HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:09 AM
georgetown ontario
Joined Jul 2001
389 Posts
Hey jim i just got the controller working today for my cnc foam cutter the rest should be up and running in a couple of weeks was just wondering how much you plans are worth. $100 to cut foam thats crazy my whole cutter is costing me under $100 cdn. and a bottle of scotch (but not the good stuff)

Thanks
Tom

I HATE TREES
Tree_Magnet is offline Find More Posts by Tree_Magnet
Last edited by Tree_Magnet; Oct 22, 2002 at 12:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2002, 06:44 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tree_Magnet
$100 to cut foam thats crazy my whole cutter is costing me under $100 cdn. and a bottle of scotch (but not the good stuff)

Thanks
Tom

I HATE TREES
Any plans for this cutter?? Probably would cost me less as I can't tell the difference between good and bad scotch
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:13 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
I just did the initial leg work, because dorysch1 said he didn't have a foam cutter. I have a home made "feather cut" and published an article in MA a few years back. I would rather do the work myself, but in this age of ARFs, some may want to just buy the cores.

If you're interested in the plan, send me a PM.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:20 AM
Electriaddict
Melville Saskatchewan Canada
Joined Mar 2001
1,579 Posts
I prefer to buy not so much arfs but mostly built kits because I don't really have a ton of liesure time with two jobs I wish I did have the time but if I get time I like to use it flying don't forget a guy pays a hundred dollars for a twinstar not that it's bad but a b-29 looks very nice in the air
dorysch1 is offline Find More Posts by dorysch1
Old Nov 06, 2002, 02:02 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
Latest picture

Here's the latest picture of my progress. Progress has slowed due to everyone in the house being sick but me.

The wing mounts are in place and the wing saddle is cleaned up. The mounting blocks were inserted through one side of the fuse and patched after the glue set up. By keeping the 1/32" reinforcment plates tight to the mounts, they held themselves in place while the epoxy cured.

I've started installing the servos and I have the elevator linkage setup for internal control. I'm going to cover the tail feathers before attaching them to the fuse.

Total weight is 28oz with motors and airframe. Target weight is 64 oz. with an 8x2400 pack for a wing loading of just 16oz/ft^2.

-Jim
Old Nov 06, 2002, 03:48 PM
Throttle,,What's that?
Joined Sep 2002
399 Posts
OK i want just one! Looking good and this type of plane is the reason im learning building and flying to start with.
dirtdiver is offline Find More Posts by dirtdiver
Old Nov 07, 2002, 07:47 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Really looking good Jim!
You've done a awesme job from initial conception , to final product. Just bear with me a bit and I'll have the molds ready for the nacelles and nose.
Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Nov 07, 2002, 08:58 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Can't wait Perry!
Looks better than the kit I built Jim. Great work!
Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Nov 08, 2002, 08:30 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's really fallen together in a short amount of time.

The current snag is one of the aileron servo leads. I was installing the aileron servos Wednesday night and one works fine, but the other.... nothing! I have a home built servo-ciscer and when I connect it to the servo, everything is fine. When it is connected through the lead burried in the wing, nothing. I'm hoping that it is just one of the connector pins that is bad. I'd hate to have to tear the lead out of the wing because it's cut somewhere

The good news is that when I was cutting holes for the aileron servos, the bond I got between the balsa and foam was great. It took some real effort to peal the balsa off of the foam. This vacuum bagging thing works great.

-Jim
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:14 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
Latest pictures

Here is the latest set of pictures...

The tail is covered and I've added panel lines and rivet detail. I just used the back of a #11 blade to scribe the lines and a "dress maker's" wheel to add the rivets. This is less than 1/2 an hour worth of work. The wing is covered and I'm waiting on the LHS to get more chrome Ultracote in to finish the fuse.

-Jim
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:15 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
Detail tools

Here's my rivet tools...
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:16 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
The wing is covered...
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:17 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
Wing mount detail and elevator servo...
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:19 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
P.S. I got a little too agressive cutting out the aileron mounts, and cut through the servo lead. I just had to cut into the wing sheeting about 1/2 inch and solder it back together.

-Jim
Old Nov 22, 2002, 03:18 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Jim,
Your blowing me away! Fantastic work man!
Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812