate pieces of aluminum, but I'll wait until it's all together.

I've run up the motors to check out the wiring and four motors humming sounds pretty cool.

How's this for nose art???
Old Jan 09, 2003, 10:12 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,775 Posts
P.S. I did the initial leg work with Flying Foam. They gave me an estimate of ~100.00 for the wing cores, main fuse, and tail cone.
This is just an estimate, and I would still have to give them all of the details. If someone definately wants to buy foam parts, I'll work closer with Flying Foam to produce them. My goal would be for you to just be able to order a "B-29 kit" directly from them. I don't want to be in the kit business.

-Jim
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:56 AM
Flying the Unusual
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
323 Posts
BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I absolutely love your panel-line and rivet detail, and that chrome ultrakote looks awsome - I'm gonna have to pick up some of that - I always figured it would not go on very smoothly, or that the shinyness would dull-out with the heat from the iron.

Great job Jim!!!
kennypinkerton is offline Find More Posts by kennypinkerton
Old Jan 10, 2003, 03:17 PM
What extra weight???
Dayton, Ohio
Joined Oct 2002
114 Posts
Jim,
The art came out GREAT! Good job.
Ray
denfam4 is offline Find More Posts by denfam4
Old Jul 24, 2003, 10:51 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,775 Posts
It Flies!

I got the first 1.5 flaights in on the B-29 last night. WildBill was nice enough to loan me the nose and nacelles from one of his B-29 kits so I could finish off mine.

The first flight was uneventful after doing a thourough range check. The antena had to be run out to the tip of the stab to get all the glitches worked out. Keith Shaw hand launched it and it flew right out of his hands. I did some basic circuits of the field and plopped it down for an ok landing. I ran out of up elevator just before touch down, so it was a little rough.

After flying another plane and recharging the batteries, we launched the B-29 again. Unfortunately, I forgot to change the program back to the B-29! Up was up, but left was right and only one aileron was working. I was able to figure out what happened, but didn't have enough aileron to level it back out. Thank god for tall grass. The nose was smushed but repairable, the battery ejected out the nose and found little to destroy on it's journey, and there is a slight break in the bottom of the fuse. All in all I got away pretty lucky.

I'll post some more pictures as soon as I repair it. I tried using regular trim sheet for the nose and nacelles, but it wouldn't stay down around the compound curves. What I found was some aluminum duct tape at Lowes for ~$13/roll. It had some printing on it, but alcohol took it right off. It burnished down fine and took the rivet detail. The adhesive is specified at 220F, so it should survive on an airplane.

-Jim
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:15 AM
Buffalo Intl, New York, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Jim, what would a set of plans cost me?

--jer
jet_jer is offline Find More Posts by jet_jer
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:35 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,456 Posts
I have a German business associate who has been looking for a TA B29 for some time now. No luck, I sad to say. In his words...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 4:30 AM
To: Dudeck, Larry
Subject: [Fwd: Anfrage Boing B29]

Dear Larry,

the B29 Modell is no longer available. Titanic stopped to produce it, as
the production was too expensive compared to the selling price and in
competition to other model manufacturer.

I can only look around if I see a model shop and ask them if they still
have one.

Kind regards

Rudi
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck