Old Oct 10, 2003, 03:55 AM
detroit
Joined Jan 2002
110 Posts
b29

i have bought 3 sheets of foam white
adrian is a 2hour one way drive for me
i just need to know were to go
as i dont want to drive out there and not find it?
or worse to find that they are closed or some thing stupid
Im cutting out 6 planes for now
vulkinite is offline Find More Posts by vulkinite
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2003, 09:09 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Jim,

Got my parts today all in one piece. Thanks very much and just in time for my up coming event Nov 9th.

I'm going to put some fixed gear on mine (getting tired of hand launching), add a few more details and add the clear nose.

I'll post pictures soon if you guys would like to see.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:43 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by U812
Jim,

Got my parts today all in one piece. Thanks very much and just in time for my up coming event Nov 9th.

I'm going to put some fixed gear on mine (getting tired of hand launching), add a few more details and add the clear nose.

I'll post pictures soon if you guys would like to see.

Steve

Fixed gear and tired of handlaunching??
Whatsamattau Steve? You getting lazy lol!!

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:32 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Naw.......just looks so cool taking off the runway. Then there's the landing and the taxi back.

I'll just keep it in a knife edge all the time so you can't see the gear hanging down After all it will have a rudder now, Rudderman!

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:50 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by U812
Naw.......just looks so cool taking off the runway. Then there's the landing and the taxi back.

I'll just keep it in a knife edge all the time so you can't see the gear hanging down After all it will have a rudder now, Rudderman!

Steve
LOL!

Okay Steve.

Perry
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:52 AM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Me too!

Parts and plans in today, all in good shape. That clear nose piece is *huge*! It could double as a cereal bowl until I begin building.

Now, I'm waiting to get PayPal doing its thing! Day before yesterday, it said the "transaction" should be complete on the 14th. I checked it today, and it says it should be complete on the 15th!

Not actually a problem with PayPal, just with my understanding (or lack thereof,) of how it works.

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL

----------------------------
I crash, therefore, I FLY!
There is no one true way.
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike
Old Oct 15, 2003, 07:02 AM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
603 Posts
Jim, I am taking my parts out to the field for our Wed eve fly...just to gloat a bit!

I've sent mail to Dennis also, hope to get in line for some foam parts. I'm sure he can do WAY better than anything I could hack out on my own.

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Old Oct 15, 2003, 08:39 AM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
603 Posts
I've added an extra picture page to my B-29 site. It's purpose is to show more of the building process. While no text is involved ( yet) it may help to show how my first kit was built.

To view, go to my homepage and select the B-29 site...a link at the bottom of the B-29 page should take you to the extra pictures page.

http://www.flyinglindy.homestead.com/index1.html

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Last edited by RandyL; Oct 16, 2003 at 06:45 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 08:56 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
Chrome dome

Hi All,

It sounds like you've all started to receive your parts. I'm glad they are come through okay. I was worried about the small boxes and the USPS crushing them.

I got a chance to get mine covered last night. I'm using aluminum "duct" tape that I picked up at the local home improvement box. The nose is quite flexible, so you'll need to support it from behind when you burnish the tape down. But don't worry, I don't think you can crease the plastic. At least I haven't been able to.

Rob asked me a few construction questions, and I thought I'd share the answers here. Other who have already built one, feel free to chime in.

1.) I used 1/16"x4"x48" balsa to skin the wings. You'll need 8 sheets and you'll need to trim a 1" sliver near the wing tip and glue it back on at the root to get the 9" cord covered.

2.) The motors I've used are the 6V SP400, and others have used the 7.2V motors. The Graupner scale props are available from Hobby Lobby and are 6.5x4. I think 8 cells is the sweet spot for this model, as others who have started with 7, say 8 is much better. There is a guy out West using LiPo's and getting 20+ minute flights with retracts. I'm using 8xCP2400's.

3.) The motors are wired in parallel. This mean that each motor "sees" the entire battery voltage. There are two wires running into each wing panel. At the inboard motor, the wires connect to that motor and continue out to the outboard motor. I used 13 AWG, but that is over kill, it's what I had on hand. There will be about 20A running into each wing, and about 10A running from the inboard motor to the outboard motor. Your ESC will need to be able to handle 40A continuous. I had an Astro 204 on hand, and it works fine. I have yet to come up with a good way of cooling the ESC and batteries. Any suggestions?

4.) Use fiber reinforced packing tape to mount the motors. I used cable ties and after the first flight the motors were about 1/4" farther forward than when it took off!

Good luck!

-Jim
Jim Young is online now Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:41 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Excellent job on the nose, that tape looks great.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Oct 15, 2003, 02:24 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quick tip. In the UK you can get fabulous sticky backed aluminiumn tape from a builders merchant that specialies in INSULATION. Its made for sealing gaps in Celotex/Kingspan foil backed insulation panels, and is about 3" wide and probably 10m on a roll or more. Pick up some blue foam while you are at it as well.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 15, 2003, 02:34 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
Aluminum Tape

Thanks for the tip. The stuff I'm using is "high temperature" duct tape. I came across it while I was sealing all the new duct work in my new house. It has some red printing on it, but it comes off with alcohol. I would not use it on the whole plane (heavy), but it burnishes down pretty good, and sticks well. Be careful with the edges, it will give you one heck of a paper cut!

-Jim
Jim Young is online now Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Oct 15, 2003, 03:02 PM
Joined Sep 2003
7 Posts
Jim, I am into scale electrics and live in Brighton Mi. Please email me at jswint@comcast.net and we can talk.
jimjet is offline Find More Posts by jimjet
Old Oct 16, 2003, 12:22 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Decals

If you want a good source for custom made decals for your B-29, email FANMAN rcplan@bellsouth.net for a quote. Send him your artwork and he can scale it to your '29 as he did mine and viola'. They are printed on very nice vinyl and the globe on the dorsal fin is a scanned picture from a Squadron publication. I'm sure he could do up some noseart that is exact to your specs.

Perry
Last edited by Rudderman98; Oct 16, 2003 at 12:32 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 12:58 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
If your interested in how I assembled my B-29, go here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=26582

Jim has done an awesome job in re-creating this wonderful kit. Thanks for keeping the '29 alive!

Perry
Last edited by Rudderman98; Oct 16, 2003 at 01:02 AM.