SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2008, 09:00 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Still in the process of covering. Both Oracover and oralite Chrome can be quite a pain to use. Luckily, the Enola Gay has big patches of 'Corogard' like finishes over the upper wing skins, which I use Coverite Coverlite Aluminium to simulate. That saves me quite a bit of wrinkles.
Joe Yap is offline Find More Posts by Joe Yap
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2009, 08:46 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
I've just finished and flown mine. With a A123 pack inside, the AUW weighs only 60oz. The 4 6x4 master airscrew props have quite a bit of imbalance and make lots of noise. Neverthless, the vibrations are not excessive and I flew with it.

After a firm toss, the model doesn't even dip a bit, but started a shallow but scale like climb right after leaving the hand. With the rudder coupled to the ailerons, turns are very smooth and banks can be kept shallow. It fact the model handles like a powered sailplane.

I flew for 6 mins on average with about 40% capacity left on the 2300mah A123 packs. The next step is to find better props for it. Overall, the model is superb!
Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:47 PM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
603 Posts
That is beautiful! Very nice... The B-29 flys so nice that it makes you look good even when you are a moderate flyer like myself.

I have many years on mine. Starting out with a 7 cell Nicd and later going to an 8 cell Nicd...and now on to A123's.

Mine never fails to be a headliner at the field. Congratulations on yours...

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:12 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,258 Posts
Congratulations on your maiden Joe! Nice job on your B-29.

Have you tried balancing your props? If not, you can get much of the vibration out by balancing them.

-Stuart
SRush99 is online now Find More Posts by SRush99
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:14 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Thanks, Randy. Yours is a beauty too. This model is simply lovely to see and fly.

By the way, are you using the 'Scale' 6.5x4 props on A123? I'm thinking of using that but worried about the current draw.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:58 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99
Congratulations on your maiden Joe! Nice job on your B-29.

Have you tried balancing your props? If not, you can get much of the vibration out by balancing them.

-Stuart
Not yet, but I guess so as well.

However, I also need a set of proper props for electric motors as well. These are engine props.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:07 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
BTW, I was scratching my head for a while until I see the possibility of a Ping Pong ( table tennis ) ball. Just cut it into half, backed the opened side with a piece of balsa, make 2 gun barrels and stick it to the rear end with hot glue. That makes up the tail end business.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 05:01 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Graupner scale-like 6.5"x4" props are still expensive. I switched to APC 6"x4" electric for speed 400 instead. Let's see how they perform.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:55 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,892 Posts
Hi Joe,

Nice job on the B-29, it sounds like it flies as well as mine.

I'm still using the 6.5x4 scale props (haven't broken one in all these years), and the WOT current draw is 40A (10A on each motor). I'm rarely at full throttle and I'm still using an 8 cell Nicad pack.

BTW... THe easiest way to balance a prop for an electric model is to use clear packing tape on the back of the light blade. Put the prop on the balancer, stick the tape on the light blade and trim it off untill it balances.

-Jim
T&J Models
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Mar 27, 2009, 08:37 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Thanks Jim. This is a wonderful design. I only learnt about this model a few years after RCM had gone busted. However, it didn't stop me from ordering the plans from the surviving website.

Anyway, after switching to the APC 6"x4" props, the noise is somewhat reduced, but the efficiency has went up. I didn't measure the current draw but is definitely lesser than the 44amps draw from the gas MA props. I can now cruise at just below half throttle. My longest flight so far is 10 1/2 minutes with power to spare after landing. The A123 pack and ESC are just a warm. During the flights, I even managed to pull a few naughty loops and stall turns.

I feel so much at home flying this model. I fly mostly sailplane these days by the way. Today, I even hand launched the model myself for a couple of times. Whether mode 1 or 2, you'll still need 2 hands to launch it. After pushing the throttle stick forward, I simply took a few steps forward and toss the model straight and level. The model flew like a free flight plane and a still have some time to position my hands back on the transmitter.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:37 PM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
603 Posts
Yes... I still use the 6.5 x 4 props.... I've only broken one over the years. I had a fellow hand launch for me one day and he pretty much dropped it instead of tossing it. My fault for not instructing properly.
The A123 work great!

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:28 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
A fellow modeller took these shots of my B-29 in flight.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:32 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
My friend took a video of me launching it.
Enola gay launching (1 min 10 sec)
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:06 PM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Great!!
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Apr 13, 2009, 02:13 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,889 Posts
Nice pics and vid Joe. I just wish mine would turn into and arf.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd