SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2008, 07:25 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,251 Posts
Gotcha Ted! The tylenol is kicking in now.
SRush99 is online now Find More Posts by SRush99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2008, 08:03 PM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
Plans arrived yesterday! Foam shipped today. Will do a balsa inventory and possibly order the balsa this weekend (if I need any... I already have a TON!)

T
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Old Jun 07, 2008, 12:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
102 Posts
So are plastics available again, because i sure would like to place an order?

Fandango
fandango is offline Find More Posts by fandango
Old Jun 07, 2008, 06:45 AM
TRP
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
As I understand it - Jim is working on it. We should have an update in a week or so.
Old Jun 07, 2008, 11:23 AM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Hello!
Thank you very much for explanations. I'm very beginner.
Can anybody project target AUW for Guillow's B-29 (span 53") which would allow it to land safely with motors powered off, i.e. from free gliding descend?
Thank you,
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Jun 07, 2008, 11:24 AM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Where Jim's plans and plastic parts could be bought?
Thank you,
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Jun 07, 2008, 02:47 PM
TRP
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
You can buy Jim's plans from his website. The plastics are currently not available, but Jim is working on getting the forms for them.

E-mail Jim to get the plans / plastics.
Visit Flying Foam (via their web site form) to order the foam.

Ted
Old Jun 12, 2008, 07:24 PM
TRP
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
The foam cores arrived last night.

I unrolled the plans (they came earlier last week...) - can I say that every photo of the plane I've seen so far does ZERO justice to how BIG this plane is!? This plane is going to look great. Love it.

Quick motor question for you guys who have flown them - what motors are you using? Anyone using mechanical retracts?

T
Old Jun 12, 2008, 07:34 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,251 Posts
Ted,
If you are building a hand launch, or flying off a paved runway, most are using 6V speed 400 brushed. I'm using the Turbo 10's sold by Kirk at New Creations RC because I'm flying off of grass. I haven't seen anyone using mechie retracts - I don't care for them because I've never gotten any to open and close reliably.

-Stuart
Old Jun 14, 2008, 06:03 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,251 Posts
Picture of me and my B29 to give you an idea of the size when finished.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 07:54 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2002
1,230 Posts
Very Nice!
Wade Joos is offline Find More Posts by Wade Joos
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2008, 08:22 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
I bought the plans a few years back from RCM and only started building mine a few months ago, when my friend passed me tonnes of unused speed 400 motors. Unfortunately, I only learnt that the plastic parts are no longer available when I have already sheeted the wings and fuselage. The only way I can think of to finish the model is to redesign the nose section and nacelles as built-up structures.

I made quite a bit of changes here and there. The first being the wings that have transiting HQ profiles instead of the original. The horizontal stabilizer is of sheeted foam core sandwich construction with symmetrical airfoil.

I also want to incorporate rudders which should make turns smoother. I made the vertical fin with semi built-up construction but later found out that my initial intention of using hidden control torque linkage cannot be adopted, due to the interferene with the elevator control horn. So, I redesigned and rebuilt it as a fully built-up structure with solid balsa dorsal fin and the rudder servo hidden within.

Since the cockpit moulding is not available, I redesigned and built-up the nose section, with more scale outline. I wouldn't call it exact scale as I traced the outline from a rather fuzzy 3 view drawing. Although I do not have any means to pull a full nose section from plastic sheets, the 'dome window' and 'cockpit windows' are still pretty manageable with readily available resourses. All these effort just to make my model more scale looking.

In this humid and hot climate of Singapore, every bit of weight saving makes a lot of differences, especially with these brushed motors. As such, with the availability of A123 cells, quickly decided that that's the direction to go. Armed with a brushed motor and Lipo safe ESC, things should more promising than the original setup, I hope.
Joe Yap is offline Find More Posts by Joe Yap
Old Sep 22, 2008, 09:45 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,817 Posts
Hi All,

I was able to borrow back a set of plastic parts for the B-29 nose and nacelles and cast a new set of plugs. I'll be sending them off to a new vacuum former shortly, so if anyone is interested part, please let me know so I know how many to order.

Thanks,

Jim Young
T&J Models
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Last edited by Jim Young; Sep 22, 2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 09:54 AM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,251 Posts
Jim, How much for the nose ( canopy) ? I'd like to get a couple spares just in case.

Stuart
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:21 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Just saw this on the web, too bad!
Mac Hodges b-29 - Crash (3 min 24 sec)
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc