HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:57 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Bomberguy welcome on board this thread, What to do you think if i make necelles from foam and then glass them, and do built up cowls for my Bomber?, I dont want to put anyone down but i know due to so thin lexan used to form the necelles halfs it would be difficult to work them by myself....

Bomberguy you workmenshis is great and your B29 looks super!!!, now what do you honestly think of my conversion?...you can PM if you want...
Right now i am working on developing engine mounts, i want to keep my engines on side also so that is what i am currently working/experimanting on.

Jim,

I hear ya...

Cheers,
Sammy

Cheers
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:17 PM
Turrets Syndrome?
Marina Del Rey California
Joined Dec 2003
1,543 Posts
LOL Sammy, that's not my B-29. I have been contributing to the EAM B-17 thread though (see below). I think your conversion is a difficult one and will require a lot of modification to make it work. I would use built up nacelles like the ones in the photos to properly mount the engines and fuel tanks. Electric is really the way to go on this one, but I would like to see you succeed if you are determined to go IC. It would certainly be unique but if you want my honest opinion, I think a plane like this would have a very short life because of the reliability factor. I've seen many IC multis bite the dust including one of my own due to engine failure. But if you pull it off it will be one of the coolest planes at the field and I sure would like to see it fly!
Bomberguy is offline Find More Posts by Bomberguy
Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:05 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
I started to work on engine mounting system, since i want to mount my engines on the sides so i came up with this way of mounts.

This mount is just an experiment mount for now but if it turned out that it can handle engine vibrations and stesses of all 3 stages of throttle ranges then this will be my way of making rest of mounts. I will be reinforcing my mounts with resin and fiberglass cloth from out side.

I used hard wood 1/4" square stocks and sandwitched them in between 1/8" lit plywood rails, to create this mounting system.

Sammy
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:54 AM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
Condorefan, et al

I've had a change of heart. One of the other users ( I think it was RandyL) said something which rang true in my mind. If doing a glow conversion is what makes the hobby fun for you - then go for it!

How many times have I been told to not convert a glow plane to electric? If I had listened I wouldn't have a monster Hacker powered 66" P-47 sitting in my garage waiting to be maidened (wait... maybe I should have listened to them! )

At any rate - make it safe and have fun with it.

Ted
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:32 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
With all due respect, here is the correct forum for your internal combustion B-29.
Please start a thread there or RC Uinverse. This is an electric RC Forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:07 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I reality this is electric model, which i am converting into glow, since everything about it has been discussed on this thread i'd suggest we leave it here. I am sure it will not workout as i would have to go back and forth to gain information about this model in electric and glow sections...

Its very easy here to get hold of all the guys who have built this model in past to share there thoughts also...

Cheers,
Sammy
Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:35 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Morning Guys,

I am sure you must be thinking that i left this thread, but in reality no i haven't, i am just taking some time to to help move my half family to west end of Canada, i mean to B.C, i will start building this B-29 once things settle out in weeks time hopefully, as tp update, i have recieved 2 .074 Norvels so far and will be gettign another 4 NIB very soon also, with these i have also recieved one 2oz fuel tank!, so i am pretty well on my way....

Cheers,
Sammy
Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:36 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Ok few days ago i was sitting with few of guys who have build and flown number of multi glow engined powered models, and they all said i could have problems with glow set up specially on Norvals!, so after listening to them and pondering on this aspect i finally had change of mind and now its going to be as designed and flown by many here....

Instead of keeping all 4 motors as speed 400 i bought 2 as speed 480 for inboards engines and brushed ESC, this way if i decide in future to install retracts then extra power will be there and i wont be switching motors then.....Soon i will be start to sheet the wing cores followed by fuselage cores...

Cheers,
Sammy
Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:16 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
892 Posts
Having built and flown an IC B-29 when it came time to go the next step for the USAF's next heavy bomber the choice was easy - electric. However, nothing makes my hair stand on end more than 4 glow engines running up prior to take off. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Apr 15, 2006, 02:09 AM
The Netherlands, NB, Hapert
Joined Apr 2002
1,284 Posts
heres mine

..from way back...we had a squadron on here at one time !!
Warbird@home is offline Find More Posts by Warbird@home
Old Apr 17, 2006, 07:16 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Boomerang1,

What size of glow engines did you used on this B-29?, i was going to use Norvel .074 Bigmigs on my models before i changed my mind for go with electric set up and then how did you mounted those engine?, did you made new engine necelles or used lexon one's that came with the short kit?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:11 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
892 Posts
Whoa, whoa Concordefan! It's a scratch built model much bigger than the one in this thread, 100 inch span, 15 pounds with a pair of 40's & a pair 0f 20's. Engine vibration was a big problem & I had to make up aluminium plates screwed to the backplates of the motors & these were rubber mounted to the firewall.

Mufflers, throttle linkages, 4 x fuel tanks, oil all over the model after every flight, one litre of fuel per flight - on the eighth day God gave us electric power and all were happy! - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Jun 01, 2006, 02:15 PM
Tarzana, Ca
Joined May 2005
119 Posts
What happened?

We were all looking forward to the maiden flight of your B29 and the thread just dissappered. What happened? Boomerang, I think you killed his spirit !!!
Ed
epagel is offline Find More Posts by epagel
Last edited by epagel; Aug 06, 2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:54 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,011 Posts
Found this video of Jim Young's B-29 flown at this summer's Mid-Am electirc fly in Northville Mchigan

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=33

very nice
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:21 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,775 Posts
Video

Hi Jim,

I hadn't seen that video before, thanks for posting it.

It was a nice day out at the PMAC club for "Electrics over White Lake" yesterday. I got a few flights in with the B-29, and it is still going strong. I toasted the ESC a while back. It had been salvage from another crash, and the PCB was bent a bit. I guess one of the FETs was bad. It's now flying with an "ancient" Jomar brushed controller which has a cool soft start feature.

Jim

P.S. I still have plenty of vacuum formed parts and plans available.
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young