HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2003, 05:50 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcav8r2
Perry; thanks for the feedback. I'll stick with what is proven power wise. No use re-inventing the wheel.
Also glad to hear reception is no issue. I have a 555.

Another ?: Are the Shotkey Diodes necessary on the motors? I've used them on 05 cans, but not the speed 400s.

Hopefull Steve will chime in on the gear.

THANKS again
Not a problem. Glad I could help.

You won't need schotkey diodes. I don't have them on any of my planes including the Martin Mars and I have four Mag Mayhems in her.

My antenna runs through the fuse all the way to the back of the rear gun barrel. I have the new Litenna http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=118944 from Jim Mcpherson which should eliminate the unsightly antenna lead running out the back. Once I install it, I will let you know how it works. I have read that these new antennas are very good and eliminate alot of receiver glitching issues plus you can install them entirely in the inside of your plane without any problems.

Here is a pic of my '29 on her maiden. Look at the back and you can see the antenna lead poking out. Grrrrrr.......
Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2003, 07:39 AM
detroit
Joined Jan 2002
110 Posts
thanks for photos

still working on 108 wing span B36?
vulkinite is offline Find More Posts by vulkinite
Old Dec 03, 2003, 12:10 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Re: thanks for photos

Quote:
Originally posted by vulkinite
still working on 108 wing span B36?
Can't find my plans. I think I might have loaned them out. I will have to make a few phone calls to locate them.

Perry
Old Dec 08, 2003, 07:52 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,790 Posts
Hi All,

I got over to see Dennis' shop again and picked up some of his CNC cut parts for the B-29. The parts are coming out great and match up to the plans very well. They are much better than what I could do manually and his price is pretty reasonable. If you interested in this model, drop him a line for parts.

I still have 3 sets of vacuum formed parts left.

He also showed me some pieces for his B-36, and it is impressive. Dennis is able to cut some very complex shapes and has included slots for some internal structure. The wing will be huge and may need a spar or two.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:31 PM
Vertically challenged.
Peachland B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2002
352 Posts
Hi everyone.

I have just recieved a set of plans and nacelles/nose for my birthday (thanks Huckebien)

Just a thought and I would like everyones input.
I have 4 of the geared GWS EPS 300c's. Can I use these instead of the 4 speed 400's? My understanding is that it will fly a little slower than the direct 400's and that I will have way less amp draw with the geared motors. Is this correct and if not can some of you guys explain why?

This will be my first multimotor project so this is pretty new to me.

Thanks for the input and have a Merry Xmas.

Kevin.
vise101 is offline Find More Posts by vise101
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:44 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
I'd stick with the proven set-up. I've been flying mine for 2 years now on direct sp 400.

You can always throttle back as I do once I ROG.

BTW Perry I had my first crack up. Was taking off and just as I got airborne she snapped to the left and broke the wing off from tip to the first engine.

Fuse managed to be spared and it's a good thing too after putting the new clear nose on with all the interior details.

Wing and nacelle was repaired in one night.

Upon inspection of the equipment to find the cause I found that the RX antenna came loose at the receiver.

I account this too placing the plane upside down in the cradle to mount the wings over two years.

Since the ant was attached to the tail, when placed in the cradle it would stretch the antenna. Could of been worse and I'll never do that again.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:49 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Here's the nose I'm referring to if you didn't see it many pages back.

I used the aluminum taped Jim referred to a ways back. Works very well, cheap and has no writing on it. Got it from Home Depot.

Steve
Old Dec 14, 2003, 06:21 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by U812

BTW Perry I had my first crack up. Was taking off and just as I got airborne she snapped to the left and broke the wing off from tip to the first engine.

Fuse managed to be spared and it's a good thing too after putting the new clear nose on with all the interior details.

Wing and nacelle was repaired in one night.

Upon inspection of the equipment to find the cause I found that the RX antenna came loose at the receiver.

I account this too placing the plane upside down in the cradle to mount the wings over two years.

Since the ant was attached to the tail, when placed in the cradle it would stretch the antenna. Could of been worse and I'll never do that again.

Steve
D'oh!
I hate it when that happens! At least she wasn't a total write off. I am replacing my antenna with one of those new Litennas to prevent this sort of problem in the future. Check out the thread here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=118944
Old Dec 14, 2003, 07:11 PM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
602 Posts
Kevin, I too have better than 2 years of flying on my direct drive 400's. I see no need to use anything else. What you have may or may not work well enough but the extremely cheap 400's do work great. I'd save the 300 gear drives for something else if it were me. At about $4 ea for the 400's you can hardly go wrong with a proven setup. Then again, you may teach us something with the gear drives....

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Old Dec 14, 2003, 09:38 PM
Vertically challenged.
Peachland B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2002
352 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.
I know the proven setup will work great and what I think I will do is make the motor mounts removable so I can experiment with drives. Like I mentioned before I do have 4 of these things lying around and want to put them in something. Basically if I do this I have all the gear I need. Programable ESC, 3 1500 Kokam packs etc. I know that the amp draw will be much lower and I am looking also for longer flight times at a scale like speed.
If no-one has done this yet I will step up and let you guys know but I thought I would get some feedback first.

Thanks.
Kevin.
vise101 is offline Find More Posts by vise101
Old Dec 15, 2003, 05:44 AM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
602 Posts
Kevin... I'm all for it but wanted you to know that the direct 400's work very well. Do you have any prop in mind yet? What is the gear ratio on your 300's?
I'm putting a pair of geared 400's on a project that I've been told will not hand launch due to prop tip speed or some such thing...too techy of me. If it blows enough air, it'll fly.. or not.

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Last edited by RandyL; Dec 15, 2003 at 05:48 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 05:56 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudderman98

Sorry. Can't help you on the landing gear issue for I have none on mine. Maybe Steve will jump in.
Perry
So any suggestions on landing gear???
Thanks
rcav8r2 is online now Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:53 PM
Oviedo,FL
Joined Dec 2000
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcav8r2
So any suggestions on landing gear???
Thanks
I was thinking of trying these- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXES09&P=7

And this- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXES10&P=7

Construction on mine has come to a standstill with the holidays and all. So far I have all the parts cut out and the fuse sheeted and glassed. Still have to sheet and bag the wings.
R. Carver is offline Find More Posts by R. Carver
Last edited by R. Carver; Dec 21, 2003 at 10:58 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:33 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
The only trouble you'll have is getting the tires up all the way into the wing.

You need to extend the nacelles to accommodate this as in the real plane. The airfoil is just too darn thin back there.

I would use air powered retracts too. Getting a mechanical retract to work is going to take some fancy pluming in the wings.

I got lazy and just used fixed gear. BTW they work just great. It's a real treat to watch her rotate off the runway and the taxi back gets everyone’s attention.

Good luck with it and be sure to post pictures of your work.

Steve
Old Dec 26, 2003, 06:27 PM
Dallas, Tx
Joined Jan 2003
415 Posts
Steve

Ive been watching the progress of your wonderful looking b-29.. I've been debating on building one with a wingspan of 180".. you have enspired me to start construction. The planed powerplant will be 4 astro 40's running on 48 cells.. I will start this project as soon as I bust out my other 2 projects, a cessna 150, and a RES sailplane...

Arnold
ps
keep up the good work!
ArnoldC is offline Find More Posts by ArnoldC