Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:21 PM
Afghanistanimation
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Sep 2006
1,171 Posts
Build Log
Black Hawk 3D Pro build

I received my BH3D Pro today. $50 for the frame and no electronics is not too much but my old Walkera 22E/ 22A project was going no where fast. I have put the 22E/ 22A back to its original configuration and realized that sucker is really hard to set up and fly. This BH3D pro is what I am going to use the Walkera 22E electronics on. Mainly just the servos, esc, bl motor, and Lipo's.

The kit is extremely light and fragile in areas not requiring much strength but the main frame and main gear seem solid. The head assembly seems quite free of any slop from what I can tell right now compared with the Walkera 22E head which has excessive amounts of play right out of the box.

The servos for the Walkera 22E fit perfect in the kit. Only problem is that you have to remove the mounting tabs for the cyclic servos by cutting them off. The kit specifically says not to do this for the tail rotor servo for obvious reasons.
johnnychimpo is offline Find More Posts by johnnychimpo
Last edited by johnnychimpo; Jan 09, 2007 at 04:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2007, 10:48 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
I did almost the same thing. I've been pretty disgusted with my 22E, but I think this BH3D Pro is great. I only used the Walkera BL motor and ESC on it though and I've only hovered it, but I love not having to deal with a tail motor. Keep us posted on your progress.

-JT
jtspin is offline Find More Posts by jtspin
Old Jan 09, 2007, 03:43 PM
Afghanistanimation
Joined Sep 2006
1,171 Posts
Project complete. It have hovered 5 times so far. Waiting to go out side with it when the wind dies down!!
Old Jan 09, 2007, 10:06 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
Where'd you get the screws to mount the Walkera motor? I had to really kludge mine together using the short screws and sliding the supplied mounts all the way to the front after enlarging the slots in the frame.

-JT
Old Jan 09, 2007, 11:13 PM
Afghanistanimation
Joined Sep 2006
1,171 Posts
I have a few hdx300 screw bags laying around and the ones that hold and tighten the tail boom are the right size and length for it. Yeah, had that issues as well and almost went looking for another motor that the screws would work in.
Old Jan 09, 2007, 11:23 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
Let me know what you think of the Walkera motor on the BH3D Pro. I was real happy with mine until I think I burned it up. I'm still not sure what went wrong. I took it off the BH to try on the 22E again and, after crashing that, I put it back on the BH. I was hovering and knew something wasn't quite right, but I kept flying anyway. When I started to smell something burning, I finally landed. You could have fried an egg on the motor. I think the gear lash was set too tight, but I can't be sure.

I decided to get the Century outrunner, but it doesn't work with the Walkera ESC. Have any experience with ESC's for outrunners?

-JT
Old Jan 09, 2007, 11:39 PM
Afghanistanimation
Joined Sep 2006
1,171 Posts
Im running a sonix 18amp on my hdx300 outrunner. The ESC should work but i dunno. Might be a walkera thing. I burned out my old walkera esc a while ago. The BH seems to be running the walkera BL motor a bit warm and the battery as well. I made sure my mesh was loose. Seems to be flying alot better than my 22E though.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:22 AM
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
My Walkera motor got kind of warm on both my 22E and my BH. The Walkera ESC doesn't always get the Century outrunner to spin up, but once it's spinning it seems okay. I just don't think I can walk over to the heli and give the blades a spin to get the motor going!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:21 AM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
with the century outrunner I am using an Appolo 25 esc ...good for 4 servos and very easily accomendates 3s lipos.... If you fellows haven't yet then check out this thread ...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=497114....Tom
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:08 AM
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, TooTall.

-JT
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:21 AM
Afghanistanimation
Joined Sep 2006
1,171 Posts
Thanks TooTall.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 04:46 PM
Afghanistanimation
Joined Sep 2006
1,171 Posts
I have about 8 flights on this puppy and i LOVE IT! Forget the Walkera 22E. For $50!! wow, i spent almost 2 times this in parts for the damn 22E and it flys like crap!!