Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:05 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,234 Posts
Randy, I was having a hard time figuring out if the speed 400 6V or 7.2V would have enough thrust to allow my B-29 to ROG . I know that the previous builds were belly floppers so I thought I would probably need a bit more UMPH to get in the air. I went by New Creations RC and talked to Kirk Massey about my dilema. Kirk hooked me up with some NOS ( new old stock) Turbo 10 brushed motors from MEC. Kirk told me that they were using these for DF applications "back in the day". I test ran them with a 4cell A123 and I believe now I have enough to get me airborn. I guess they are a 400 class but more thrust than the SP400 6V / 7.2V. They are probably more in the 480 class. The motors drew 36A ( my esc max) so I will probably be able to draw more once my Griffin 55A gets here.

-Stuart
SRush99 is online now Find More Posts by SRush99
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:32 PM
Joined Aug 2007
102 Posts
SRush99, I know Kirk Massey! I fly out at Barnstormers club, where do you fly at? I would like to see this one in action someday possibly if i can.

Fandango
fandango is offline Find More Posts by fandango
Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:10 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,234 Posts
fandango,
I fly at Northwest R/C field in Hockley. I'll definitely be bringing it to BEST this year.

-Stuart
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:25 PM
Joined Aug 2007
102 Posts
Hey i was just up at Northwest rc here recently with my good friend Don Menk.
And i am also going to be at Best to.
fandango is offline Find More Posts by fandango
Old Jun 01, 2008, 06:27 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,234 Posts
Finally got my B-29 together and took it out Saturday for the maiden flight. I taxi'd out to the runway and took a nice long rollout. A touch of elevator and it was up! At about 30 ft up the vertical stab fluttered so bad it broke off from the fuse . Nothing like a bit of drama on the first flight of a new plane! I was able to turn right and come around to the runway and land towards the edge of our grass runway. A short roll and I hit the tall grass next ro the runway. No harm to the plane except for the stab hanging by a few inches of Ultracote. I had built a functional rudder and in doing so, had a little bit of slop in the linkage. That slop caused the fluttering.

Today I cleaned up the stab and fuse, then epoxied the stab back on. I used round toothpicks to fix the rudder in place - No more functional rudder for me! I still have ground steering since I used a seperate servo for the nose gear.

The plane flew very will with the vertical stab off. It should fly even better with it on!

-Stuart
Old Jun 01, 2008, 06:30 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2002
1,230 Posts
Very nice.

Wade
Wade Joos is offline Find More Posts by Wade Joos
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2008, 08:46 PM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
Okay - that's it - I have to order one now.

Stuart - be on the lookout for a PM from me.

Ted
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Old Jun 01, 2008, 09:10 PM
TRP
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
I think I've taken the right steps:
1) E-mail Jim to get the plans / plastics.
2) E-mail Flying Foam (via their web site form) for the foam.

At this point - I've got the cash in my paypal account, I just need to know who gets it and how much.

Ted
Old Jun 02, 2008, 11:08 AM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99
Finally got my B-29 together and took it out Saturday for the maiden flight. I taxi'd out to the runway and took a nice long rollout. A touch of elevator and it was up! At about 30 ft up the vertical stab fluttered so bad it broke off from the fuse . Nothing like a bit of drama on the first flight of a new plane! I was able to turn right and come around to the runway and land towards the edge of our grass runway. A short roll and I hit the tall grass next ro the runway. No harm to the plane except for the stab hanging by a few inches of Ultracote. I had built a functional rudder and in doing so, had a little bit of slop in the linkage. That slop caused the fluttering.

Today I cleaned up the stab and fuse, then epoxied the stab back on. I used round toothpicks to fix the rudder in place - No more functional rudder for me! I still have ground steering since I used a seperate servo for the nose gear.

The plane flew very will with the vertical stab off. It should fly even better with it on!

-Stuart
What is AUW???
Thank you,
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Jun 02, 2008, 09:00 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,234 Posts
Sorry Salat, I don't have scales that measure > 1 lb.

-Stuart
Old Jun 02, 2008, 09:06 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,787 Posts
The design weight is between 4lbs. and 4.5lbs.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Jun 03, 2008, 01:23 PM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
so what is wing loading? I'm building B-29 from Guillow's kit now and trying to estimate target weight
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Jun 03, 2008, 05:08 PM
TRP
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
I've never done this calculation before, but based on what formulas I've found on line - I'll give it a shot... (ted opens self up to ridicule of his peers...)

Span: 80
Chord Length(s): Root 9.5 / Tip 4.625

If we use the formula of span x (root chord + tip chord)/2 = wing area

80 x (9.5 + 6.265)/2

80 x (15.75)/2

80 x 7.875 = 630 sq in

630 / 144 to get that value to sq/ft = 4.375 sq/ft

4.5 oz AUW - need to convert that to lbs

4.5 x 16 = 72oz

72 / 4.375 = 16.475 oz./ft2

Am I Close?

What does that mean?
As a guide, for model rc airplanes, if the wing loading is under 10 ounces per square foot, they will be suitable for the slow flying, gentle handling that you need electric rc airplanes used as basic trainers. From 10 to 20 ounces per square foot will include intermediate trainers, flying a little faster, having more power and being a little more demanding in terms of needing a bit more speed for landing and taking off.
Old Jun 03, 2008, 06:20 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,234 Posts
Ted,Ted, you're making my brain hurt! Just build one and fly it!

Consider too if you want to hand launch or ROG. I added a bit hotter motors on mine since I added a set of Spring-air retracts. I also had the "G" factor ( grass ). Mine flew very nicely - as you described, like an advanced trainer even without the vertical stab. On my maiden I took a very long roll on takeoff once airborne, it rose to 30 ft without any issues. The turns were slow ( I was taking it easy due to the stab) and returned to the field. The descent rate was good with plenty of elevator authority. Reading past threads, the plane looks like it acts similar to my easy glider taking off from a hand launch. I think you'd really like flying one.

-Stuart
Old Jun 03, 2008, 07:18 PM
TRP
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99
Ted,Ted, you're making my brain hurt! Just build one and fly it!

-Stuart
Oh - just to be clear; I'm the build it and fly it kind of guy.

I was just trying to help Kostya figure out the answer to his question.